• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Dystel, Goderich & Bourret, LLC (formerly Dystel & Goderich Lit. Mgmt.)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't. Granted, I think that's how it's meant, though. As much as I know some people hate to see people say this, go ahead and submit to another person if you think they'll like it. I would never have signed with my agent if I hadn't.

kobacat

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jim McCarthy at DGLM on Feb 12 and got a full request on Feb 13! My first so far... :D He seems absolutely lovely as well as top-notch, and my novel is so weird (contemporary Ruritanian adventure comedy, er, stuff) that I'm happy to get a full regardless of outcome. Of course I say that, but I'm actually sitting here chewing my nails... :)

kobacat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! But I jinxed myself mentioning it on here -- polite form rejection just now. :(

Alienmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kobacat, Sorry to read that you got a rejection :cry:, but how cool is it that your first kick at the can got you so far! All the best in finding an agent. :Hug2:

community chest

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel Stout requested a full two weeks after I queried her with 25 sample pages. Form reject 5 days later, and the email came from Dystel's general web address, rather than from Rachel's address. One wonders if things went horribly wrong on page 26 of my novel.

Rachel has thus broken the speed record for a reject of a requested full, previously held by Farley Chase.

If only she'd waited a couple of days, Farley would still hold the record.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
It seems like I always got quick responses from Dystel & Goderich, no matter which agent I queried, some just minutes later. I got manuscript requests from at least two agents there, all ended with rejections.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
EQ Jim McCarthy on 10/14/14
YA Post-Apocalyptic
Form R 10/15/14

At least he was fast . . .

ChristiRSuzanne

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting

I'm going on 8 days and for most agents I know that isn't long, but I'm wondering what exactly this means for Jim McCarthy. Did he not get my query? Pass it to another agent? Is it in the maybe pile? Trying to stop thinking too much about it. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm having trouble figuring out how to address a query to Jane Dystel herself at the agency. Querytracker has her listed as being open to queries (and taking fantasy), and some people seem to have queried her recently, but unlike the other agents at Dystel and Goderich, there's no e-mail address for her on their web page, at least not that I can find. Querytracker says she only takes snail mail queries, but it looks like the people who have been querying her lately have done so with e-mail.

I think I'm missing something. Is there another place to find her e-mail for querying? I guess I could just send a snail mail one, but their site implies that e-mail queries are preferred, and they say to submit the first 25 pages (hard to stuff in a #10 envelope).

[Ah, nm--found her e-mail on her AAR profile]. Still it's strange that she doesn't have it listed on the agency site, but it doesn't state that she's closed to queries either.

Last edited:

Nightlark

scribbler of many mediums
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jim McCarthy at the end of February (on a Friday) and had a form rejection waiting in my mailbox when I woke up Monday morning. He's super fast. He was the first person I queried, and now I know that was a bad query letter, so I don't mind the form.

Laclos

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out how to address a query to Jane Dystel herself at the agency. Querytracker has her listed as being open to queries (and taking fantasy), and some people seem to have queried her recently, but unlike the other agents at Dystel and Goderich, there's no e-mail address for her on their web page, at least not that I can find. Querytracker says she only takes snail mail queries, but it looks like the people who have been querying her lately have done so with e-mail.

You can query her at jane @ dystel.com.

Laclos

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jane on 2/1 and she requested the full on 2/2. On 2/25, I was offered representation to work with Rachel Stout. After talking with her, I felt confident she would be great to work with and took the week to fight off hordes of offering agents (if a horde can be made up of 1) and decided to accept Rachel's offer last Friday. Very excited to begin working with her.

Last edited:

nubivagant

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jim McCarthy today, received a form rejection a couple hours later. Bummer, I was really excited about this one. Alas!

Authorlady22

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Miriam Goderich on 4/27 and received a full request on 6/5. I was promised a "prompt response" so we'll see how that turns out. Fingers crossed!

writinggal

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have new information on John Rudolph? He seems really solid. Sent him a query on Friday and he requested my full (YA Contemporary) today!

Scythe-Of-Winter

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've had nothing but good responses from them. Rachel Marks requested a full and even though it wasn't right, she handed it over to someone else at the agency who also ultimately rejected it. But they're definitely trustworthy!

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query directly to Jane for a mystery on 6/11, and three hours later she requested a full. I'm waiting to hear about that.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
So, after I got Jane's rejection-- I think it was a personalized form, but nice-- I sent her another query for another of my novels. A couple hours later I got an email from her requesting the full-- which I happily sent. I'm thinking if the first one had been a disaster, she would not have asked to see the second one, so maybe........... Reasonable?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going on 8 days and for most agents I know that isn't long, but I'm wondering what exactly this means for Jim McCarthy. Did he not get my query? Pass it to another agent? Is it in the maybe pile? Trying to stop thinking too much about it. :)

If I remember correctly, a good friend of mine got a full request from him. He went over the time limit he requires before you can check in. She checked in and somehow, and for some odd reason, the MS ended up in his junk mail/spam. Not sure how as she said she sent it from the original email, but stuff does happen. A day or two later he politely rejected.

So, I'd wait for the time limit he requires before a nudge and if you haven't heard from him, check in. He is generally very fast.