The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
I have a 3DS, but its screen is so small and I tend to forget I own it to play games on it, so I'll probably hold off on Hyrule Warriors until maybe I can get a Wii U.
The 3DS gives you a whopping five proper Zelda games, two for the DS, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and A Link Between Worlds. PH and ST are sequels to WindWaker and reference it, and I honestly didn't like PH, but ST was good. ALBW was great. I've already said what I think of OoT and MM. And, of course, Hyrule Warriors.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My short story will go live on Monday. I'm trying to think of what kind of promotion I should be doing, aside from the obvious Twitter/Facebook/blog posts. ... I guess there's really not much else I can do?

I dunno, but congrats! :partyguy:

So I got my first review on Amazon! Must be one of my ARCs. Unfortunately it was a 2 star. She said she couldn't stay in the story, kept skimming, didn't finish :( Sigh.
:Hug2:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I meant to say earlier that I finally downloaded Evernote onto my laptop and phone yesterday and...ILOVEIT ILOVEIT I. LOVE. EEEET! It's everything I dreamed it would be and more! Thank you technology and whomever first told me about this app for making writing story notes on my phone sooo much easier! *flails excitedly*

Hey there, Southpaw!:hi: I'm a leftie too. :greenie

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Woohoo for workable technology!!!

I'm frustrated. I had several free and paid promos set for my release today. Two different Release Blitz Blog Tours. Advertising on mailing lists, FB, Twitter, etc. from at least a dozen sources.

NO sales today yet. None, zip, zero.

I mean, I've already sold about 40 last month and 10 so far this month on pre-order. It's not like it's not selling at ALL. But you would think some blasting would work on release day, no? It has in the past. I sold 40 on the release day of my first book, and 30 of my second one in the series.

I'm crossing my fingers that there's just a delay in processing the reporting of the sales. Sigh.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Speaking of ARCs, I have a book coming out in February (short story collection). I would be willing to submit a few e-ARCs to the Cantina for anyone who might like to read (reviews would be wonderful but optional).

Greendragon read one of the stories (my variation on the Swan Princess) and Dammy has read something else I wrote and neither died, so at least I have that going for me.

If interested, feel free to PM me and let me know what format you'd like (.epub, .mobi, or .pdf).

RedDragoness

Not your mother's dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog, our new exterminator told us yesterday that it's mouse season. They are looking for warmth and food, so they go into houses.

We had signed up with a very adorable local pest company over the summer with our original mouse, and the company did fine, but I was calling them every few weeks. They'd send out the same guy (we got to be buddies) who would tell me my house was sealed up tight and he really couldn't see any openings where the mice were getting in, but here they were. And, Dragonlet the Younger - who is just 4 1/2 - found a dead mouse in our basement over Thanksgiving and showed my mom. Wonderful. Over the weekend our little mousey was getting so bold it was just sitting in our dining room, watching us in the living room. So I finally called one of the Big Fancy National Companies on Monday. They sent someone yesterday, who said he found *several* areas where mice could be getting in. He did what he could and is coming back next week to follow-up. Hopefully we are in the end game for mice getting inside, because my husband, who is scared of mice like a 1950s cartoon housewife, is about ready to burn the house down and I just don't have the wherewithal to move again.

As someone who's tried tons of mediums (comics, TV, films, novels, lyrics) you should totally do it. It's such a good way to flex your creativity in a new context. You have whole new challenges, advantages, formats. It's a good way to mix things up and grow as a writer. Also, pretty fun. Use a formatting software, though. Formatting by hand is awful. Trust me. There are some free ones you can try, like Celtx. It's pretty much the standard beginner software, and works pretty well. It does sometimes have weird bugs (nothing that'll mess up your computer, or make you lose your work, that I've heard of. I, for example, just had my page counter permanently break. It would think 1 page was actually 5 tiny pages and there was no way to fix it), though, which is why people usually switch to pay formatters after a while. But it's good to experiment with.

I have Scrivener, which has a screenplay template. It says it exports to Final Draft, which I had about a bajillionty years and several computers ago, but we'll see if I finish anything to the point where I think it needs exporting. Thanks for the encouragement!

*leaves tea and notes of glitter for all those plagued by sniffles and work and snow*

Don't ask where I got the glitter :greenie

I f***ing detest glitter with the fury of a thousand dying suns. It's like the sand of crafting. I thought that, even though we are a progressive, forward-thinking family, that I dodged the glitter bullet by having only sons, but I forgot about school projects. F***ing glitter.

Sorry, Tiddly. I know you were trying to do something nice and I just pooped all over it. *hangs head*

GD, I did follow you on Twitter and Tweeted how much I liked your book, with an amazon link. Maybe someone will bite? Today's just the first day, maybe it's a slow burn... :Hug2:

I finally went to my chiropractor today, who was like morphine for my back. My neck is still a little stiff but 90% of my pain is gone and that's what matters. He wants me to stretch and use ice for a few days to drain the lactic acid and let fresh blood flow into the muscles, and then I go back on Monday to finish up. No idea how I did this, but he said it was definitely a severe muscle injury as opposed to my usual nerve pinches or joint pops, which is why it was so alarming and extra painful for me. Good times.

Instead of writing today, because I have a pain hangover and barely slept last night, I watched the latest ep of Sherlock. Not saying that Benedict Cumberbatch has magical healing powers, but I did feel a lot better by the end of the episode. :ROFL:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
PSA: Do NOT poo on glitter, it will go poof... And you can just about guess where! :eek:

I f***ing detest glitter with the fury of a thousand dying suns. It's like the sand of crafting. I thought that, even though we are a progressive, forward-thinking family, that I dodged the glitter bullet by having only sons, but I forgot about school projects. F***ing glitter.

Sorry, Tiddly. I know you were trying to do something nice and I just pooped all over it. *hangs head*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This morning was such a cluster at my house. There were tears and tantrums. I was ready for a drink before 7am.

Our power went out in the middle of the night, which apparently a perfectly quiet house means EVERYBODY MUST WAKE UP AND FREAK OUT.

I gave the kids glowsticks and *eventually* they settled back into their own beds, but I got about 3 hrs sleep total. Power came back on about 15 minutes after I put them on the school bus.

Someone may have been a little late to work today because they took a nap first.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Our power went out in the middle of the night, which apparently a perfectly quiet house means EVERYBODY MUST WAKE UP AND FREAK OUT.

I gave the kids glowsticks and *eventually* they settled back into their own beds, but I got about 3 hrs sleep total. Power came back on about 15 minutes after I put them on the school bus.

Someone may have been a little late to work today because they took a nap first.

Totally understandable! *HUGS*

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It looks like some sales have finally kicked in! I went from rank 144,000 to 23,000 in Kindle Store Paid Books. I'm #26 in Irish Historical Fiction, #55 in Scottish Historical Fiction and $74 in Fantasy Historical Fiction. I'm feeling a bit better. 23,000 is the highest rank this book has been yet. Legacy of Hunger (first book) has been my highest ever, at 1,171 on release day (Oct 2015). Book 2 got as high as 5,529 a month after the July 2016 release date, oddly enough.

All the above is only on Amazon, and via NovelRank webpage (which admittedly sometimes has inaccurate numbers of books sold, but they base it on the rise/fall of your book's rank. Rank numbers are at least accurate).

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm showing Wifety A New Hope. She saw the old trilogy once, when she was young. As someone who's seen the series about a hundred times, it boggles my mind that she hasn't seen it more recently.

Also I've gotten 5 hours of sleep a night for the past 2 nights and my brain isn't working at all today :sleepy: I know that's more sleep than a lot of people get usually, but I need a lot of sleep to function. Usually I can be okay on 5 hours, but it doesn't tend to be 2 nights in a row

Ha! Jackie Chan was a big part of my teen years, too. I watched just about every movie he'd ever been in. It's pretty tough tracking down copies now, though. All I could find was Rush Hour, which I just finished watching today.

I like Rush Hour. It's pretty fun. I saw one of his Chinese movies once (I can't remember the title) and it was SO GOOD. It was totally in-line with the stuff he did in America.

That'd be Rumble in the Bronx :)

The Mr and I kinda have and have watched way too many Jackie Chan movies. But they're soooo good. Especially the ones that have Sammo Hung and Jackie versus Benny the Jet.

I'll look it up! I don't think I've seen that one. And there's no such thing as too many Jackie Chan movies

I have Scrivener, which has a screenplay template. It says it exports to Final Draft, which I had about a bajillionty years and several computers ago, but we'll see if I finish anything to the point where I think it needs exporting. Thanks for the encouragement!

No problem! Final Draft is great :) It's what I usually use, as a teacher told me it was industry-standard.

Glitter is the herpes of the craft world :p

Glitter is pretty, but once you use even a little you'll be finding it on you for the rest of your life. I used glitter once when I was 5 and I found a sparkle under my fingernail yesterday

It looks like some sales have finally kicked in! I went from rank 144,000 to 23,000 in Kindle Store Paid Books. I'm #26 in Irish Historical Fiction, #55 in Scottish Historical Fiction and $74 in Fantasy Historical Fiction. I'm feeling a bit better. 23,000 is the highest rank this book has been yet. Legacy of Hunger (first book) has been my highest ever, at 1,171 on release day (Oct 2015). Book 2 got as high as 5,529 a month after the July 2016 release date, oddly enough.

All the above is only on Amazon, and via NovelRank webpage (which admittedly sometimes has inaccurate numbers of books sold, but they base it on the rise/fall of your book's rank. Rank numbers are at least accurate).

144,000 to 23,000 is a huge jump! Congratulations :hooray:

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I got a new cell phone. It knows when I'm looking at it. The screen is normally dark but after a second of me looking at it the screen lights up with the date and time. That's ok I guess but it does it when I look at it from across the room and it's kinda creepy...

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
The newer version of Scrivener might have a better screenplay template now, but I originally switched to Celtx because it was easier/more accurate. But then I switched back to Scrivener for graphic novel scripts a year ago. *shrugs* Still beats the macro I used in film school because I didn't have screenwriting software on my laptop and had to use Word if I wanted to write outside the lab ever. (It was a good macro, but required a lot of extra key clicks. And then I got to the end of the semester and had to get more written to secure my grade for an Independent Study I was doing for screen writing. So I wrote 80 pages in two and a half days. >_<)

Been really fighting anxiety today. Feeling a little better tonight, but today was just rough. Going to take my meds and head to bed here in a few. The good news is my agent thinks the Epic Not Fantasy (which has gone through two major revisions - one to add 40k words, and then a second to cut out about 9k and replace them with something more complex) is ready to go on submission. It's just a question of polishing the synopsis for the second book so he'll be ready to pitch the two of them. (That eliminates one portion of my anxiety woes and ignites a different section.)

Aggy, tired

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Dammy is definitely an enthusiastic reviewer.

Thanks for your review, Dammy! It's the best one so far :p

Awwww :'( now I feel mean for not doing a particularly enthusiastical review of GD's book! :Shrug: I wasn't really writing it in my own voice, and I do feel like I have to say: I was asked for an honest review, not a kind one. GD, I'm sorry not enough people are loving your swanktastical writing, I meant what I said in the review about finding bad things to say about Legacy of Luck, though. I will try to be more happy-go-Dammy when Swans comes out! :D

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Awwww :'( now I feel mean for not doing a particularly enthusiastical review of GD's book! :Shrug: I wasn't really writing it in my own voice, and I do feel like I have to say: I was asked for an honest review, not a kind one. GD, I'm sorry not enough people are loving your swanktastical writing, I meant what I said in the review about finding bad things to say about Legacy of Luck, though. I will try to be more happy-go-Dammy when Swans comes out! :D

Dammy,

An honest review (enthusiastic or not) is much better.

You're not writing reviews for the authors, but for other readers.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yay for sales, GD!

Aw, :Hug2: Aggy. Anxiety sucks. :(

Sleepy this morning. Had odd and kinda annoying dreams last night. The kind that were just vivid and realistic enough that you wake up wondering if the annoying thing happened and you're relieved when you realize it didn't.

Anyway... I'm going to try to do better about getting wordage in today. The goal is to get a draft of my Sisyphus done by the end of the month so I can get it beta read and edit at least once.

All our snow melted off yesterday and now it's reeeeaaaalllyyyyy muddy. But it's supposed to get up to 60F today, so that will be a nice change. I shouldn't even need my coat!

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dammy, I loved your review! I asked for an honest one, and that is incredibly useful. Do not be upset at all! I am happy for it! I just wish some of my other 20 reviewers (and not just the ones who couldn't finish the book, evidently) had posted on the first day :) Having ONLY bad or middle-ground reviews isn't a great way to start a very nervous-making day.

I ended up with about 10 sales yesterday, so not too bad. Hopefully my stacked promos through the weekend will net some more. Also, I got a nice write-up on the Corning World website that posted today, and that goes to the 30,000 worldwide Corning employees. It was on my writing, so I might net some sales from that, too!

The launch party was a success, we had about 20 active people, and it was constantly moving. We had contests and prizes and fun, oh my!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
GD: I have a couple of college friends who just had a piece accepted at the Corning Museum. (No details on what it is, but they usually do interactive/submersive sound/image pieces.) I noticed it in particular because I was like "Hey. GD works at Corning."

Anxiety has subsided a bit this morning. Going to try and get some more work done today. But first a few house chores.

Aggy, domestic this morning

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, do! Very inspiring. You'll need a couple to see it all, even. Also, they have classes there, you can make a glass tile or a blown glass object, and depending on the season, a glass pumpkin or Christmas ball. My little nieces and nephews took the glass blowing class and made some stuff. The shop should have huge deals on the Christmas ornaments now.

Status
Not open for further replies.