Purchasing an ISBN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, Bowker and Amazon will sell you ISBN's for $99-$125 a piece....is there anywhere I can go to, to purchase them cheaper? I mean they're just codes, so how expensive can they be? Does it matter that I'm in Canada and not the US?

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
They are free...but its a government run office. And bureaucracy is always a problem. I wanted believe it or not to publish my book tomorrow but I guess that's not likely to be possible. I already did register on that office for an account but they said it would take 7-10 business days just to do that!

I'd rather pay a few bucks to get a fast one, but I want it to be a REAL ISBN but not too expensive. Lets face it, authors aren't rich before publishing so money is always an issue.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to appear as the publisher of record you can only buy ISBNs from the organisation which issues them, as they are registered to the purchaser.

If you've only just found out about ISBNs then I suspect you're not properly prepared to publish: please don't rush at this. It's better to do it properly than to make mistakes which might well come back and bite you.

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
If you want to appear as the publisher of record you can only buy ISBNs from the organisation which issues them, as they are registered to the purchaser.

If you've only just found out about ISBNs then I suspect you're not properly prepared to publish: please don't rush at this. It's better to do it properly than to make mistakes which might well come back and bite you.

anything useful to add?

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
I've just lost any desire to help you at all.

Go read the The Newbie Guide to Absolute Write

What is this? I expect better behavior especially from someone with an admin account.

Back to the topic at hand, I am doing my research, which why I am non this forum, asking questions. I'm already having enough pressure and don't need the blatantly obvious and arrogance and lecturing of others pushing down on me. All I am here for is asking questions.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
What is this? I expect better behavior especially from someone with an admin account.

Back to the topic at hand, I am doing my research, which why I am non this forum, asking questions. I'm already having enough pressure and don't need the blatantly obvious and arrogance and lecturing of others pushing down on me. All I am here for is asking questions.

Wow.

:popcorn:

Wolf Coven

Banned
Reaction score
moving on.....

Anyone know of any other sources of ISBN numbers that are reliable and verifiable? I know Canadians can get theirs for free, but it may literally take weeks just to do it. ISBNs are government runs and after we all have had our joyous experiences at post offices and DMV's bureaucracy is something most people dread.

Anyone know of any other reliable sources for ISBN numbers which are affordable? Writers aren't rich when we start.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

I'll tell you what it is, Mr Coven. It's the sound of you earning yourself a five-day ban for being rude to our Admin, after she objected to your being rude to me.

And for being rude to people who are trying to help you. I'll give you a clue: that's not going to work well here.

moving on.....

Anyone know of any other sources of ISBN numbers that are reliable and verifiable? I know Canadians can get theirs for free, but it may literally take weeks just to do it. ISBNs are government runs and after we all have had our joyous experiences at post offices and DMV's bureaucracy is something most people dread.

Anyone know of any other reliable sources for ISBN numbers which are affordable? Writers aren't rich when we start.

I already answered that question. You know, in the post you responded to like this:

anything useful to add?

I'll repeat my response in the hope that you'll understand it this time:

I hope that's clear.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

How nice for you. I'm going to free you to gorge yourself on the Kindle boards.

You're not welcome here.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
anything useful to add?

You may not realize it now, but this comment was incredibly disrespectful. You signed up as a member of AW to ask questions and receive help. When you didn't receive the response you expected, you disrespected another member. A member who is also a moderator. Then you said this:

How likely do you think that makes any of us to want to help you?

I hope you seriously take a step back and realize how you're coming across. It doesn't bode well for you.

ETA: It doesn't bode well at all, I see.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The op was rude, but the topic might be something another AWer is interested in, so I will say that it's very easy for Canadians to get ISBNs. There is no bureaucracy. You open an account - took 2 days for me - and you fill out the log sheet and are given the ISBN instantly.

Deleted member 42

The op was rude, but the topic might be something another AWer is interested in, so I will say that it's very easy for Canadians to get ISBNs.

If the OP had been arsed enough to read, the complete procedure was provided in the third post in the thread:

It does matter that you're in Canada; Google a bit more, but I bookmarked this a while ago:

http://randolphlalonde.blogspot.com/2010/05/getting-your-free-isbn-in-canada.html

Status
Not open for further replies.