Temperature to control blood flow

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I want to say I asked this question before, but for the life of me, I can't find the thread.

My victim, among other injuries, has many lacerations ... some shallow, some very deep.

I want my vic to slowly bleed out ... prolonging his demise. Ya, I know, I'm awful *snickers*

Since some of those cuts (both shallow and deep) happen in and around arteries ... can turning down the room's temperature truly slow down the rate of blood coming out - thus prolonging things?

If so - how cold would a room need to be to accomplish this? The room is the back storeroom of a sporting good store in a large city. There's the typical rows of steel shelving for inventory, plus palettes of inventory. I guess the room to be about 700-800 square feet in size.

The crime starts at around 10:30pm and ends around midnight - the murderer really took his time to work the victim over good before doing all the cutting that will lead to the vic bleeding out.

Throwing on the a/c at the beginning, so that by the time he gets to the cutting, the storeroom is nice and cold ... that should do the trick.

Ok, so ... how cold? 55F ... 35F ?

Also - how would the cold affect how bruising would show on the body hours later when the M.E. is doing the on-site examination? The storeroom will still have the a/c on since the murderer isn't going to take the time to turn the a/c off when he leaves. Or should he? Hmmmm.

Any advice, suggestions, facts would be greatly appreciated. Overall, this bit of information is not crucial to the overall story, but it's at the beginning of the book and I just want to get the facts as realistic and factual as possible.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
With an arterial bleed I am not sure this would make a hell of a lot of difference. You can slow a capilliary bleed and possibly a venous (which is slow anyway) but the systems that close off the extremities when it gets cold only work at the level of arterioles and venules not arteries and veins.

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
After a little research and consulting my EMTS (because they aren't doing anything today) we have determined that temperature does NOT effect blood loss. Additionally, they said, elevation of the feet might but if it is any kind of arterial cut, the body enters shock within a few minutes and can bleed out a few minutes after that.

THIS however might be something to look at. Carbon Monoxide poisoning effects blood flow due to the combination of carbon to the hemoglobin resulting in carboxyhemoglobin and prevents oxygen penetration (thus, you bleed slower). And since I am assuming you are looking to write a killer that is both convincing and innovative (at least, you should be) using blood loss AND carbon monoxide poisoning is kind of cool.

Just a thought.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
THIS however might be something to look at. Carbon Monoxide poisoning effects blood flow due to the combination of carbon to the hemoglobin resulting in carboxyhemoglobin and prevents oxygen penetration (thus, you bleed slower)..

Not really, that appears to be yet another product that will never have an application for which they are attempting to market it. If you take a person who is hypovolemic and then flood them with CO, you would make them anoxic. Also the author failed to take into account that the natural reaction to suddenly reduced O2 will be an increase in heart rate which also affects the flow of blood.

Cold can slow bleeding, but realistically not for the OP's scenario. If you are approaching Antarctic temperatures, frostbite can clot large wounds. Hypothermia can slow blood flow but if at significant levels to actually accomplish that will also reduce sensations of fear and pain.

Last edited:

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
C.H. and Areteus,

Thanks so much for your responses. I wasn't expecting any this day.

So, basically I need to slightly rethink how he slowly dies. No problem. I don't have to have him die specifically that way in order for the story to work.

I don't carbon monoxcide would be viable since it's after hours at a sporting goods store. I, off-hand, can't see where that would come into play.

For now, I guess I will just have his lacerations not nick major arteries (places where he'll bleed out quickly). Since he is being beaten with a metal rod --

OH! Just thought of how he ultimately died! Was staring me straight in the face ... duh!

However, your responses do help immensely. Very much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
George,

You and I were typing at the same time.

You have brought up great points.
As you can see from my reply that I will be scraping the bleeding out slowly idea.

Glad I asked about this. Some of my misconceptions have been corrected. It's always good to learn something new! =)

acelticdream

Registered
Reaction score
Mike,

Thank you for the link. Gross, but very helpful.