Not open for further replies.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Hi Writer?? --

Folks give the various kinds of POV different names.
As long as everybody agrees on what's being discussed, I don't think the terminology is all that important. One set of terminology isn't any more or less correct than any other.

>>>"Tom walks out to his car. It's cold and he feels the chill deep in his bones. 'Moring Tom,' the neighbor calls. Tom waves back not really paying attention. He gets in the car and drives to the store; he never comes back. Jane cries for a week."<<<

What I first notice about this is that it's in present tense.

I'd call the POV Third Person, and add that it has an Omniscient Narrator.
When you call it Third Omni, I understand what you mean, so that's cool too.

The visual and sensory details of the scene mean the reader experiences this passage from a distance of twenty or thirty feet, so I'd say -- 'the focus is distant'.

The reader does not really experience what's happening to Tom, only 'hears' about it. So I'd call this a very 'shallow POV'.

>>>"I walked out to the car. It was cold and I felt the chill deep in my bones. 'Moringin Tom,' the neighbor called. I waved back not really paying attention. I got in the car and drove to the store; I never returned. Jane told me she cried for a week." <<<<

First person. Past tense.

>>"He walked out to the car, 'Morning Tom,' the neighbor called. He waved back, got in and drove to the store; he never came back."<<<<

Simple Third Person, past tense. The most common POV of fiction.

The focus seems fairly distant, but the passage is too short to be sure.

No way to tell how deep the POV will turn out to be from this passage.

I haven't run across the term 'observational POV' myself, but if somebody explained what it meant and wanted to used this terminology I'd get used to it.

>>>"You walk out to the car. It is very cold and you feel the chill deep in your bones. 'Morning Tom,' the neighbor calls. You wave back not really paying attention. You get in and drive to the store; you never return. Jane cries for a week."

I always think of Second Person as experimental stuff. Not of much interest to me since I'm not going to write in it and it's rare. More for literary analysis, I think.

"Gravity's Rainbow" uses 'you' in all of the various ways you can use 'you', including as a POV. Margaret Atwood used second person in "Rape Fantasies". And, of course, there's James Joyce. I think a lot of serious writers have played around with it.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
I am glad not everyone is as touchy as me. But I printed out a crit on my "Second Degree Injustice" last night and went over it a couple times. Some of what everyone has been trying to tell me finally clicked. I am hard-headed, and have been spending too much time being defensive, and not enough time looking for the faults that have been pointed out in my writing. Hopefully now I can start to improve, now that I have learned how to open myself up.(At least somewhat. Small steps!)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well, golly. Look what the mail brought today!

Tekno Books sent me a contract today. They want the rights to reprint one of my stories for Sony's new e-book reader (non-exclusive electronic, World English, five years).

Well, shucks. No advance, but this is for a reprint. 25% of purchase price as royalty.

I can do that. It's found money.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is that the same thing as 'liking the naps' ? Because then I'm Extremely laid-back.
I don't call that napping. I call that a writer's bath. It's that daydreaming state that allows you to imagine the next scene it its full glory.

Don't bother me, can't you see I'm working.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Story Idea, Free!

Take The Bourne Identity. Imagine that Jason Bourne, escaping from the Swiss bank, rather than hooking up with dodgy Eurotrash femme Marie instead got a ride from Maria from The Sound of Music.

How does the story go from that point?

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Story Idea, Free!

Take The Bourne Identity. Imagine that Jason Bourne, escaping from the Swiss bank, rather than hooking up with dodgy Eurotrash femme Marie instead got a ride from Maria from The Sound of Music.

How does the story go from that point?

I can no longer do BIC because I no longer have a B. I laughed it off.

Then I thought of the film: hmm...at least maybe there'd have been some chemistry if they'd done it this way...

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, golly. Look what the mail brought today!

Tekno Books sent me a contract today. They want the rights to reprint one of my stories for Sony's new e-book reader (non-exclusive electronic, World English, five years).

Well, shucks. No advance, but this is for a reprint. 25% of purchase price as royalty.

I can do that. It's found money.

Congrats UncleJim, I wish the best for you.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone think this is a mistake: I have four novels, two seperate poetry projects, and a short story addiction going at once.
I'm really still finding my voice, I have been writing fiction seriously only since October. Before that it was only jotting down ideas, but forgetting them, packing them away, etc...
Anyway, I don't think I am spreading myself to thin, I work on the piece that is coming easiest at that time, because when it gets forced it sucks (in my writing, at least).
Just curiouser and curiouser.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Work on one, then work on another -- if that's what's natural for you, that's fine with me.

Don't send them out until they're finished, but when they're finished, send them out. You have permission to do anything except not-write.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like a problem, smsarber, if you finish pieces that you're working on. If so, go ahead and work on as many as you like at a time.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
Unexpected reader reaction

I had a novel published by a small publisher last year. I wrote it some years ago and it took a while to find a home and so when it finally came out, I could hardly even remember who I was when I wrote it. Suffice it to say that like many first novels, it covers Important Themes and is very dark and full of angst. I am very glad I got it out of my system and though it is not the book I would write today, I'm not ashamed to have it on my shelf.

Most of the people who have read it have reacted strongly to it, which I think means I did my job, considering the kind of book it is. Many of them have found the book hard to read because of the subject matter (i.e., dark and depressing.) Others vehemently oppose the protag's ultimate decision (while agreeing it was completely in character for her), etc. One person even went so far as to say I had written one true thing, so if I never publish another word of fiction, I'll feel satisfied with that.

But a few days ago, I had lunch with a colleague who'd bought a copy of the book and began the familiar refrain, "You know, I found it hard to read."

And I nodded knowingly, and said, "It's a dark and depressing book."

And she said, "No, that's not why. The subject matter didn't bother me at all. I found it hard to read because you captured our city perfectly. And I hate the city and I despise the kind of people who live here."

I was taken aback because I like living in this city, and I like the kind of people who live here, and I worked very hard to make sure the setting seemed real. Apparently I was successful.

Don't have a question or even a conclusion. Just never expected to have done my job so well that someone would have trouble finishing my book for a reason like that! :)

FWIW,
Jennifer

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just never expected to have done my job so well that someone would have trouble finishing my book for a reason like that!

Congratulations, you are a Writer!

(Everyone, give Jennifer a round of applause. And thank her in the best way: Read her book. Then Will Come Night and Darkness. Buy one; better still, buy a dozen. They make excellent gifts.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Why McInerney?

a) Good writers are more fun to read than bad writers. One of these days I'm going to do another line-by-line, and these will do.

b) He's written at novel length in the three basic POVs, so a comparison, same writer to same writer, is more interesting.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Website copyright

Uncle Jim, I posted this question under "Book Promotion Ideas and Advice," but I'd like your take on it.

With the help of a designer who's not a writer, I'm creating a website. I'd like to post a few of my past published articles on the site, as well as a teaser from my WIP. I own the copyright on these pieces.

I'd like site visitors to know that articles are available to reprint with permission, but *only* with permission. Is there standard language for this? Is this understood, or do I need to say something to protect my work? Do I advertise my ignorance by asking this question in the first place?

I'll also have photos, video and audio on the site. Any clues as to how to protect these?

I'd appreciate your advice, and that of anyone else who cares to pitch some in. Thanks.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Uncle Jim, I posted this question under "Book Promotion Ideas and Advice," but I'd like your take on it.

With the help of a designer who's not a writer, I'm creating a website. I'd like to post a few of my past published articles on the site, as well as a teaser from my WIP. I own the copyright on these pieces.

I'd like site visitors to know that articles are available to reprint with permission, but *only* with permission. Is there standard language for this? Is this understood, or do I need to say something to protect my work? Do I advertise my ignorance by asking this question in the first place?

I'll also have photos, video and audio on the site. Any clues as to how to protect these?

I'd appreciate your advice, and that of anyone else who cares to pitch some in. Thanks.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say something like, "All rights reserved. For reprint permission, write to" and an email address.

When you do grant permission, spell out exactly what rights, where, and for how long, and what language you want as far as identifying it as your work (linkbacks, and so on).

Status
Not open for further replies.