The Elements of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I do write stories about love, that contain, violence, but I do not try to showcase larger observations and ideas. I'll leave that to the philosophers. One person's workaday life is not the same as another's, but I want my observations and ideas to be as applicable to everyday life as possible.

I also write a bunch of plain old humor, short stories that have nothing to do with sex, death, love, or violence. They're just funny. And I write tales that are simply about having fun, or accomplishing something difficult.

I'm content with the micro, and stories that simply entertain, stories that the average person can relate to. I've leave the macro to others.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yes, James, you're certainly right in that attempting to engineer philosophical points in storytelling is dangerous ground. I guess what I was really saying was that it's usually more engaging to assess the mettle of a man in a tricky situation than during his dilemma over brands of processed cheese at the dairy counter.

But you make a good point that in humor, the elements of interest widen considerably. It's one reason I think humor is so valuable in all sorts of writing. The funny palette makes everything more real, because life is damned funny.

emmyshimmy

Registered
Reaction score
Sex, drugs and rock n roll :)

I think growth is a good addition. Growth can include the reader. The best books I've read left me feeling changed.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Give the characters problems. Could be problems with love, sex, health, war, life and death, spirituality, social status, economic status, family, friends, rivals, work, play, monsters, aliens, governments, terrorists, hairballs or carburetors. So long as there are problems. That's about it.

Oh, and Brussels sprouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.