Parents, Children, and Church

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephrem Rodriguez

Registered
Reaction score
That's a very pretty, colourful church, Ephrem. You might be the first poster we have who comes from an Eastern Orthodox creed. I expect that very few people have read or heard much about it -- in the West, Eastern Orthodoxy is almost invisible. Maybe you'd like to post a new thread explaining it? I think that not only would a lot of people be interested, some might recognise bits of Eastern Orthodoxy as bits of their own philosophy.

I think Dostoevsky is Orthodox. C.S. Lewis, had he lived another year, was fast becoming Orthodox and would have within the year - he was very Orthodox in much of his theology and loved Orthodox worship above the other experiences he had. Tolstoy is Orthodox though the age of reason and his dabbling in pluralism had him quite dizzy - on a wonderful search - that got him booted for a good minute but he later found himself coming out of the funk (depending on who you ask) and was then readmitted into The Church (not without controversy!). Alexander Solzhenitsyn (another writer) is Orthodox. However, our most "famous" Orthodox person in the West would probably be:

troypolamalu.jpg

Troy Polamalu, aka The Headhunter.

It would be hard to explain but I could give it a try. I don't want to try to paint Orthodoxy against what others are or Orthodoxy as being what the others aren't. That's half the trouble.

Whenever you try to tell someone about it, you first have to deconstruct their understanding of the thing being talked about (sin, salvation, hell, heaven, etc.) and then explain from the ground up to the very thing it is you wanted to actually explain. By then your listener is usually exhausted or even more confused than they were before. :tongue

The true way and only way to actually understand Orthodoxy is to experience it - live it.

But you're right. I should give it a try. It'll be a challenge.

God bless

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
He can't be a football guy. He's wearing body-armour.

(Oh wait... I think there's an American code calling itself football which does that. :tongue:tongue:tongue)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
He can't be a football guy. He's wearing body-armour.

(Oh wait... I think there's an American code calling itself football which does that. :tongue:tongue:tongue)

For my own sanity, I call American football football and real football futbol.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
That wasn't the core of my question, no. I agree - he'd have to go where I go, but I'd make sure I didn't overwhelm him at such an early age.

He's six. Tell him the truth. If he's old enough to go to church, then he's old enough for you to discuss religion with him.

My son's the same age and understands concepts like heresy, religious war, and so on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.