Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhh, I have a problem where "subplots" are concerned.

The entire story is subplots. I have cut out most of the subplots from the query and that's why it seems like fluff and nothing's actually happening. If I cut the actual subplots from the story, there is no story at all.

I'm thinking probably this novel should be scrapped entirely.

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
JB! I've missed seeing your avatar around these parts! haha

Haphazard, maybe it's just more trying to outline the story rather than scrapping it. Try and see if you can pull it together. I'm all for trying to save a WIP then completely get rid of it.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's deeper than that. I think it's more that I am not interested in writing for the reasons I should be and I don't like to read for the reasons I should be, and that's why everything I make turns out to be such a mess.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Aw, I've missed you guys too <3

I'm just living. About to start a new job because I can't live on what the hotel pays, and there isn't any potential for a raise or to move up. Kind of excited, as the job move will get me back into the pet industry and eventually I'll even get to train dogs again :D

OH! I got a new car! It's pretty awesome. I've never had a NEW new car before. It's a 2014 Ford Fiesta hatchback :)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Hates Bishop :rant::rant::rant:

Tell me your address so I can come and steal your car. Then you can have an even newer new new car.:D

Speaking about pets, do you have experience with (Old English) Mastiff? Are they fast? My MC may need to outrun one.:D

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Hahaa! Here's a picture I took of the inside at night. The blue light in the console is actually from my phone charger cord, but the pink light is part of the car. It also shines in the floorboards and the cupholders, and there's a button that lets me cycle through all kinds of different colors, so I can change it to suit my mood xD

The best part? It only took $30 to fill the gas tank, which lasts me 2 weeks of normal driving (as opposed to $60+ to do the same in the V6 minivan I came from). Oh and I also love the stereo, which connects to my phone via Bluetooth, so I can use Spotify and make phone calls through the car speakers :D

I have nothing to report as far as writing goes, though. I'm thinking about making a change to my on-hiatus WIP that would require kind of a major overhaul (removing the ghost character's ability to communicate verbally). So there's that :/

I've never had a mastiff in a class before, but I wouldn't imagine them to be one of the breeds known for their speed. Weren't they originally bred to fight bears and stuff?

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Bishop, you've forgotten about attaching the pic. "Siri, attach pic" doesn't work for AW. Anyway, 2 weeks? One tank lasts 2 weeks? WOW!!!! :Hail:

I didn't know mastiff was bred to fight bears. No wonder it has such a huge head. DW and I used to think of it and St Bernard as perfect cart haulers if the grocery is nearby. Too bad we don't have a bigger home.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, and no. This is not an action-based story. Like, at all, really, and I don't think I can add any of that while staying true to the story. I am not a person who writes action-y stories, it's just not something that's in me. I've been trying to find fantasy and sci-fi books with very little/no fighting in it and it's proving almost impossible, and this goes doubly in YA.

I just finished reading A CORNER OF WHITE by Jaclyn Moriarty. It's a sort of portal fantasy-ish. Anyway, there's hardly any action. In fact, I think only one action scene and it's short. So, non-action fantasy can be done.

ETA: Bing, I love it when I go on Pinterest and find a picture that makes me think of a character, either their appearance or clothes they wear or something!

Me too!

I'm thinking probably this novel should be scrapped entirely.

Have you tried working with betas yet? I think I remember you mentioning you had. I wouldn't scrap your book based on the difficulty of describing it, but if you are having trouble communicating through your story to your readers, then that might be a problem. Still, plenty of great books have been created by people who weren't sure their story was going to work, and even though others told them it wouldn't work. Are you happy with how the story turned/or is turning out? Because you don't have to please everyone else. I think your premise has merit and I'm interested in how it's going to turn out. What did your betas say if you had any?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading A CORNER OF WHITE by Jaclyn Moriarty. It's a sort of portal fantasy-ish. Anyway, there's hardly any action. In fact, I think only one action scene and it's short. So, non-action fantasy can be done.

Have you tried working with betas yet? I think I remember you mentioning you had. I wouldn't scrap your book based on the difficulty of describing it, but if you are having trouble communicating through your story to your readers, then that might be a problem. Still, plenty of great books have been created by people who weren't sure their story was going to work, and even though others told them it wouldn't work. Are you happy with how the story turned/or is turning out? Because you don't have to please everyone else. I think your premise has merit and I'm interested in how it's going to turn out. What did your betas say if you had any?

I guess I'm not asking if non-action fantasy can be done, more if it can be published today. I feel like a lot of the wandering-type stories I like are either 1) self-published or 2) older, which seems like a sign that there is a publishing bias at work. I will have to check that one out, though.

I don't have betas, I may have mentioned I was looking for betas. As it is the vast majority of it is minimally edited. I have an excerpt in SYW but that's it. It seems like the only good thing about it is voice, which while flattering, is not something that can carry a 100k novel.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Stay tuned. There may be an excellent chance to get betas coming soon ;)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, what does that even mean?

Also, isn't it time we got a new thread?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it is. I'll do that with my awesome modly powers when I get home.

And it means secret stuff is in the works :Ssh:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds ominous, like betas are something that can be released like the Kraken.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhh, I have a problem where "subplots" are concerned.

I know that feeling. I'm feeling like my novel doesn't really have that much in the way of subplots. My MC doesn't really build much in the way of relationships (apart from the love interest and a close friend who isn't a love interest in any way whatsoever (say NO to bad love triangles)) and it's first person, so I can't show more unless my MC is there when things happen.

I'm still in love with my story, but I don't want it to fall flat on it's face because there isn't enough going on. Anyone have any advice on brainstorming subplots?

JustBishop, the inside of your car looks awesome. Do rocket launchers come as standard?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just begging you, please do not add in a romantic subplot just because you feel like you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.