How to write your first book

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
How to write your first book

From the site:

Twenty-one successful authors — including Junot Díaz, Charlaine Harris, Dean Koontz, and George Saunders — tell how they overcame writer’s block, completed, and sold their debut titles.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have this book somewhere. Not very useful in practical terms. In fact, the best that can be learned about writing your first successful book is that there is no magic and there are many ways to get published.

Actually, that's the entire help in this book, so you don't need it anymore.

Jeff

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have this book somewhere. Not very useful in practical terms. In fact, the best that can be learned about writing your first successful book is that there is no magic and there are many ways to get published.

Jeff

WORD

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Books on writing are sometimes quite cute. And it's nice to kind of go, 'ah! yes. me too.' There's a sense that I'm in the right community when I'm reading such books.

But who cares.

When it comes to me sitting down and writing. I'm just gonna sit down and right, yo.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Books on writing are sometimes quite cute. And it's nice to kind of go, 'ah! yes. me too.' There's a sense that I'm in the right community when I'm reading such books.

But who cares.

When it comes to me sitting down and writing. I'm just gonna sit down and right, yo.

When I start to doubt myself and my direction with my writing, reading something that says "It's okay, you're feeling the same thing we did" is a huge relief. Those kind of stories can give good advice, but really, no one can tell you how YOU will do it. Pen on the paper, fingers on the keyboard, speech-to-text translator on, make words happen. That's the only constant.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yep...it is good to immerse yourself in the conversation of getting it done. I so agree.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I just go with the chocolate. I'm allergic to tequila. And all other types of alcohol.

And you don't outline *or* just sit down and write. You close your eyes, summon the word gremlins, and beg them to give you the right words for your story. Then you put your fingers on the keyboard and wait.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Gin.

And candles and mood music.

Oh wait, I think I'm on the wrong forum. ;)

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
It's coffee and chocolate, maybe mood music, and background noise (no alcohol for this chicky).

<<Gin.

And candles and mood music.

Oh wait, I think I'm on the wrong forum.>>

He he he!!

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score

I can't tell whether you are kidding or not. In this case, there is no book. The link in the op is to author interviews. Sample question:

When did you decide to write what became your first book? What were you doing for a living at the time?
Had you attempted to write other books prior to the one you ultimately published first?
etc.

"How To Write Your First Book" is just an unfortunate title for the article.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Nope. Coffee is the everyday stuff of life. One shot of spectacular tequila and one piece of great dark chocolate are the opening libations to my inner muses. But that is for big projects.

I start a story with one or two lines that rattle around my skull until I have to write them down and see what comes next.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
How to write your first book - start at the beginning, write until you reach the end.

Your very first book?

Write because you have to, because this or that character will not shut the f up. Write because it's burning a hole in your head.

Write because, godsdammit, you love to write.

Other things come into play later, so make the most of your first book. Write because it's fun, because your brain will melt otherwise, or the voices are getting to you or, hey, because you have the bestest idea ever

THIS is the time for unbridled enthusiasm, for just flinging the story on the page, for not giving a crap who else likes it

Savour it. Do it, and have fun with it, revel in it.

The rest comes later.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Tequila and chocolate serve opposite functions, don't they?

Tequila is for writing.

Chocolate (and other, clearly-inferior means of ingesting caffeine) is for editing.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Alcohol doesn't summon the muses; it quiets them.
Naw, it knocks out the inner editor and then the muses tear up the joint.

And leave a huge mess to be cleaned up later.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Birol.

Those voices that appear once you've had a few drinks? They're not your muse, they're a gang of troublemakers who make you write gibberish.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alcohol, coffee, chocolate, and any other "muse tweakers"... crutches are for the injured. Trust both your brain and body to be quicker and more dexterous without them, and you will be able to write just as well when they are not available as when they are.

And that's the best way to write a book--trust your brain and put it to work without a dependence on any crutches and without initial limitations of any convention. Then perfect the project by learning and applying the craft of writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.