Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Here's what I do:

1. Send whiny, "It happened AGAIN!" emails to my husband and writer friends.

2. Post some self-deprecating remarks on AW, usually here in my home away from home, R & D. Sometimes, if I haven't gotten the whine out of my system, I'll started a boo-hoo thread here. (Joking aside, I am eternally grateful to the support around here, and if I get published, AW is getting a shout-out in my acknowledgements).

3. Re-read and often tweak/revise the MS, depending on whether or not I got feedback. If I've gotten several forms in a row, I revisit it anyway and look for potential problems.

4. Send out more queries.

5. Get more rejections, send out whiny, "It happened AGAIN!" emails . . .

I need to break the cycle, man! Somebody throw me a liferaft made of chocolate or something! ;)

Harvest

Registered
Reaction score
I make myself send something out (enter a short story contest, send out another query, etc.). I give myself a two day deadline (and allow it to be stretched to the end of the week if need be but don't allow it to go longer than that).

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Funny how chocolate comes up in this thread. I've just come to the computer from the evening news and guess what !!! - researchers have definitive proof that chocolate eases depression. It's on the national news this very night here in Australia.

However, I am also sitting here with a glass of Hoppers Hill 1991 Sauvignon Blanc. This is made by a winemaker friend of mine who manages to make wine of such extraordinary quality that even his whites are still thriving after 16 years in the bottle. It's a rich gold colour and has such smoothness and depth of flavour that if I could write like this guy makes wine I would never have to worry about another rejection letter in my life.

Anyway, today I got another rejection letter. Opening the wine had nothing to do with coping mechanisms or anything. Really.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Here's mine....

1. Log it.
2. File it.
3. Veg for the evening...either in videogames or becoming a zombie in front of the TV. I give myself permission to not accomplish anything for one evening, with the caveat that I must write the following day during my lunch hour and after work to make up for it.

The day that I received three rejections at once sucked at my soul. Serious therapy was in order, in the form of double fudge chocolate brownies, a nice glass of Reisling, and a long hot bubble bath reading a trashy romance that made me feel better about my writing until my cat cried for me outside the door, making me feel loved again.

One rejection letter is a bummer, but I can handle it. Three at once....well....I'd prefer jabbing a freshly sharpened chopstick into my eye. Especially when one had misspellings in it.

Yeah, yeah. I know. They're not rejecting me. I certainly wasn't impressed with the misspellings. Still, multiple rejections are like cruel and unusual punishment, aren't they? Especially all at once?

For that matter....next time I send queries, I'm making my roommate go through the mail first. That way I only get one at a time.

Last edited:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a big wicker basket in my hall and with my last novel, the rejection letters got shoved unceremoniously down the back of it, then I would eat lots of things that weren't good for me. The first few really stung, then in the middle I got pretty used to it and almost resigned to the fact that I sucked and rejections were therefore inevitable, then for the last few I went back to being mad and eating rubbish again.

What I have found though is that the 'what is the point, I can't write, I'll never be published' feeling goes away as soon as one of my characters demands attention.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I give my dartboard a good workout till it begs for mercy, and then take a long speedy bike ride rain or shine. That's about it for my coping strategies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to hang on to my rejections thinking how good of a laugh I'd have reading them after my book was published.

Now I just toss them in File #13. Why torture myself? These agents have moved on so why not do the same?

:Shrug:

WriterGirl2007

Black hole of writing...
Registered
Reaction score
I throw mine away immediately and think how glad I am that the rejection happened rather than something that could've been far worse. Hmm... I had a former boss call me into his/her office and pretty much hammer me for something I wrote, so a little form rejection is actually a nice change for me. ;)

(Don't get me wrong, I'm a great writer. This boss just had ... problems... LOL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.