Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moni

Literary vampire Mongering words
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! Been working on getting queries out...so far I've gotten 3 R's & ONE PARTIAL REQUEST!!! SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!! So now I'm trying to get the entire novel edited. I've got the first three edited (thank goodness!) so now the rest of it needs the polishing touch!

So....I guess in a round about way I'm going to be indisposed for a little while longer! LOL

Hope y'all have a great day!

Twinkie

spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery
Registered
Reaction score
I have an hour until I have to leave on some errands. Wonder how much I can get done?

Thanks, everyone, for your chapter-starting suggestions last night! I went to bed before most of them were posted, but I still really appreciate it. :D

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
ok... stuck in work, actually doing work... and just found out i'm screwed for rooming next year at college.... but other then that i'm ok.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to work on a story, since 'Mermaids' are supposedly the 'next hot thing' and I was already working on a mermaid story months agooo! Lol

Twinkie

Registered
Reaction score
I like mermaids. You can make them creepy or sad or whatever. So versatile. I'm currently wrestling with obnoxious people with superpowers, though. You can do a lot of damage if you're a pyrokinetic who tends to fly off the handle. :p

Sorry about your housing thing, aml. That sucks.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Just so that all y'all know....I just got told by the agent that asked for my first 3 chapters that fantasy is a hard sale......although isn't something like Mermaids fantasy??? I'm kinda confused......she DID ask to see the chapters....but on the other hand she's saying that she'll have a hard time selling fantasy.....any thoughts?

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
Maybe the market is like me? I am SUPER picky about fantasy because you are asking me to suspend my disbelief that something like this couldn't actually happen, so I hold it to a higher standard - it has to be better - than an ordinary contemporary novel would be. Maybe a similar idea?

nerdyglam

Registered
Reaction score
*peeks in* Hi everyone. Congrats Moni and good luck with the editing.

I'm also a fan of mermaids and people with superpowers. You guys just made me remember this strange mermaid book I read as a preteen. Now I'm struggling to remember the details. Gah! What was it about?

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the market is like me? I am SUPER picky about fantasy because you are asking me to suspend my disbelief that something like this couldn't actually happen, so I hold it to a higher standard - it has to be better - than an ordinary contemporary novel would be. Maybe a similar idea?

Maybe....but "I" think that AVA is quite believable! But that's just me. LOL Perhaps she'll think differently once she reads the novel....or the piece of it that I've sent her. ROFL She WAS rather gracious about it...so I hafta give her Class & Style points! But....it might be like you said....they hafta be really picked apart & such. I just can't help but think about Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland....weren't THEY all fantsy novels? Not sour grapes being consumed here...just wondering for future reference & writing reference!

Twinkie

Registered
Reaction score
Just so that all y'all know....I just got told by the agent that asked for my first 3 chapters that fantasy is a hard sale......although isn't something like Mermaids fantasy??? I'm kinda confused......she DID ask to see the chapters....but on the other hand she's saying that she'll have a hard time selling fantasy.....any thoughts?

Maybe she's telling you not to get your hopes up? *shrugs*

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe she's telling you not to get your hopes up? *shrugs*

Maybe....it was weird....it was on the one hand....I can't really sell this....but my intern loves this stuff so I wanna see it. Don't get me wrong.....NOT looking a gift horse in the mouth....just wondering if I missed something in translation...unfortunately the translation from English to Moniese is sometimes fallible! LOL

misslissy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe....but "I" think that AVA is quite believable! But that's just me. LOL Perhaps she'll think differently once she reads the novel....or the piece of it that I've sent her. ROFL She WAS rather gracious about it...so I hafta give her Class & Style points! But....it might be like you said....they hafta be really picked apart & such. I just can't help but think about Narnia, The Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland....weren't THEY all fantsy novels? Not sour grapes being consumed here...just wondering for future reference & writing reference!
I know what you're saying, but I think also the times have changed a bit. To me someday it seems like everybody and their relative is writing fantasy. Sometimes I look at what you guys in this group are writing and I feel like I'm the only one not writing fantasy. I think when the market is saturated with anything, it is going to be harder to get published in it because you have more to compete with and measure up again.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you're saying, but I think also the times have changed a bit. To me someday it seems like everybody and their relative is writing fantasy. Sometimes I look at what you guys in this group are writing and I feel like I'm the only one not writing fantasy. I think when the market is saturated with anything, it is going to be harder to get published in it because you have more to compete with and measure up again.

Hmm....maybe this is true.....but....I'm going to be one of THOSE proud parents & say that MY kid is really awesome & they should TOTALLY buy it! So THERE! ROFL Then again I did something that hasn't really been broached in a way....not that "I" have seen anyway....but....like any proud parent OF COURSE I would think that!

misslissy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Haha. That's why agents exist. Of course, everyone is going to think that their work is different (not saying that yours isn't) but look at how many people in this group (OPWT) are writing fantasy or sci fi - and we're just one segment of the population.

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
Haha. That's why agents exist. Of course, everyone is going to think that their work is different (not saying that yours isn't) but look at how many people in this group (OPWT) are writing fantasy or sci fi - and we're just one segment of the population.

Oh...I KNOW.....*SIGH* Doesn't mean I can't have those high hopes for my widdle baby! ROFL I loves it muchly! (ok....now I think that I've lost it....so I'll go back to editing now! ROFL)

Twinkie

Registered
Reaction score
I say to write what you know you're good at and what you enjoy, and worry about the market later. (Or let your agent worry about it.) I think excellent writing transcends genre, so, since we are all awesome writers (right?), we don't have anything to worry about. :p

Moni

Registered
Reaction score
I say to write what you know you're good at and what you enjoy, and worry about the market later. (Or let your agent worry about it.) I think excellent writing transcends genre, so, since we are all awesome writers (right?), we don't have anything to worry about. :p

Oh yeah! RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT!! We're all excellent writers! Or at least I'm an excellent writer like Rainman is an excellent driver! ROFL

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
My saying is always write for yourself and no one else. That's what i live by.

Twinkie

Registered
Reaction score
There's a Stephen J. Cannell quote that's like my writing mantra: "Some writers are frozen by the psychological need to be brilliant. I just sit down and try to entertain myself."

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
wow i really love that quote. Its pretty much what i already do!

Status
Not open for further replies.