• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Xchyler Publishing / Hamilton Springs Press

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they are open to submissions according to their face book page but without knowing anything about them, I would be hesitant to even submit a query.

Unfortunately, they will get submissions though...

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like they are a new start up trying to drum up web buzz with a facebook competition. Nothing particularly harmful about that as far as I can tell so far... at the moment they are an unknown quantity until someone submits to them and finds out how they work and reports any good/bad experiences here.

My strategy for now would be to wait and see. I may look at their website to see what they are looking for and may submit something with no expectations...

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From their Facebook page:
We are accepting all types and styles of fiction.

Owner - Carrie Beeson

From their Facebook wall page:
We would like to thank everyone that sent in their resumes to be considered for the beta reader and editor positions that we had available. Both slots have been filled. We would like to welcome Rob Hardin (beta) and Margaret Grady (editor) to the team!

From their blog:
Team

Owner - Carrie Beeson
Marketing Director - Mary Duke
Editor in Chief - Courtney Conant
Editor- Melissa Ravelli
Beta - Joseph Rubas
Beta - Caitlin McColl
Illustrator - Suzin Bhe

They also have a call for submissions for a dragon-themed fantasy anthology on their blog, but no mention of payment.

It appears that the company owner is the mother of an aspiring a self-published writer, for whom the press is named:
So, if you've been on Mera's YA Book List for a while you'll know about the amazing Mary Duke!

Her pen name is Xchyler Conn!

So, in March her mother Carrie Beeson is officially launching her very own publishing company and it has the perfect name for her!

Xchyler Publishing!

The company does have some phenomenal people working for it. Included in this team is Mary. She is taking care of all of the marketing, as well as many other important aspects within the company.
Adding: The Editor in Chief also appears to be a self published author with no prior editing experience. I would guess that the first books this press publishes will be authored by team members.

Last edited:

Mary Duke

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys I just wanted to let you know a few thing to clear the air.
We had a professional create our website, and it ended up taking a little longer to create then we thought. So yes our facebook page was out beforehand.
I, the marketing director, am an aspiring author, but no you will not find my books nor none of the staff's books available anytime soon. (As in it won't happen.) My books are currently being published by Trestle Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing under the pen name Xchyler Conn.
Courtney Conant is no longer with us, though I would like to say she has worked as a professional editor for many years, between technical writing/editing for books and catalogs to full-length novels.
Our website is http://xchylerpublishing.com/index.html

Our steampunk dragon anthology is closed at the moment, but the authors chosen together split 60% of the profit, as stated in our contract.

"3. ROYALTIES
The Publisher will pay the Author royalties based upon net sales as reported by the Publisher and their distributors as follows: EBOOKS: Forty Percent (40%) to Author of the proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (booksellers, distributors, book clubs, external web sites, etc.) or through direct sales by Publisher; PAPERBACK: Twenty-Five Percent (25%) to Author of proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (as noted above) or through direct sales by Publisher; ANTHOLOGIES: Author split of Sixty Percent (60%) for EBOOK and Twenty-Five Percent (25%) for PAPERBACK. No advance will be paid by the Publisher to the Author."

By the way, Carrie's email is always open as is my own.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
My books are currently being published by Trestle Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing under the pen name Xchyler Conn.

Presumably, that would be this Trestle Press and this Gypsy Shadow Publishing.

Do you have any marketing experience with major (Big 6), independent, or small (not micropress) publishers? What industry experience in publishing do other principals at Xchyler Publishing have prior to joining Xchyler?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Hi guys I just wanted to let you know a few thing to clear the air.
We had a professional create our website, and it ended up taking a little longer to create then we thought. So yes our facebook page was out beforehand.
I, the marketing director, am an aspiring author, but no you will not find my books nor none of the staff's books available anytime soon. (As in it won't happen.) My books are currently being published by Trestle Press and Gypsy Shadow Publishing under the pen name Xchyler Conn.
Courtney Conant is no longer with us, though I would like to say she has worked as a professional editor for many years, between technical writing/editing for books and catalogs to full-length novels.
Our website is http://xchylerpublishing.com/index.html

Our steampunk dragon anthology is closed at the moment, but the authors chosen together split 60% of the profit, as stated in our contract.

"3. ROYALTIES
The Publisher will pay the Author royalties based upon net sales as reported by the Publisher and their distributors as follows: EBOOKS: Forty Percent (40%) to Author of the proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (booksellers, distributors, book clubs, external web sites, etc.) or through direct sales by Publisher; PAPERBACK: Twenty-Five Percent (25%) to Author of proceeds of the sale (revenues) received by Publisher through third parties (as noted above) or through direct sales by Publisher; ANTHOLOGIES: Author split of Sixty Percent (60%) for EBOOK and Twenty-Five Percent (25%) for PAPERBACK. No advance will be paid by the Publisher to the Author."

By the way, Carrie's email is always open as is my own.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Quoted for posterity.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Am I the only one who's never heard of a "beta reader" position at a publisher? Could someone explain to me what that entails? (I mean, I know what a beta reader is, of course, but I'm unclear why a publisher would have one.)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who's never heard of a "beta reader" position at a publisher? Could someone explain to me what that entails? (I mean, I know what a beta reader is, of course, but I'm unclear why a publisher would have one.)
First Reader? Intern?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I assumed too.

Why call them beta readers, though? It's wrong. And you know how I like things to be right.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Lol I've read both threads and well I'm quite confused :D.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking "ziche-lar". To rhyme with "eye-ch-larr".

How many different pronunciations does that make? And how many spellings might that equate to, do you think?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
And how difficult will it be for people wanting their books to type it into a search engine? If it's difficult to spell and pronounce... is that how you want to be known? Unless someone's looking for a specific author or book title, what do you type into a search window if you can't quite remember how the publisher's spelled?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same person. Speaking of F&W, I'm curious what Xchyler intends to do with these author contracts.

I had several books with AMP when they closed their doors. Musa purchased the Aurora imprint. All authors had their rights returned to them and were offered new contracts from Musa. I hope Xchyler offers the same to the F&W authors.

ETA: Because someone has asked me: We were under no obligation to accept the new contracts from Musa. They were offered, but authors were free to take their rights and go elsewhere.

Last edited: