Greek spellings v Latin

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on using Greek spellings in novels about Ancient Greece, instead of the more familiar spellings? Achilleus instead of Achilles, Patroklos instead of Patroclus, etc. I've used the Greek in my book because I think it sounds exotic, but I'm also thinking it might be alienating to the reader. Also, what about dropping in the odd Mycenaean Greek word, like 'wanax' for king.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Use Greek. The Romans couldn't spell. Odysseus. Ulysses?!?!?! Romans = FAIL.

Don't mind me, I'm just being a Greek snob.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Doesn't matter. Just be consistent; likely a publisher is gonna have strong opinions, one way or the other, anyway.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
If you use unfamiliar words in any language, it's good to have something following that the reader can understand from the context has the equivalent meaning. It can be something as simple as wanax, chief, (or ruler or whatever).

Too much foreign language can be a turnoff to a reader. I like books that give me the opportunity to learn something new, foreign phrases included, but I don't want to get to the end of the book and still have no idea what the phrase actually meant. To me, unidentified foreign language is much the same as inserting a complex chemical formula in the text but not clueing the reader in as to what the formula was for. Always help the reader.

As far as Greek or Latin goes, it's a coin toss, as long as the Greek doesn't make it too unfamiliar to a reader. Puma

Suse

wants mutant powers
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look and see what Robert Fitzgerald and Robert Fagles did in their books. There translations are the gold standard.

Ah, the mighty Fagles! He doesn't use Ulysses but he does use Achilles. Lattimore uses Achilleus, but he's quite unusual in that. I wasn't thinking about changing my characters' actual names from Greek to Latin, as in Odysseus to Ulysses (urgh!). I just mean the spellings, as in k to c, ai to ae, etc.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I like dropping the odd Greek word in my Sparta story, and I like it when authors do it as well. The key is that the unfamiliar word should be easily defined by the context, so that it enhances the story instead of pulling the reader out of the story. And care must be taken to not overdo it.

c.e.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen both in recently published fiction, but my feeling is that the tide is turning towards Greek spellings. I'd be wary of using foreign words, unless it is necessary for the plot or is explained immediately. To me, it rarely adds anything.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I hate people tossing in foreign words for "flavor" like a wild hating thing. Using the original-language words for concepts and institutions that don't have an exact English equivalent is fine with me, but just putting in Greek words to make it seem Greekier doesn't work in my book.

My brother and I always joke, "The French have a word for it--chaise."

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I completely agree with IceCreamEmpress here and should have made myself more clear. (It's what a nasty head cold will do to you.) The words I have chosen to include in Greek in my story refer to things uniquely Spartan or ancient Greek, such as a particular type of weapon or a particular rank in the army that doesn't have the equivalent in modern day armies. I would not choose to use wanax for king, and I probably would find it annoying to wonder what such a word meant, only to find out it meant something as simple and universal as 'king'.

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
I have no idea what you are using this for, but if you are making mythological references, always use Homeric Greek names. Your question isn't really about spelling, since you are never using "Greek spelling" in an English text, but rather nomenclature. The spelling is a set of conventions which poorly reflect the way those words were spoken.

Here's an example. Zeus/Jupiter. Looks like they have nothing in common, right? Until you remember that ptr is a very old morpheme signifying "father" (same word), which appeared in Latin as "pater".

Zeus in Greek would actually be pronounced DIOS

couple sounds got clipped along the way

So Jupiter=Io Pater

Zeus, father of Gods.

*this rough illustration is not scholarly and omits necessary caveats

So I don't know what you mean by it "sounds exotic." If you wish to use Greek names for non-Greek characters, the only other good reason is mythological allegory. I'm a big fan of that, personally.

Tossing it in randomly for no reason...well, that's about as good as it sounds.

Last edited:

Phaedo

a non sequitur
Registered
Reaction score
because I think it sounds exotic
Exotic? not to me, at least. It sounds native, but then I am Russian. (we stole from Greeks)

Also, what about dropping in the odd Mycenaean Greek word, like 'wanax' for king.
Drop it.

The Romans couldn't spell. Odysseus. Ulysses?!?!?! Romans = FAIL.
I just love you! :)

Doesn't matter. Just be consistent;
That.

The key is that the unfamiliar word should be easily defined by the context, so that it enhances the story instead of pulling the reader out of the story. And care must be taken to not overdo it.
That.

I hate people tossing in foreign words for "flavor".
just putting in Greek words to make it seem Greekier doesn't work.
That.

Your question isn't really about spelling, since you are never using "Greek spelling" in an English text, but rather nomenclature. The spelling is a set of conventions which poorly reflect the way those words were spoken.
I couldn't have said it better.
That's the whole point. Because you are still not SPELLING in Greek (with Greek graphemes), you are still using English/Latin letters.
You want Greek so badly - use Greek, the original Greek. Or maybe just write the whole thing in original ancient Greek.
See what I mean?

Last edited:

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a good excuse for my favorite writing advice:

"As writers, our job is not to write so the reader understands us; it's to write so the reader can't possibly misunderstand us." - Arthur C. Clarke (Paraphrased from memory.)

I'm co-writing a historical-fantasy that takes place in Ancient Egypt, and were not using Aser, Ese, Sutekh or Ubasti, because they are far more recognizable as Osiris, Isis, Set and Bast. Most people associate these names automatically. Why would I use Clepsydra when water clock would work better and cleaner? Although, I might use wenuty because that was what the keeper of those clocks was called--but I would have them tending the water clock.

Last edited:

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wow. thanks for this, IB. I was actually wondering about that. Will use water clock now. Phew. thanks!

It's only my opinion, Phaedo.

Which brings me to my second favorite writerly advice (from Orson Scott Card):
"Every decision a writer makes has a cost."

Some will think you should use clepsydra and then define it, to preserve the accuracy--others will feel it's smoother as water clock, and it allows you to keep the pace. Ultimately, you can't please everyone. I try to go with what my audience can understand (see 1st piece of writerly advice). As most are not historians, simplicity counts for much.

Last edited:

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Use Greek. The Romans couldn't spell. Odysseus. Ulysses?!?!?! Romans = FAIL

In fairness to the Romans, I believe the random renaming had something to do with the Etruscans.

Suse said:
Ah, the mighty Fagles! He doesn't use Ulysses but he does use Achilles.

Ah, but which Fagles translation are you using? If it's the Odyssey, I'd fully expect him to use Odysseus. But what about his translation of the Aeneid? Virgil used Ulysses.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Those danged Etruscans.

Funnily enough, I had this exact same clepsydra/water clock dilemma myself a few weeks ago. I went with "water clock." No one will know what that looks like either, but I figured at least they'll know it's a clock.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
I'll chime in for the Greek spellings. I try to make a distinction throughout my work, especially since a major theme is the budding schism between Rome and Constantinople. I think that it would give your work a very authentic feel.

I have a thing for original spellings, like saying Moische instead of Moses. In my opinion it strips away the shiny shell of legend and lets you see a real man with very worn sandals.