A book for writers really looking to plumb the dark side...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I just wanted to alert you guys to a book that has both gutted and inspired me. Truly, it's one of the best books I've ever read and, I think, invaluable for writers who wade into the deep end of the dark side.

It's called EVIL MEN and it's by an English professor and Human Rights researcher, James Dawes. (It turns out that I'm tangentially connected with James Dawes, but I promise you, this is not a friend pimping a friend's book.)

It's an in-depth look at atrocity and the psychological, social, and cultural components of how people come to do terrible things. Professor Dawes went to Japan to interview a group of war-criminals-turned-peace-activists.

It's amazing.

It's also a tough and deliberate read, but I feel like I've been educated in a single book.

Here's more on it, if this interests you - http://jamiemason.wordpress.com/2013/07/04/evil-men-by-james-dawes/

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It sounds fascinating but I think it would just about kill me inside.
He handled it very well. Certainly I wilted a good few times, but there are moments of insight and clarity that rocked me so hard the other way that it was all worth it.

Still, it's understandable that it might not be somewhere you want to go.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
The Amazon page for his book has a link to his CNN op-ed where he talks about how a good man could be turned into a savage killer in Syria. Yikes, a chilling read.

I will like to read his book soon. It will be scary, but probably worth reading to understand how dark human beings can get.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Sounds amazing. Thanks for the rec. I've been pretty toughened up by lifelong reading of history, but I may need to wait until I've done a current-event-detox before reading this one. Still, definitely adding to the list.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Saw your post about it a few days ago and added it to my list. As others have said, sounds really fascinating.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Jamie,

After reading your wonderful review of the book, I'm scared to read it. This means that I need to order myself a copy, hopefully for my Kindle.

I'm not sure if it's available electronically. If not, I think there's a button on Amazon to alert the publisher that people are asking for an e-version.

I'm rarely moved to write reviews, but I couldn't resist here. It's just that powerful.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Oh this looks great. It's my kind of book, as much as I hate to admit it. I shall add this to my list.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Humans have as great a capacity for hate as for love, and both have evolutionary value, it seems. The next step, from human to humane, from ill-analyzed impulse to reason, there's the big one. And we keep stumbling at it.

Scary book, but there are probably few among us writers who couldn't learn from it, human monsters being one of the mysteries we have to probe.

Status
Not open for further replies.