Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
The Newton tragedy is just so heartbreaking. I haven't been able to watch the news--every time I hear about it...I just can't. Ugh, I turned on the tv Friday evening when I got home and it was some special on ABC News (or something like that) about the profiles of mass murderers. It disgusted me so bad I haven't been able to watch the news since. The focus shouldn't be on some psycho who did a despicable thing, it should be on the families of those poor children. :Soapbox: Okay, getting off the box now.

To completely change topics, I too think Nicholas Hoult is adorable. I was surprised the Warm Bodies trailer looks so good. Not watch in theaters good, but good enough to rent.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Nicholas Hoult is adorable. Excited for Warm Bodies, I loved the trailer. I also saw a trailer for a Jack and the Beanstalk movie that he's going to be in, but it didn't really strike my fancy.

I know, I don't usually care for zombie movies, but this is really a twist on the theme and it looks cute.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about Jack The Giant Slayer. I think renting from Redbox for only a dollar it won't hurt either way - there are some other great actors in the cast like Stanely Tucci and Ewen McGregor, Bill Nigh... but I don't know. :D

To completely change topics, I too think Nicholas Hoult is adorable. I was surprised the Warm Bodies trailer looks so good. Not watch in theaters good, but good enough to rent.

Yeah, I don't go to the theater. Too expensive.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
What parent in their right mind would think a teacher said it was ok to copy a paper? The kid who said the plagiarism wasn't his fault because his girlfriend did his homework gave me a much needed laugh.

I have been distracted and sad all weekend and am trying to get my head back on the page.

I'm also fending off a slutty new idea. Wish I could write faster. Might be able to do that if I stop looking at the blogs.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
You guys. Goldangit. The tragedy has us all upset. Sucks. Really. My God, if you're a parent, you feel the mourning parents' pain. I can't even imagine the grief they're going through, nor do I want to.

Ice cream? Am I showing my girly side? Still, it might help. I'm scooping.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Okay.

JK! You have a "slutty" idea? Color me intrigued, but for God's sakes, let's not do "Fifty Shades of Chicken." Or something.

Plaigarism? Gah! All your students think it's okay? I am kinda' intrigued with the kid who said it was his girlfriend's fault (hi, Ellaroni, by the way). That's a good one.

Kewii! How do you cope? For cryin' out loud, it ain't that hard to rework words instead of stealin' 'em. Learned that in college. (Yep, even some Kansans go to college.). I'd love to sit in on one of your classes. Dagnab kids will be so spooked by me, they'll never plagiarize again.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Kewii! How do you cope? For cryin' out loud, it ain't that hard to rework words instead of stealin' 'em. Learned that in college. (Yep, even some Kansans go to college.). I'd love to sit in on one of your classes. Dagnab kids will be so spooked by me, they'll never plagiarize again.

Then it might be worth paying for your plane ticket out here ;) The parent did come around when I explained it and gave her more of the evidence, so some of my faith is restored.

SweetSerynity

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I am curious about beta readers. How exactly do they work? Aren't you worried about someone you don't actually know running with your story if it so good enough? My husband is paranoid about that and got me wondering.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I am curious about beta readers. How exactly do they work? Aren't you worried about someone you don't actually know running with your story if it so good enough? My husband is paranoid about that and got me wondering.

You should read this sticky in the betas board: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118148. I think the risk is limited if you only use beta readers that you've known for a while, whether on the boards or in real life. There are also stickies on that board about what a beta is, etc.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I just have to post this because my head is about to explode.

I contacted a parent to let them know their kid had plagiarized and would get a zero.

They wrote back saying their daughter told them I said it was ok to copy...

At times like this, I am really glad I am a writer because I was able to put a rather eloquent response together even though all I could think was WTF

I kind of love you for this. I've had to call out grown men in a professional setting for plagarism before, and they didn't see what the big deal was! ACK! If only every teacher was like you.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Okay WTF on the parent saying it was okay to plagarize?? I was in the 4th grade when I did it and my mom told me straight up "Not okay!!!"

Hi guys!

I'm trying to dig back into my ms for revisions but it is so hard (I'm writing about them playing with a gun, deciding to kill themselves)...it's just way too relevant for the recent tragedy. :( Like Kansas I'm all shook up about it (and not a parent).

I *did* go to the movies & see ARGO. Wow!! What a great film. I am a young one so the 1970s (hell even early 1980s) were not on my radar at all. I was 8 when the mission was declassified and didn't know about it til this movie. Really great. Ben Affleck can direct, guys! ;)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Hello all!

I just turned in Galley edits. My eyes are ready to fall out of my head. *thud*

I will return when I can form more coherent sentences. Hope you're all well. Goodnight!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I've never plagarized but I'd made a stamp of my dad's signature and he'd never seen my school's record card since then ^_^. Nobody's ever said it was wrong so it has to be right.

Ben Affleck is a weirdo. He had no clue how to act when he was an actor but he's been pretty good as a director. I like both his Gone Baby Gone and The Town. Some day he's gonna make Matt Damon very jealous. Clooney can direct, and I've heard good things about Jolie's directing ability. Some pretty people are hella multi-talented.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Still having a hard time dealing with the Sandy Hook tragedy. Picked up my girls early on Friday because I was so destraught and thankful for the lives of my little girls and desperately need to just hold them and hug them and tell them how much love them. have avoided TV for the most part, but last night I watched the memorial and it was quite beautiful and thought it was amazing how all the different religious leaders came together to pray and mourn and that also acknowledged those who are not religious. That in and of itself made me cry because it really represented EVERYONE. It was the first time I let myself look at all the photos of those who died (I tried twice before and cried hysterically and had to shut it off). It was a beautiful service but my heart is still heavy and will be for a long time to come. I watched my girls walk down the hallway to class today and it took EVERYTHING in me to not pull them back and take them home.

In the meantime I have not been reading, writing or beta reading. My head has just not been in it. I hope to get back into the swing of things, but it may not really happen until the new year. This week is crazy filled with holiday classroom parties, parent teacher conferences, cleaning, and shopping for more gifts. Next week is jammed pack with holiday stuff and playdates.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, crap, Mel. I'm also still bothered a lot about the Sandy Hook tragedy. I can't imagine what those parents are going through. But we gotta' carry on, yeah? Let's be thankful for what we have and love the CRAP outta' everyone important in our life. We have to.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
thanks (((Kansas and Lisa)))

still an emotional wreck (especially after watching Pierce Morgan last night on CNN. GOD I LOVE THAT MAN).

will hopefully come back soon in a better place. hugs to all!

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs Melly.

I'm struggling a lot with the whole thing, and I can't even imagine how much harder it would be if I had kids of my own.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Mel, I'm having a hard time putting those little kids out of my mind too. I'm going to the Hobbit tonight with my grown daughters, and it should be a wonderful time. Instead, I'm just feeling depressed. Only going because it's sort of tradition. But we can't let the tragedy steal our joy for life, ya know? We have to carry on.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
ladybritches, I hope you enjoy the Hobbit. We saw it with the kids on Saturday. Thankfully, it wasn't too violent. I don't think I could have taken it if it was. I quite enjoyed it, and I am not a fan of the books.

It is unconscionable what happened to those children in Newtown. It is senseless and sad. Hugs to everyone.

I am really annoyed at my publisher, which was supposed to release a paperback version of Divided Moon a month ago and it still hasn't happened. I wanted to give my mom a copy for Christmas.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I think I might actually still have a copy of the trilogy somewhere in my room. I'm not particularly into fantasy per say, but I might be willing to check it out, since the movies were pretty good.^^ Which is weird, as I used to be really into fantasy.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back from The Hobbit, and I have to admit it was better than I expected, and it helped to get my mind off of real world problems.

I went into the movie with the attitude that I wasn't going to compare it to the book, and I think that helped. It was about an hour too long though. My legs get sore if I sit that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.