Woman arrested after authorities find the bodies of 7 babies

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's likely that Megan Huntsman was such a strung out mess that infanticide was her regular birth control method and it's that simple. Hard as it is for sane people to fathom it.

It could be boxing them up and storing them in the garage was just quick and easy and she thought it less likely that someone would find them in her garage vs. disposed of off of her property somewhere. If she was too scattered to plan birth control, maybe also too scattered to plan better body disposals? And, after all, it did work for almost two decades, if the timeline she's given is true.

I've heard that with murders where they find children's bodies, a clue that the mother was the murderer is the child's body being wrapped in a blanket, maybe having a toy with it, that kind of thing that shows some feeling for it. I didn't hear anything on that. Not that it matters, I guess, but just wondering if it would shed any light on her thought processes at the time.

If the timeline she gave was true, her youngest daughter would have been born in the midst of the murders. I wonder why she let that one live?

Or, who knows, maybe the murdered ones were all boys and she specifically didn't like boys for some reason.

Or her timeline is a lie and her daughters gave birth and the murders were to cover up child prostitution for drugs, or incest. Which wouldn't be that hard to believe, compared to murder.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think there were only six charges because at the time, all they had to go on as to who did it was Megan Huntsman's confession and she said one of them was stillborn. But if the examinations show otherwise, then I assume she'll be charged with the seventh one as well.

Later articles said no one knew she was pregnant with her first two daughters (who are now young adults) until she went to the hospital to have them. So I guess she is quite capable of hiding her pregnancies.

Also, the boyfriend she was currently living with said she had a miscarriage in the past couple of years. Apparently, the authorities spent several hours searching the mobile home he shared with her but didn't find anything else.

Ugh, neighbors from the house the bodies were found in and at the mobile home park said she loved children and liked to babysit.

Last edited:

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's likely that Megan Huntsman was such a strung out mess that infanticide was her regular birth control method and it's that simple. Hard as it is for sane people to fathom it.

It could be boxing them up and storing them in the garage was just quick and easy and she thought it less likely that someone would find them in her garage vs. disposed of off of her property somewhere. If she was too scattered to plan birth control, maybe also too scattered to plan better body disposals? And, after all, it did work for almost two decades, if the timeline she's given is true.

I've heard that with murders where they find children's bodies, a clue that the mother was the murderer is the child being wrapped in a blanket, maybe having a toy with it, that kind of thing that shows some feeling for it. I didn't hear anything on that. Not that it matters, I guess, but just wondering if it would shed any light on her mental processes at the time.

If the timeline she gave was true, her youngest daughter would have been born in the midst of the murders. I wonder why she let that one live?

Or, who knows, maybe the murdered ones were boys and she specifically didn't like boys.

Or her timeline is a lie and her daughters gave birth and the murders were to cover up child prostitution or incest. Which wouldn't be that hard to believe, compared to murder.

Agreed, sadly.

Perhaps the youngest daughter was born during a short-lived attempt at getting clean, while she was in her right mind. Maybe it's as simple as the daughter being born while she was between highs.

Or perhaps someone discovered the baby before she had a chance to get rid of it - thus eliminating that option.

Of course, these are only theories.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm not saying that's the case with the Utah woman, but it does seem that women experiencing post-partum depression or psychosis might act in ways that don't necessarily match up with other types of depression or psychosis. And one person with depression or psychosis might not act in the same way as someone else, for that matter...

This is true Kim, and you make a very good point. Not sure I believe people didn't notice anything if she had either of those disorders, but I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to giving people like this woman an out by saying she was experiencing post partum etc. Some really do have those issues, like the girl you mention. In those cases I feel for both killer and victim.

In these kinds of cases not so much. The pattern in which these deaths occured is just too convient for my taste.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I agree, Lillith. I'm not saying this woman necessarily had any type of mental health problem, either long-term or post-partum, that contributed to her crime. Just pointing out that there may be differences in behavior between a post-partum mental illness and a "regular" (for want of a better word) mental illness. And also that two people with exactly the same mental health diagnoses can experience vastly different symptoms and behaviors. Speaking from personal observation on that last one, since my mother, my 18-year-old, and I all have identical mental health diagnoses, but don't have all the same symptoms or behaviors as a result.

Back on the topic of the Utah case, I would lean even more than previously to saying this woman did *not* have mental health issues that contributed to the murders; I read an article yesterday--that I naturally can't find now--which said police have a motive that they weren't willing to release yet.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
my first instinct, on reading this story, was that the pregnancies were as a result of rape - or that they were her daughter's babies through rape or incest. I don't know why I jumped to that - it just seemed improbable to me that she'd been pregnant seven times and nobody noticed. Once or twice, maybe - I know it does happen, and some women just don't look pregnant (although often towards the end of the pregnancy something starts to show.) Makes me wonder if the other kids were complicit in this...

Weird story. Weird and sad.