Lines From Historicals That Have Made You *FacePalm*

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Re. Elizabethan slang – a ‘nunnery’ was a brothel, this being post-dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII in which one of the justifications was that they, and nunneries, had become vile dens of iniquity.

Thus when Hamlet says to Ophelia “get thee to a nunnery”, he’s actually saying “get off to a whore-house, you slag” (or words to that effect) and any kindness of tone is misplaced - particularly true in the Lawrence Olivier version. I can’t remember how the line was delivered by Mel Gibson version.

Wow, interesting. I studied Shakespeare for English lit at Uni, which was only 40 miles from Stratford hence involving numerious trips to the world famous Shakespeare Institute (which is part of my Uni) and not once did anyone happen to mention this!

I think the Kenneth Brannagh version also makes that line sound sympathetic, but then again I don't mind because that man can do no wrong in my eyes. None. Go on, contradict me :guns:

runningfree

Registered
Reaction score
F-bomb during the 1800's.

And I was SO disappointed when I ran across it because the author was doing soooo incredibly well in her writing, her characters - I couldn't put the book down. I think when I ran across the f-bomb, I had literally pulled back like it had exploded in my face. So that was frustrating. But the rest of the book was excellent.

Vaulted

Must try harder.
Registered
Reaction score
F-bomb during the 1800's.

And I was SO disappointed when I ran across it because the author was doing soooo incredibly well in her writing, her characters - I couldn't put the book down. I think when I ran across the f-bomb, I had literally pulled back like it had exploded in my face. So that was frustrating. But the rest of the book was excellent.

Depends entirely on context. That word's been around for an awfully long time.

statik27

Registered
Reaction score
Depends entirely on context. That word's been around for an awfully long time.

I agree, in the 18th century, it could have been fairly common. The general consensus is that it's a fairly old word, possibly a thousand years old or more. Though, it's use is far too common today in nearly every situation...

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
The wonderful thing about reading good historicals (or studying history) is learning that we did not invent sex, cursing, nor even ingenuity, art, and sophistication at the point of the Industrial Revolution or in the 20th century.

We were taught the nunnery thing in high school back in the early 80s, it was presented as a fairly traditional reading.

I was watching a 2004 production of "Frankenstein" which wasn't too bad, but when a BUTLER greeted a lady by KISSING HER HAND I just about passed out. Beyond ridiculous.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Roman Legionaries calling each other 'mate', or even 'sunshine' in a really cockney cabbie type way. The Centurion's Optio might as well slap him on the shoulder and say 'cor blimey, guv'na, you look a right two-an-eight. Cuppa Rosie sort yah aht good n proper. Ere y'ar, get yer larfin gear rahn that, luv.'

:Headbang:

Velma deSelby Bowen

I miss the mountains....
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Among various first draft disasters I am now faced with:

1928, Vancouver - my young heroine drinks alone in a bar.

Public drinking culture was of course largely a male affair, and even today it's relatively rare to see a woman in a bar on her own. I'm thinking that my error might be excused if I made the bar a more arty, Bohemian place.

In some of Margaret Atwood's novels (set in the 1960s, if memory serves), there are two rooms in Toronto bars: a bar for men only, and a slightly higher-class, better-kept-up lounge for men and women to drink in. I don't know if that was the same elsewhere, but it might be a possibility.