angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Hi all:

I read a reference to a person being slapped by the queen as he was knighted. I was was curious about how a slap played into the whole practice of knighting someone. And where on Earth did such a practice come from?

If anyone has any answers, I'd be much obliged.

Liz

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
If I'm not mistaken (and I may well be!), the slap was similar to the ceremonial blows to the shoulders with the flat of a sword, and was meant to symbolize the last affront the about-to-be-knight could accept.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you watch Kingdom of Heaven the blow is how you remember the oath you take to be a knight.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In medieval times, that ceremonial blow was called the colee and was usually done by the father. It wasn't a gentle little smack, but quite often knocked the young knight off his feet so that he would always remember his oath.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
In medieval times, that ceremonial blow was called the colee and was usually done by the father. It wasn't a gentle little smack, but quite often knocked the young knight off his feet so that he would always remember his oath.
Yes, and it was expected to bring tears to his eyes. If it didn't hurt enough I guess he'd squeeze some out.:)