Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Been a long time since I posted here- I just sent out a new batch of queries last week- nothing nada zilch- not even a form rejection- well I did get an automatic reply that my query was recieved-

Now I remember why its been so long since I've been on this ride-

(( to everyone who is waiting )))

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) Boo on the Rs and the mumbling doctor.

Mario, lol! And also congrats!

Kellion, ugh on reading crappy crap. My brain needed a break after a few disappointing reads (and my wallet a break from book buying), so I've been rereading HP. Gods, I love those books. They have plenty of flaws, but JKR is such a good storyteller that I don't care. For a brief time, I get to regress and be a little less jaded about this business.

ETA: Welcome back, Shea. Or not since this is the Pit. ;) We are sorry (happy) to see you.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read HP in awhile, Ink. When I can't find books I love, I also like to revisit favorites to recalibrate my idea of excellent. Still, right now I need to slog through books that are "publishable." That level of quality seems achievable, and yet being published does not...

Welcome to the Pit, Shea. May your stay be brief.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Mario!!!!

Glad you and Gram are getting better. Sorry it was a wasted doctor's visit. Next time hit him up for some drug samples. Dude! I came here for nothing, at least you could drop a little something on me.

DUDE doctors down there need to offer money back guarantees. What a rip off!! :rant:

Who's Gram?

Seriously, this is the first and last time I go to this guy. Aside from practicing in a building that could've been in Compton, he was about 149. He mumbled. I said, "Can you please speak up? I'm hearing impaired." Not only did he look annoyed, but he started talking like *I* was 149. So degrading. Deaf people aren't stupid, and yeah, I get that it's annoying to have to repeat yourself, but really, it's not my fault. Stop mumbling and enunciate and we'll get along just fine.

I've had my quotient of asshatery this week. Sheesh!

And again...:rant: What an asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being hearing impaired doesn't mean you're stupid. Grrrrr

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
{{Sheadakota}} Welcome back. Not that you wanna be pulled back down here, but welcome anyway

OOH Ink I plan to re-read the HP series. Can't wait. I don't mind if a story has flaws, so long as it's a good one!

" books that are "publishable." That level of quality seems achievable, and yet being published does not..." <- ooh Kellion you took the thoughts right out of my brain

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Who's Gram?

Seriously, this is the first and last time I go to this guy. Aside from practicing in a building that could've been in Compton, he was about 149. He mumbled. I said, "Can you please speak up? I'm hearing impaired." Not only did he look annoyed, but he started talking like *I* was 149. So degrading. Deaf people aren't stupid, and yeah, I get that it's annoying to have to repeat yourself, but really, it's not my fault. Stop mumbling and enunciate and we'll get along just fine.

I've had my quotient of asshatery this week. Sheesh!

Yay Mario!!!!

Yay Gram!!! (Snappy's Gram?)

Hugs for Cricket. Hope you feel better and get a new doctor.

Didn't mean to baffle you, Cricket. Yes, I was combining general health wishes for you and Snappy's Gram.

Also: fucking jerkface doctor. I cannot figure how it is that people are soooo ignorant.

Welcome back, Shea. Sorry to see you here, but there's always room under the couch for another.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
*bows to Steve* you are our new Pit overlord

Pitizens alter egos...

Ink -> Dr. Ink
Red -> Darling Killer
Steve -> Pit Overlord

Yes, it is Thursday. The day my mind officially shuts down for the weekend.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Snappy, I'm a serial editor, so I just don't know if I could move forward because that problem area would niggle at my brain. But do what works best.

Cheers to serial editors. Trying not to look back and slug forward. *hugs* and feel better! That virus is a doozy.

Didn't mean to baffle you, Cricket. Yes, I was combining general health wishes for you and Snappy's Gram.

Thanks! Grams and I are feeling better, thank goodness. We're celebrating her 80th birthday in a few weeks and I want that woman to live until 110 at least!

(((Shea))) Back in the Pit. Do we ever really leave?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I should not leave the Pit. Argggh.

These last two weeks of summer are shaping up so poorly so that, summer lover that I am (not the Darryl Hannah/Peter Gallagher kind -- the other kind), I am yearning for fall.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Pitizens alter egos...

Ink -> Dr. Ink
Red -> Darling Killer
Steve -> Pit Overlord

Yes, it is Thursday. The day my mind officially shuts down for the weekend.

Isn't that the sad truth? The whole 5-day, 40-hour work week is such a joke. I'm only of any use at my job for about 6 hours a day, 4 days a week. If they would let me come in just those hours, I could get my work done easily. Especially considering the other 16 hours a week I'm useless AND miserable.

I hope lwalker won't mind if I borrow and correct this for the Pit.

You know what I’ve learned from these wonderful people? Writing is awesome. Publishing kind of sucks.

You wait and you wangst and you make yourself sick over querying, and then you find an agent and it’s like the skies have opened and the angels sing ... for about a week. Then you do your revisions and go on sub and there’s MORE wangst and waiting. Then you sell a book. Wahey! Nothing can be better than THIS high, right? Until you get close to release and make yourself sick again worrying about sales. Then it releases and you continue to eat tums by the jar while you obsessively check your amazon ranking. You cry over every lousy review, simultaneously lamenting that the 20 other people who LOVED your book must be illiterate hicks, and the only person who’s intelligent is the guy who panned it.

Then the publisher calls with an offer for your next book. Lather, rinse, repeat. ;)
you lose your agent and start over from scratch.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another version:

You wait and you wangst and you make yourself sick over querying and start over from scratch.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
all i do is wait...and hate my writing...and wait some more...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Red, YES - 6 hours per day, 4 days per week is perfect. The rest of the time...nada. And that's perfect for the Pit or Kellion's version.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
*rant warning :rant:*

See this one right here in the siggy - > CODE BLACK (UF w/ Rom. - 43k/90k) - WIP ? If that one doesn't change to 90k in the next two months, please beat me over the head with the maggot bong. Slugged out 600 words last night, but took two hours. TOO FRIGGIN SLOW! I HATE THIS WIP! I want the first draft finished.

*rant over*

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
{{{Snappy}}}

LOL, Soul & Snappy. I like Pit Overlord. But the Hellhounds will still bite me in the ass

Kell, I know that feeling about reading a debut and thinking huh? but then I read others and am like wow, I can't match that. So I'm stuck between "Why not my crap?" and "Damn, my crap will never sell!"

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Steve, I don't know which hurts more. I think "Why not my crap?" is a little more painful, because underneath I'm thinking, "Am I actually worse than this? I must be worse than this or I wouldn't have been so soundly ignored."

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Yeah, Steve, I don't know which hurts more. I think "Why not my crap?" is a little more painful, because underneath I'm thinking, "Am I actually worse than this? I must be worse than this or I wouldn't have been so soundly ignored."

And this is what differentiates between regular writers and Speshul Snowflakes. Nicorns always assume that the reason they haven't sold is the ignorance of agents/editors/the reading public.

Writers like you and me, we are consumed by doubts about whether we're just producing sub-par work.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
OK so maybe i am crazy- but i know my work isn't sub-par. I also know, that all your work isn't sub-par either...
our work for whatever reason doesn't fit the current mold..
on an interesting note...I saw an agent tweet last night that the dystopian market is flooded right now and therefore very hard to sell...so perhaps OUR work will be the new mold

soulcascade

Registered
Reaction score
{{Snappy}} though I'm not sure if I should hug you o cringe from the fiery intensity of your rage.

"So I'm stuck between "Why not my crap?" and "Damn, my crap will never sell!" " <- this.

I wondered when dystopian would become flooded. But really, as someone said before, lots of dytopian is romance and teen wangst set against an 'unusual' societal backdrop. Of all the dys out there I feel I've red very few that ACTUALLY felt like dys instead of romance...

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's the wait that never ends
It just goes on and on my Pitizens....

(((Snappy)))

Silver, I wish dystopians were over. My ex told my last summer that they were over. I think she missed the mark there just a bit.

So I'm stuck between "Why not my crap?" and "Damn, my crap will never sell!"
This.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
(((snappy))) I have a WIP just like that- been sitting at 55K for way to long!

Thanks for the welcome peeps:Sun:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Shea, if you don't mind my asking, what are you querying? A new series? Are you querying agents or publishers?

Status
Not open for further replies.