Brutal critique or let the agents do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I've been in that situation. Never be brutal. I once did that, and the person simply stopped writing. And they had promise; I thought I was doing them a favor, but I wasn't.

Since then I've learned how to be honest and yet encouraging at the same time. Almost everything has something about it that has merit. And although initially disappointed, almost everyone I've critiqued for has come to sincerely thank me later, after they've learned a bit -- sometimes telling me I wasn't harsh enough.

But you don't want to crush anyone. It's not helpful -- far worse than the sin of enabling, which is easy to avoid if you're supportive but direct.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Take care of this BEFORE you beta read. Find out what the writer wants.
You can deliver your verdict in that scenario.

As a writer I value, pretty much in this order
1. Does the first chapter keep you reading (hook you)
2. Did you like the book enough to be happy you read it
3. Are there places where you were bothered about the content
4. Are there places where you were bothered by the writing
5. Editing suggestions
6. How the beta reader would have changed the plot. (if this one is checked BEWARE.) I sometimes get that kind of (usually)unhelpful feedback.

Give this sort of a list to the writer and have him check off what kind of detail he want's from you. This can written or verbally. Just make sure you know what he wants.

Whatever he chooses do that HONESTLY, reminding him or her that you are not a professional editor (unless you are) but an example of a potential reader. Be nice, telling him what you like as well as what you don't, but be as truthful (brutal) as you need to be in order to give all the help you can.

If an ego boost is all the writer really wants, you're both wasting your time. Avoid reading those samples at all costs.

Last edited:

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
"in the next few months" suggests to me that he's not exactly thinking it's perfect as-is.

I would definitely want to be pointing him at a site like this one. Not just because I was afraid of getting yelled at if I put red ink on his baby, but because I'd be worried that he was treating me as the big expert and if/when he got rejections down the line it would be seen as my failure to spot the problems so he could fix them.

If you think he wants an ego boost, I would read a bit of it, tell him it's not a genre / style / voice you feel qualified to comment on, and still point him here.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Two years ago I was about to start submitting.

First though, I popped by here with a raw preliminary draft with lots of info dumps, headhopping and stuff and put some of it up for critique.

I honestly expected hearty praise with a few snippets of advice and one or two very slight flaws pointed out.

:ROFL:

So here I am about twenty pages from finishing the preliminary draft of another novel set in the same world, also raw but much less info dumpy and head hoppy.

I won't be ready to submit anything for about a year at least. Too much work to do and you know? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Your friend might benefit similarly, especially if their work is as unready as you say.

Last edited:

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
Take care of this BEFORE you beta read. Find out what the writer wants.
You can deliver your verdict in that scenario.

Porter makes a good point here. I really should have thought about the writer's expectations -- what sort of critique does he want from me?

Maybe if I can clarify that, I'll be able to give him an honest opinion without totally crushing his dream.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.