Books for Dad

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I usually get my dad a couple of books when the holidays and birthdays roll around, but I'm short on picks for him this year.

The last couple picks I gave him were well-received: Killing Lincoln by O'Reilly, New York by Edward Rutherford, 11/22/63 by King. He's also enjoyed things like Devil in the White City by Larson and loved The Given Day by Dennis Lehane. He's read a lot of Lehane since picking that one up a few years ago and he still mentions how much he enjoyed it.

Not everything needs to have a historical twists but I guess that's the direction I've been going lately. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them--they don't have to be recent but if it's new one then there's a lesser chance he would have come across it himself.

Thanks!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any of the books you mentioned, but...
Beautiful Ruins - Jess Walter

Books I thought I might get for my dad for Christmas
(but these are along slightly different lines):
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson
The Family Fang - Family Wilson

also maybe:
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan

All of these are books I've read and enjoyed.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
City of Thieves by David Benioff. It's hard to describe this book. I guess you could say it's a coming-of-age story/road trip tale/World War II action novel all rolled into one.

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. A very dark but very exciting contemporary crime thriller.

Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan. *SPOILER ALERT* This is a "heist" novel about a group of Irish-American buddies who come up with a plot to rob Fenway Park.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Prince of Thieves
by Chuck Hogan. *SPOILER ALERT* This is a "heist" novel about a group of Irish-American buddies who come up with a plot to rob Fenway Park.
This is what The Town is based on. I actually have a copy lying around somewhere but never read it; I'll skim through it and look into the author for others. Thanks!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
This is what The Town is based on. I actually have a copy lying around somewhere but never read it; I'll skim through it and look into the author for others. Thanks!

Yeah, that's the one. I've caught a few scenes from the movie on TV but I've never had a chance to watch it from start to finish.

I haven't read any of Chuck Hogan's other books -- not even sure if all of his stuff is crime fiction, or if he's been published in other genres.