The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Another Sad Story from the PA boards...

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/signings/397.htm

Hi there,

I wonder and wish I would just migrate to USA instead of sticking around here in Windsor, Canada....with my parents and the rest of the family being US Nationls. If I wish to broaden my horizons I should listen to my parents now because they don't like Canada and are persuing me to move with them...and me liking Canada was not prepared to do so...just being scared of the changing policies there...though I am being sponsored by my father now. But there is still time before I take my citzenship here and move away with my family from Windsor to Detroit.
It all started with my being disappointed now with the cold responses I am getting from every where around here from the newspapers, media, bookstores, and else where. No matter how desperatly you try hard to promote and market your book here. It all started with the first response of Toronto Star giving me a call and refusing me bluntly saying they won't give any coverage since they think that PA is not a reputable publishing company. Now I contacted windsor Star and sent them my copy for review and when I call the concerned person to who I had sent the copy to with the details he would not even bother to return the call....well then none do that here. The same is the case with the media here....though I am a Canadian resident here.
Just too sad and disappointed now....no wonder the wise say that, " USA is a land of opportunities". These thoughts are provoking me to change my opinion about Canada and move to USA in near future soon.Though up till now I had been defending Canada all along...not knowing what lies in store for you here....
I can tell her (and the rest of Canada) that PA authors can't get their books into US stores as well...

Nothing to do with the country - just the fact that PublishAmerica isn't considered a real publisher by anyone who's serious.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
realitychuck said:
I'm guessing that this was done by the author, not PA. There is a price break for PA if they print 50 copies. So probably the author negotiated a deal with PA to be able to buy them cheap if they buy 50 at a time.

Armed with that, the author set up shop on Amazon (that looks like a separate "store" within Amazon, not Amazon itself). Their idea is to sell 50 copies to bookstores, who could then mark up the book as they saw fit and sell them. It's a clever idea -- if you have no conception of the realities of bookselling. A store isn't going to invest $350 for 50 nonreturnable books.

The book is my book. I am not pbshopus. I did NOT set up that deal. That's a stupid deal and though I've been stupid in the past, this I would not do.

So, this store within Amazon, wait's for an order for 50 from someone and then negotiates a deal with PA to get what must be an amazing price? My book, First Impression, runs $16.95. If this store sells my book for $7, they have to be buying it for less than that. PA wouldn't give me a deal of $7 a book if I ordered 50 copies, which I never have nor would. A 60% discount would make my book $6.78. I can not see PA giving anyone that type of discount. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
I'm a published author with PA and not a happy one.
I am trying to get out of my contract and hope they are smart enough to let me out.
I spent 20 years researching my book only to be swindled by the likes of PA.
I was kicked off the message board because I asked a question then followed it up with facts. I have not been allowed back on and that was months ago.
All I can say is beware new authors. I know most people are just happy to get a book published. Well that is not my case and if they want war then I'm ready to fight!
Pissed in Texas....

Hey, T42, glad to make your acquaintance. Pissed, I well understand -- it's a club whose numbers are growing by leaps and bounds. :welcome:

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
T42...hey, you sound a lot like me, welcome, sorry for your experience, these are good people as you'll find out. So glad you're here though as opposed to still over there!

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked another author's book that runs $19.95 retail through PA. This site is selling them at $9.16 if you buy 50 copies. Here's the url, if you wish to check your own PA book:

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-zshop/S1RGZJ1Q6I9INN/103-5458778-8355034

I just want to know how in the world this shop is able to do this and how they get the discount they are getting. I want my book to be $7 everywhere. Least I wouldn't be as embarrassed.

Last edited:

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
My book is on there for $7. and if you read all the reviews of people who bought books from this company, you'll see some "they dont' answer their email" and "book never arrived" this seems fishy to me so I am going to check on it.
That doesn't mean anyone will tell me anything, but I'll try.

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
well, they've got my ditty up there for under five bucks.

about what it's worth, imo - maybe they're the ones who were purchasing my book this past year - 'cause I sure wasn't!

:p

Seven bucks is about what mine's worth imo as well. Maybe even a little less. If they have a printer that cheap, then that is who they should go with. They would sell more....wait...it goes back to the fact that it wouldn't matter as price is definitely NOT the only thing wrong with PA. By the way, I've checked several titles. All of them are discounted like mine, so far. Honestly, I just don't know what to think about this.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Kind of makes one wonder if PA's sales to authors are so bad that they're having to seek out real customers in order to stay afloat? ;)

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome Chris and Sherry:)
They have not responded to my letter yet, which I sent last week so I sent them another one today and told them I needed a response asap.
I had a girlfriend who ordered and paid for the book from PA Jan. 14th and Feb. 2nd she called me and said she still had not gotten the book. I called PA and they said they had mailed it Jan. 26th. I talked to her this morning and she had called PA this morning and told them she has not gotten it and wants her money back. They said they would get out another one this morning.
NO book stores will touch PA's authors and no one will do a press release for PA authors in Austin. AND certainly no one will pay the price they charge for a paperback book of the size produced, including myself.
This is PART of the letter I sent to PA. (The Facts)
I've got company coming so I need to get busy. Enjoy reading and I'll see you all later:Coffee: Have a cup of Tea on me.
T42

As I see the whole picture now about royalty companies such as PA

Their royalty contract is only a royalty contract on paper. They claim they will bear all the expense of publishing your book and then pay you royalties, but in reality, and in a nutshell, this is how it works.

Submit: You feel good about your choice. You have researched many publishers and have selected this one.

Accept: Oh, rapturous day! They love your book and want to publish it and give you a royalty contract to boot!

Typeset: From your file, they will typeset your manuscript and design the book.

Cover and More: A staff artist produces a cover while someone in the office assigns an ISBN and arranges for the copyright.

Online Proof: You cannot really see anything but the front of the book, which looks great. Not happy with the picture they chose so they send you a new idea. Still cannot really tell what it will look like on the book but it seems to look okay on the online proof.

Production: Upon your approval, they will put your book into production.
You're ready to go, right? Wrong.
Nowhere in this process has anyone edited or proofed your book other than you. You have had minimal, if any, input regarding the cover. You have also signed away many of your rights to the publisher. The only way the publisher will print more copies is if someone orders them through bookstores or if you pay for them.
In practice, this publisher will charge you to buy your books at a 25%-30% discount. So, if they put a $20 retail price on your book, you will pay between $14 and $15 per book and this does not include the shipping and handling cost. A book, which cost the publishers about $3.00 to make.

As quoted by Shawn from PA:

The retail price of the book is $19.95. It will be available from our website for $16.95.

PublishAmerica offers the following author discounts:

1-20 copies: 20%
21-49 copies: 30%
50-99 copies: 40%
100 or more copies: 45%

On the upside, you can sell each book for a $5-$6 profit, but only in direct sales. Do you personally know that many people who want to buy your book? On the downside, it would be financially unreasonable for you to peddle them to bookstores because booksellers want a 40% discount. In real dollars, the bookseller will pay you $12 for your $20 book-a book for which you paid $14 or $15. You'll lose money on each sale.

I think that this kind of information is a book in itself. I have heard many complaints from others who have published with your company and many who have tried to ask questions on the boards only to be taken off. (I am one of those.) I have written several letters, which have all been ignored, and have had to call several times. I have written to the Writers League of Texas, and they have responded by asking me to write an article for their newsletter concerning this matter and how POD royalty companies do business. I do know that reputable publishers do not have you sign a seven-year contract. I would rather not do this, because I 'm not out to ruin your company. I know that many people do not care, that they're just happy to have a book published. That is not my case.

I worked for over 20 years researching herbs to find help for sickness and wanted my recipes published to help others. At this point I would not pay that much money for a paperback, let alone expect my friends and family too. It would do me no good to sell my book to stores and at this point, would be too embarrassed to approach booksellers.

At this point, I would like to terminate my contract with Publishamerica, and require a letter that reassigns all rights back to me. This book, in this form, will not go to market with my permission.

realitychuck

Hack Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
KellyS. said:
The book is my book. I am not pbshopus. I did NOT set up that deal. That's a stupid deal and though I've been stupid in the past, this I would not do.
My apologies. I hadn't realized it was yours.

But whoever set up the site had to have some connection with PA and some way of them agreeing to sell the book in bulk quantities for $7. Maybe it's an experiment on their part to see if bookstores or authors will bite.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
realitychuck said:
But whoever set up the site had to have some connection with PA and some way of them agreeing to sell the book in bulk quantities for $7.
Would it have to be with PA, or could they go straight to Lightning Source?

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Pricing?

realitychuck said:

But whoever set up the site had to have some connection with PA and some way of them agreeing to sell the book in bulk quantities for $7. Maybe it's an experiment on their part to see if bookstores or authors will bite.

I seem to be looking at the wrong place because the site I see () has the price set at $15.69.

Do you think the Travis Tea reviewer will post a review of Atlanta Nights now that it is available from Amazon.com?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gratian,

You asked if anyone had ever read any of HB's books. I read his first. He has a very visual and creative imagination, however his grasp of written English is not that strong. He would require some writing courses before his work would ever be accepted by a legitimate publisher. He has enough talent that he should consider working harder on his craft. I found his book clever and amusing, aside from the technical problems...

Kelly, Ksing, sure I remember you. Yeah, I've been on lots of talk shows (radio and tv).

Diana

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
AN on Amazon.com

I searched for Atlanta Nights on Amazon.com and had no luck. However, I must not be the only one because Amazon.com suggested a related search of "Travis Tea." :cool:

Gratian Gasparri

Grand Inquisitor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.surprisedbycanonlaw.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Kevin, I have to disagree with you about not reporting that so-called police visit. Keep in mind that the guy who was willing to misrepresent himself for a business like PA might be willing to do other illegal acts. It's better to let the authorities deal with him now so they'll have him on file before he graduates to the point where he actually hurts someone.

I agree with Dave. If the individual is a cop, they can give him a good warning before he really crosses the line. On the other hand, if the individual is a fake, this needs to be exposed before anyone else is threatened or worse happens. I would take the "I am just concerned someone is impersonating you" approach with the cops.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
At this point, I would like to terminate my contract with Publishamerica, and require a letter that reassigns all rights back to me. This book, in this form, will not go to market with my permission. [/font][/color]

Good luck, T42. Dig in your heels, though -- it's going to be an uphill battle.

Al B. Tross

Diana,

Just for the sake of discussion, have you read:

Computer-End Program
ISBN 1-4137-2496-5

I am curious as to your opinion.

bikrpreacher

Banned
Reaction score
Link to reviews...

deleted...did it this way so it wouldn't take me clear to page one again

Last edited:

KellyS.

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
realitychuck said:

No big deal! ;)

DeePower

Logo's response

"Bookstores love our books. That is why they are ordering them more than 300 times per day, each day. And that's brick and mortar stores. Amazon places an additional 120 orders with PublishAmerica, every single day of the week!"

PA has revenues per Larry Clopper of between $4 to $6 million per year.

300 +120 = 420 books a day X 365 X {$20 (average retail price of a PA book) x 40% discount} = revenues of $2,452,800 per year generated from bookstores and amazon.com

Where are the remainder of sales generated?

Dee

keltora

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Interesting. Notice he only has two reviews up. Guess the others got ripped down.

Laura J. Underwood (A Little Bit of Travis Tea--My ATLANTA NIGHTS can poke out your EYE OF ARGON any day!)

DRAGON'S TONGUE forthcoming from Meisha Merlin in the Summer of 2006. Preview a copy at http://www.embiid.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.