Is it a Christian Novel or Inspirational Novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stargazer11

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys... question for all of you. I am a first writer who just finished my first novel. I am in the query stage, and I need to make sure I query this the write way.

Can someone please explain the difference between inspirational and christian fiction? I consider my story to be more inspirational because we follow the spirtitual growth of a boy looking to become a man through different learning experiences. And at the end, he learns more about himself than he could ever think possible. Faith is also a part of my story...

Any help will be appreciated...

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Inspirational fiction is only Christian fiction if Christ is the inspiration. Lots of things can be inspirational without Christ. Lots of people have faith in lots of things other than Christ.

If you talk to CBA publishers (Christian Booksellers Association) they usually define Christian fiction as fiction that has a Christian "worldview". Definitions of a Christian worldview vary, of course, but to the CBA, it usually means one that is centered around a belief in the authority and inerrancy of the Bible. This is a pretty good link.

Now, this does not mean every story has to be about someone's walk thought the Bible or that someone needs to be "saved" at the end, but the theme of your story must support that Christian worldview. If your character learns and grows due to experiences other that Christ/Bible-based, it won't be Christian fiction to them

If you're trying to sell outside the CBA, you have a lot more freedom, but unless the publisher is looking specifically for Christian fiction, I think inspiriational will be more saleable.

Just my opinion, of course.

stargazer11

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. Carlson... Your answer helps alot. In my story, there is no mention of The Bible, nor is my protagonist a church-goer. He learns as he grows. I feel the right fit is inspirational fiction.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.