Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kallenie

Registered
Reaction score
For the longest time I couldn't get my hands on the Game of Thrones books. (I live in an extremely isolated area, most online shopping places have barely started being able to ship here)

I finally got a hold of it when I was in the city for school, but didn't have time to read it.

Then I came home, had time, and forgot it in the city. ;-;

I want to watch the show but I just can't do it without having read the book.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Its really really really good. Never read the book, actually just found out it was a book yesterday. Just like with pillars of the earth, never knew it was a book till after i watched the series on Starz

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Game of Thrones... its a great show! About a battle for these 7 kingdoms... real complicated storyline.

And did you say you were looking into self-publishing. What exactly is self-publishing?

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
Game of Thrones... its a great show! About a battle for these 7 kingdoms... real complicated storyline.

And did you say you were looking into self-publishing. What exactly is self-publishing?
Never heard of the show, but I think someone mentioned it was on stars so that is probably why I haven't heard of it.

Yes, I'm thinking of self-publishing. I would be cutting out the agent and publisher and being my own. Sounds a lot cooler than it is. Basically I would epublish. There are many ways to do this, I will probably use a site called smashwords.com if I choose this route. It gets a cut of royalties but it seems simple to use and gets your ebook onto amazon, b&n, iStore, and several other places for free. And the royalties you earn are around 60-70% (sorry tired brain can't think of exact number). Then I will probably use creatspace.com or possibly lulu.com to create a physical book. It would also be distributed to amazon, my website (if I chose) and their site. I don't think the physical book can go in b&n but I'm not 100% sure on that. The cost per book isn't bad ~5.00 + s&h to the author (though this complete depends on size, color options, page length, etc). When they are purchased through amazon or my sight, createspace or lulu whichever the case may be, prints the one copy and ships it off. That being said, if purchased through Amazon, the royalties are not good at all. I think it was like $0.75 for a 9.99 published price if purchased through Amazon, but like $4.75 if purhased directly through my site. That isn't bad at all.

This is just one way of self-publishing. There are numerous other routes that can be taken. I have chosen to go with 100% free or VERY minimal cost involved if I choose to self publish.

Now, my book won't be in a bookstore that isn't independent. And chances of going into an independent are pretty slim so the main focus would have to be on ebook and internet sales IMO

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... if my betas dont get back to me i'm going to start thinking of taking that route.

erica_henry

Typing away 1 word at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erica-henry.blogger.com
Its a fantastic book series. I will say its not for the faint of heart, if you like epic fantasy with an adult theme its a great read.

GRRM site : http://www.georgerrmartin.com/
You know... I'm ashamed to say this, but I've never read an epic fantasy.

Thanks for the info... if my betas dont get back to me i'm going to start thinking of taking that route.
I'm not trying to persuade you either way. I've never done either route so I don't know what is "best" if there is even such a thing. I know one thing that seems would work in your favor is that you already have so many book ready to go in the series. Having so many to release (at once or within weeks of each other) could help you out tremendously. It would give you a higher chance of being found because your name is on more things and it would give the reader who like your work a chance to purchase the next book quickly without having to wait on you to write, edit, and publish. They more than likely would buy the next one in the series then rather than wait for it to be written and loose the "high" they had for the last book

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of that thank you for mentioning it! Yeah i've never even sent out a query to an agent so i might try that first... if and when my betas get back to me.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, I've been in an insane sleeping schedule because i was off from work all week. That usually means going to bed around 1 in the afternoon and waking up at 7pm or later. Although because i have work tomorrow i'm going to try and just stay up all day today and go to bed at a normal time.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Allie, hi guys! Morning.

Okay, I always get this confused, give me an example of an epic fantasy in YA.

Is it like "A Wrinkle in Time", or "The magician's Nephew", ... help! :D

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Allie, hi guys! Morning.

Okay, I always get this confused, give me an example of an epic fantasy in YA.

Is it like "A Wrinkle in Time", or "The magician's Nephew", ... help! :D

Ha!

Epic fantasy is a totally different genre. Think Lord of the Rings. And GRRM's book is GRRIM. >_> Major PoV deaths, harsh world, etc.

Last edited:

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
And adult, incest, brutal violence, all of the 7 deadly words, plus I think he created extras.

However I stand by my first statement. Best. Books. Ever.

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
If I use the notes function in pages, will that carry over if i save it as a .docx file ?

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I think I'm writing today and chilling out with my hubby. And I have no idea cane but I might be able to find out from hubby, but I don't think he usually converts from pages to .docx

5398cane

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
One more question, does anyone know how to set up access to let someone have access to dropbox files ?

Hell I got one more, sorry...

Does anyone use evernote to help with their writing ? Like if an idea coms to you you can just type it up on your phone and then deal with it when you get to your computer. Do you have any success with it ? I've been using it, but and honestly not sure how i feel about it.

I will check back in a few hours have to go meet the accountant for a while this morning, yuck work.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
If I use the notes function in pages, will that carry over if i save it as a .docx file ?

Pages should warn you if some data might be lost. All apps should. Keyword being 'should'. Do a test save (ie, save your file as .pages or whatever you're using, copy that somewhere safe, then save that file again as .docx and open that file to see if the notes were saved).

Status
Not open for further replies.