• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
Jim McCarthy at Dystel & Goderich liked my query and first chapter enough to request the full right away. He reviewed the full pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks) and really liked the premise and certain aspects of the manuscript, but ultimately passed. He had some great constructive comments, however, and invited me to re-submit when I revised or if I had another project. I've heard good things about his ability to sell in my genre so I'm excited about that.

As far as what I'm writing, I would consider them among the top-notch agencies. Maybe not one of the hugest, but very good nonetheless.

My full MS is with Jim at the moment too, which he requested after reading query and first chapter. Good to hear he offers great feedback. What genre are you writing in?

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Miriam over 8 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. But I also think Jim McCarthy would be better for my piece of work.

They say they don't like it when you query more than one of their agents - but since I can assume they never got it in the first place, can I send a query to Jim now?

I originally sent my query to a different agent, and got a response from Jim, so I believe that if they think your MS is a better fit for an agent different to the one you queried they will happily pass it on.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
My full MS is with Jim at the moment too, which he requested after reading query and first chapter. Good to hear he offers great feedback. What genre are you writing in?

Good luck with your manuscript, KC! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. =) I was lucky enough to sign with a different agent in March, but Jim would definitely still be at the top of my list if I ever had to jump back on the query-go-round.

I write mostly urban fantasy (my current project is actually a YA UF) and paranormal romance, with some fantasy and historical romance thrown in.

Last edited:

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
My full manuscript is now officially with Jim. :) It's a YA Paranormal, and he told me it seems right up his alley. *Crossing fingers*

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
Jim rejected my MS- do not pass go, do not collect $200.

He had some very nice things to say though, and invited me to submit other work to him. I think he's a pretty rad dude.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
It's great he gave you feedback plus the invitation for other work. So sorry about the full reject though.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Jim is now my agent, too. I sent him an e-query, he responded right away, and after I sent him a partial of my new work, he offered the next day.

He's fantastic! I had several offers of representation but after some heavy research I decided to sign with him.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Inkspill, I'd status query if I were you. Michael requested a full from me and said he'd get back to me in a month (though he hasn't, big surprise, lol. Agents are so bad at keeping deadlines. :p)
Three years ago, Michael had my full for three months and I remember that was the norm for him. Don't know if it's any different now.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Talk about fast. he already rejected me.

Christ! I prefer to get the pain over quickly, but I didn't think it'd be tearing-off-a-band-aid quick.

Last edited:

KC Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
Jim is now my agent, too. I sent him an e-query, he responded right away, and after I sent him a partial of my new work, he offered the next day.

He's fantastic! I had several offers of representation but after some heavy research I decided to sign with him.

Wow- several offers of representation? And he offered you representation on a partial? You must have the next Da Vinci code!

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Wow- several offers of representation? And he offered you representation on a partial? You must have the next Da Vinci code!

That would be nice, but no... I do have another book coming out from Delacorte in Summer 2009 (which he read and loved), so that helps!

a2002

Registered
Reaction score
Dystel, Stacey Glick, and Standard Contract

Hi everyone!

I'm currently considering signing with Stacey Glick, an agents at Dystel & Goderich. Do you guys have any experience with Stacey or Dystel? I saw some older threads about Dystel on the forum, but nothing about Stacey specifically.

I'm also reviewing their standard agreement. It looks, well, standard. I'm completely new to the game, so I have no idea what pitfalls to look out for.

Here are some of the key terms. Do these terms look pretty normal to you?

On the terms below set forth, I hereby engage you as my sole and exclusive representative and agent to negotiate for the disposition of any and all rights to my literary work(s), now entitled....

In consideration of your services hereunder, and as your compensation therefore, I irrevocably assign to you a commission of fifteen percent (15%) computed on the gross proceeds that I receive during or after the term hereof under all contracts covered by this agreement....

he term "disposition" or "exploitation" means the sale, leasing, licensing or any other disposition of any rights in the Work

The term "gross proceeds" means all monies, properties and considerations of every kind including but not limited to earnings, fees, royalties, bonuses, gifts, shares of stock, profit participations, and stock options received as a result of any contract in the course of the exploitation of the Work.

The phrase "contracts covered by this agreement" means

(i) every contract, oral or written, during the term hereof, directly or indirectly connected to or with the disposition of any rights in the Work, whether such contracts are procured or negotiated by you, me or any third party;

(ii) all modifications and extensions of such contracts, all additions thereto, and all replacements thereof.

Thanks! :)

a2002

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you DecemberQuinn. That's really good to know. :)

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats a2002. If I were you, I'd go out to celebrate! You just got an offer from a great agent at a great agency!