Thwarted Assassination Attempt in Bulgaria

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, that was a close one. The security guards might want to buy some zip ties.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god. That was unbelievable. Is it bad that I don't blame those people for kicking the hell out of that guy? I think if you try to shoot someone in the head, you deserve at least a bloody nose, and he sure got it.

I will never understand how someone could kill another for simply having different political views. I know nothing about the political climate of Bulgaria, but I'm glad that gun misfired.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap. I hope he bought a lottery ticket that day.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
"Thwart" is one of the all time great words, imo.

And yeah, that's amazing footage.

'Course, the tinfoil-covered corner of my brain can't help but think "set-up." Wasn't this the point in The Interpreter? A leader who survives an assasination attempt becomes even more powerful...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You can see how quick these things unfold in reality. The theoretical "good guy with a gun" wouldn't have been able to do much in this case.

Rather, what appears to stop a bad guy with a gun is mechanical failure, followed by a good old-fashioned beatdown.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed by the intended victim's lightning-fast reaction. He reminded me of Andrew Jackson, who attacked his would-be assassin with his cane.

And kudos to Haskins for so aptly naming that "ass-kicking for the ages."

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You can see how quick these things unfold in reality. The theoretical "good guy with a gun" wouldn't have been able to do much in this case.

Rather, what appears to stop a bad guy with a gun is mechanical failure, followed by a good old-fashioned beatdown.

So rather than gun control, we should issue only defective guns. :p

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There might be a market for a really formal looking range of steel-toed shoes.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Holy Cow. Can't get the video to play, but the photos are, excuse the term, arresting. I can't imagine how I'd react if someone just came up and pointed a gun at my head.

A short blurb I saw described that as a "gas gun"; don't know what that means. Just looks like a small semi-automatic pistol to me.

I don't know much about Bulgarian politics; but I do know it's never been easy for the minority of ethnic Turks and Muslims there.

For some reason, this makes me think of the Costa-Gavras movie Z. I saw that when it came out in 1969, but I was 8 and it didn't make much sense.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god. That was unbelievable. Is it bad that I don't blame those people for kicking the hell out of that guy?

No, it is not.

I think if you try to shoot someone in the head, you deserve at least a bloody nose, and he sure got it.

Agreed. If he tried to take my life, or that of someone next to me, I would've beaten him to a pulp.

Someone who is willing to execute another human being like that, doesn't deserve to live, imho.