ebook before paperback

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you rattitude, that really helps a techo dummy like me. I want to get used to all the bells and whistles they have there. Heck, I can't even quote from here yet, though I have the instructions. I'm still learning so much.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Sorry, but no. The author should never buy copies of their book to send to reviewers.

Again, it's the publisher's job to send review copies, not the author's. This is yet another example of the money flowing the wrong way. A memoir author who posts a review of another book (and, yanno, most other authors don't even post reviews) isn't likely to generate enough extra sales to justify the author's expense.

Joining forums for the purpose of promoting your own book is a Really Bad Idea. Joining them because one wants to be a member is fine, and there might be occasional opportunities to mention your book. But most forums (including AW, actually) have strict rules regarding self-promotion. People don't join forums to have stuff sold to them.

1.) Even if my publisher told me they were sending to 100,000 reviewers I would still send to more. It it the publishers job alone to get word out. Any good author would bust their ass and send out as many as possible, not be lazy.

2.) I never said to join forums to promote. To talk and tell story, yes, no promotion alone no. Forums are a GREAT place to tell your agoraphobia story. In conversation plugging your memior, there is nothing wrong with that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Elindson: if you have a good publisher then when you find someone who might usefully review your book, you contact the publisher and let them know and they will send a book out on your behalf. You don't have to buy the book, you don't have to pay for it: the publisher takes care of that for you.

And yes, forums are a great place to talk about things but if you join them specifically to promote your products, whether those products are books or something else, then you're going to irritate people. By all means become part of a community and discuss your books along the way: but joining with the sole intention of promotion isn't a good way to go.

mayaone

Registered
Reaction score
good news. a mental health agency (self help wants to help me sell books. They say they will buy mine in bulk and arrange for me to speak and sell books. I have belonged to this group for many years and I just called the director. He said he would also pay me to speak in front of many groups as a consumer who has fought the illness. I never even asked. Mental health is a hot topic right now in the news. This decade will be the one that changes how the mentally ill are perceived and treated. Thank you Erika for your support

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.