Slow left click button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
My left click button on my laptop does not always work. Sometimes I have to click it six or eight times before it does anything. I can't be sure, but it almost looks like it is not completely level in the computer case like the right click button is. At best it is aggravating. At worst I wonder if it will short something out. Is this a problem for a repair shop? I don't want to short something else out, but I sure hate to give up my computer for a few days to be fixed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Crumb of something under it, maybe? Have you tried the old 'turn over and shake'?

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Crumb of something under it, maybe? Have you tried the old 'turn over and shake'?

I have turned it over and shook it. I guess that would remove the crumbs, but maybe not the cat hair. On closer inspection, it appears loose within the case.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Might be worth taking the top off and having a look before you spend money on repairs.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, mirandashell for your suggestions. Does anyone else have any ideas?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Remember you can always use another mouse with a USB port in case the built-in mouse/trackpad isn't working, or for ease of use. Sometimes a separate mouse is easier to deal with.

Windows or Mac? Trackpad?

With a trackpad, you should also be able to configure the pad itself to accept a tap or double tap as a left-click or left double-click.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
This is also reminding me of an old joke:

What scares a hardware engineer?

A software engineer with a screwdriver.

:D

Be careful if you try to attempt any repairs yourself.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Logitech makes a perfectly nice wireless mouse with a little plug-in to the USB port. They go on sale for about $15 at office supply stores and big discounters like Target and Best Buy quite often. You can get colors and patterns, too.

In my experience, while the Microsoft mouse worked just as well, it churned through batteries, each one lasting only 3-4 weeks even if you turn it off when not in use. The Logitech mouse I bought last summer is still on its first battery.

This might be the easiest solution, bypassing the built-in altogether.

Maryn, who'd go for it

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maryn and TheIt. That tapping and double tapping thing on the mousepad works like a charm. If it stops, I'll get a remote mouse. You guys always come through for me with technical help. If I can ever help by critting for you or anything, I'd be glad to.

Status
Not open for further replies.