Latest in my series - Firedancer

aibrean

Author, Designer, Imaginative Being
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
So I designed the first two and then was on the fence on whether I'd continue the same visual theme. To begin with, I didn't know if I even wanted this book to be in the series, but the world-building was already there and if I was going to do two I should do a third.

Here are the first two:
ladyfromday_aw.jpg
lunamae_aw.jpg

Here is the latest one:

firedancer_aw.jpg

It's going to be about a fire mage in a word seemingly void of mages as magic has all but disappeared throughout the years. She is the daughter of a candle-maker in a more modern fantasy setting (compared with the other two). She decides to take a voyage on a dirigible with some explorers to see if there are fire mages on the other side of the world rather than be set to live as an outcast, as others fear her untrained gift would cause their forest homes to be destroyed.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I really like the model in your newest cover, and I've never mentioned it before but I've noticed the covers in your sig really pop. When I look at these covers I can tell they are clearly part of the same series of YA novels.

Are you looking for critiques? Do you have any specific concerns?

aibrean

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
Tigerlily: I originally released (the first) without a face, but it seemed too bland. It needed character. Especially since each book is written first-person, it made sense to focus on one of the characters.

Gale: Thanks. I was making sure it blended well with the others, especially since the background is much lighter than the other two. I was so on the fence on the ethnicity of the model too. I saw a photo on DeviantART with an Indian woman and it inspired me. When I saw this and especially the gem on her forehead, I realized it could play well into the story.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
My impression is that the cover has enough similarities to connect it to the series, but enough differences to suggest a uniqueness from the series.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
My impression is that the cover has enough similarities to connect it to the series, but enough differences to suggest a uniqueness from the series.

I agree. The third one is similar, but more exotic and goes well with the title. I have noticed your covers before and thought they were very well done, but when I scrolled down and saw this new one my thought was "gorgeous."

aibrean

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilsadowski.com
Thanks you two :) It means a lot. I've decided to name her Banhi. It means flame in Sanskrit.

I posted on a writer group on Google+ and their feedback was my name was too hard too read (contrast-wise) and to make it larger. This is the same size as the other ones, just in black because I did try the white with a drop shadow and it didn't contrast as well I thought. Personally, I can make it out at 100px wide. I'm not concerned about making "A Tale of Orinda" legible at such a size as it's not the "name" of the book.

They also said it looked like something from Harlequin. I don't think it looks like a romance cover. First off, it's not even full profile. She doesn't look like she's trying to seduce anyone either...those are the trends I notice from HT.

Last edited: