Procrastination is my personal demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
I love writing and I love story telling. I always have amazing ideas and I start them off really well, but then the procrastination begins.

I look at my work and I begin to wonder if I can actually finish the story. There are so many good writers out there, why would I have the chance of being published? The self-hate of my writing starts clawing at me on the inside and my mind begins to doubt my abilities to succeed.

'I will only go on this website for a couple of minutes,' I'd tell myself, but then two hours later I'm still on it and I no longer have the desire to write. My procrastination is my personal demon and my desire to finish my story is thrown out the window.

With the uni semester coming to an end, I've found my love of writing again and have started a story last week. I'm 6k into it and I'm doing well. Although, the low self-esteem has come out to play more than once, I've forced myself to ignore it and continued plugging on. It's only a short anthology story and I only 4k more to write. I had aimed to get it done by June 1st, yet the day is here and it's not finished. However, I have forced myself not to be upset about it. It was my own deadline and I had wanted to start on something else at the beginning of June (while leaving this story for a couple of weeks, before going back to edit it.).

Surprisingly enough, with enough self-reassurance, I'm not as angry at myself as I thought I'd be. I can do it, I'm telling myself, and I need to stop with all the self-hate because in the end, I'm my own worst enemy.

So today, my goal is to finish my anthology story (which only has two and a half scenes left) and I'm going to be proud of myself. And if I don't get it done, then that's okay. I always have tomorrow.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Surprisingly enough, with enough self-reassurance, I'm not as angry at myself as I thought I'd be. I can do it, I'm telling myself, and I need to stop with all the self-hate because in the end, I'm my own worst enemy.

So today, my goal is to finish my anthology story (which only has two and a half scenes left) and I'm going to be proud of myself. And if I don't get it done, then that's okay. I always have tomorrow.
So glad to see that you realize this and won't let it be a stumbling block in your progress. :D

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you! I am a master procrastinator myself. Good luck, sounds like completing it is within reach!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allow me to introduce you to the Firefox extension Leechblock, which limits your time online or at a particular site. It puts an end to time-wasting and writing-avoidance.

Although a kitchen timer can do the same thing, or better, an alarm clock with a snooze button you may hit once in 24 hours.

Maryn, been there too

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Glad to hear you are making progress!

You are an inspiration to me, and hopefully I can at least push my own demon back for just a bit.

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
Personal Demons

Don't be so hard on yourself!! You're working towards your goal and that's what counts. Most battles (especially personal ones) are fought long and hard before you reach victory! Keep on pushing :eek:)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Get Freedom or a similar app that turns off your Internet for a set amount of time. Seriously, this can be a writing quota life-saver.

And keep fighting that demon! It's really not your personal one, since it besets so many of us. ;)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I would have replied to this thread sooner, but I didn't get around to it.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
Major procrastinator here. I feel your pain.

Give yourself a writing goal, whether it's word count, writing for a specific amount of time, or finishing a scene. When I get really stuck, I find setting some sort of goal gets me moving in the right direction.

Book Fiend

Registered
Reaction score
Meg, my weakness isn't the internet. It's reading, I would read all day if I could. Yesterday, I was on day 10 of writing my WIP. I thought I kind of handle on the writing thing, so I gave myself permission to read for a while. Which I usually don't until I hit a minimum word count. The end result was that I was working until 9pm.

So, I'm back to not allowing myself to do anything until I hit my word count. Stuff like reading is my reward for finishing my daily writing. Someone on AW (thanks, Antonin) shared this link with me when I began writing: http://www.publishingcrawl.com/2014...riting-productivity-the-productivity-pyramid/

It talks about doing stuff like setting rituals for writing and a daily routine. The article was helpful because I am finding it easier to write every day now that I have a ritual for how I begin writing and and a pretty set routine.

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone! It's a work in progress, but it's definitely an accomplishment for me to stop thinking so negatively. On top of that, I've met some amazing, inspiring people on here and that's helped more than I can put into words. So thank you to every single one of you from the bottom of my heart.

Allow me to introduce you to the Firefox extension Leechblock, which limits your time online or at a particular site. It puts an end to time-wasting and writing-avoidance.

I didn't even know this existed and it may definitely help with the website surfing! Thank you so much :)

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
The good news is that I have now finished the anthology story I was working on and had it sent to a beta. I am now in the editing stages. This is a huge accomplishment for me and I am so proud of myself. Now to get it ready to send it the publisher.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! So glad you finished your story!

I think procrastination, and self-doubt, are big issues for a lot of writers. I know they are for me. I always have to remind myself to get my butt in the chair. Good for you for pushing through it!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, good for you! Any tips to share?

Maryn, pleased on your behalf

Status
Not open for further replies.