General anime discussion thread

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my. In Clannad, I've got a Sunohara ending twice now. Although that's ok by me, it seems I'm failing somehow, and the second time I failed even more, with a depressing ending.

Yes, in my version the text is translated to English, although the voice is in Japanese. Maybe it can be turned to English too, but I wouldn't do that anyway.

Replaying such a game, and missing someone that I met before, and feeling lonely because of it, makes me think about the choices in life, and how things could have been different with other people with me in different situations. Even how different it is depending on who I go to lunch with at work.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite feeling it. Maybe because I kind of forgot what was happening.

Not sure. It has a pretty episodic feel, anyway. I'm pretty much biased towards any show that takes music seriously.

Oh my. In Clannad, I've got a Sunohara ending twice now. Although that's ok by me, it seems I'm failing somehow, and the second time I failed even more, with a depressing ending.

Makes me want to try it.

Yes, in my version the text is translated to English, although the voice is in Japanese. Maybe it can be turned to English too, but I wouldn't do that anyway.

Even better!

Replaying such a game, and missing someone that I met before, and feeling lonely because of it, makes me think about the choices in life, and how things could have been different with other people with me in different situations. Even how different it is depending on who I go to lunch with at work.

Life, a visual novel with branching points all the way. Heh.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure. It has a pretty episodic feel, anyway. I'm pretty much biased towards any show that takes music seriously.

I like music shows generally, but I'm not much of a choir person. Give me idols or rock bands.

Life, a visual novel with branching points all the way. Heh.

And no saves! O_O

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I like music shows generally, but I'm not much of a choir person. Give me idols or rock bands.

I'd love to see a show about an instrument maker/musician once. That would be very interesting.

And no saves! O_O

And no plot to guid you. Scary.

Watching Twelve Kingdoms now. It deserves its reputation.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Have you watched Nodame Cantabile?

So far, I've seen the first season only. I quite like it, but I can't remember anything about making instruments. The way they treated music in the show was brilliant, though. The playing styles really reflected the life styles. It's a must see for people with interest in music and anime, IMO.

ETA: They always play too much Mozart. In any show about classical music. Arrrggggh! I hate Mozart. I wouldn't be unhappy never to hear Mozart again. But it won't happen. Too many people like it. Have for centuries. Grrr.... [Yay, though, for Chopin, Liszt and Rachmaninov! They had a good line up in Nodame Cantabile; except for Mozart. But well...]

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So far, I've seen the first season only. I quite like it, but I can't remember anything about making instruments. The way they treated music in the show was brilliant, though. The playing styles really reflected the life styles. It's a must see for people with interest in music and anime, IMO.

No instrument making, but you said musicians, too.

I'd suggest watching the other seasons as well.

ETA: They always play too much Mozart. In any show about classical music. Arrrggggh! I hate Mozart. I wouldn't be unhappy never to hear Mozart again. But it won't happen. Too many people like it. Have for centuries. Grrr.... [Yay, though, for Chopin, Liszt and Rachmaninov! They had a good line up in Nodame Cantabile; except for Mozart. But well...]

I generally do too... but I don't really think Nodame was an offender here. They seemed to have just the right amount of Mozart for me.

Glancing through the pieces for each episode, Mozart doesn't seem to appear any more than Beethoven, Chopin, or Bach do.

And also, if you've only seen the first season, you never even got to the Mozart episode in season 2! Nodame shares you frustration.

ETA: Nodame is the only anime that's been a great success in showing it to my parents, even subtitled. They've only seen a few episodes, but they both really liked it. I need to make them watch more soon.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
No instrument making, but you said musicians, too.

True. (I meant that to be an "and-slash" rather than an "or-slash", but that's not clear, really. Come to think of it, there was a hint of this in Nodame: the oboe player who did his own mouth piece.)

I'd suggest watching the other seasons as well.

I fully intend to.

I generally do too... but I don't really think Nodame was an offender here. They seemed to have just the right amount of Mozart for me.

Glancing through the pieces for each episode, Mozart doesn't seem to appear any more than Beethoven, Chopin, or Bach do.

You're right about that. The ratio isn't off, and you just can't go without Mozart.

I was half joking, really. I really do hate Mozart's music, though. There's something in each piece I've heard so far that makes me physically uncomfortable. Long stretches are fine, but then it sets in. (Most of Mozart I find rather trite and ornamental, so the irksome spots don't ruin anything for me. Even if they weren't there, I still don't like them.)

Second, that's one of the few topics where me being Austrian actually matters. I made my university degree in Salzburg, and that city is in thrall of Mozart. Mozart everywhere. An American student once put it like this: You Austrians sell Mozart's balls. ("Mozartkugeln" [Mozart balls] are a famous piece of confectionary.) Add that overexposure to my general dislike and particular allergy to his music and...

Let's just say I have a low tolerance of Mozart.

And also, if you've only seen the first season, you never even got to the Mozart episode in season 2! Nodame shares you frustration.

Weren't there incompatibilities early on in the first season, already? I'm not surprised. Mozart is pretty precise and leaves little room for experimentation. (But the same should go for Bach.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Weren't there incompatibilities early on in the first season, already? I'm not surprised. Mozart is pretty precise and leaves little room for experimentation. (But the same should go for Bach.)

You might like what she does with him once she gets to know him better. I enjoyed her recital, and Mozart's popular stuff tends to annoy me as well.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
You might like what she does with him once she gets to know him better. I enjoyed her recital, and Mozart's popular stuff tends to annoy me as well.

If any show can pull it off, it's Nodame. I'll definitely come back to this series (there are three seasons, I think?).

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
You guys don't have any questions about the trip? :(

*bites everyone*

/dogs

Let's just say I have a low tolerance of Mozart.

I'm not a big fan either for semi-similar reasons (and I prefer dark or dreamy chromaticism-heavy stuff), but I've always loved his Musical Joke.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
You guys don't have any questions about the trip? :(

*bites everyone*

/dogs

I... didn't get the reference, as I never watched much of Bebop. v.v

I'm not a big fan either for semi-similar reasons (and I prefer dark or dreamy chromaticism-heavy stuff), but I've always loved his Musical Joke.

I tried to listen, but I couldn't. I'm fine until the background violins set in. They shiver so much that I get a... strange feeling in my chest. Slightly queasy. It's really a physical reaction. I can't help it. I can control it to some extent; I've been sitting through concerts with friends. But I'd rather not if I can avoid it. (Things start to feel off at about 13 seconds in, and then at about 19 seconds it becomes painful...)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's certainly not the strangest thing they've moe-fied, but the latest episode of Jinrui wa Suita Shimashita still caught me off guard as far as "random things Japan will anthropomorphize."

But I should've seen it coming from the country that landed Hatsune Miku on the moon...

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
For any fellow Hellsing fans who are looking to get the Ultimate episodes:

Rejoice!

The information on Amazon isn't entirely accurate. It's a DVD/Blu-Ray combo, and will have both the Japanese version and English dub.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what that quiet three-pitched horn sound that plays in the distant background around twilight in anime is?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what that quiet three-pitched horn sound that plays in the distant background around twilight in anime is?

I can't even imagine the sound right now. Can you provide a sample?