Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Quit it, you're going to scare him away.

I'm sure he didn't join a writing site to get cooked and eaten.

*sees Soapy thinking about this*

*pounces on Umbrage with spork*

Umbrageofsnow

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know from a bunch of horror writers, cannibalism doesn't seem that surprising. At least you guys like your longpork with BBQ sauce. Like civilized folk.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Well said. :)

So, if I may be nosy here, are you working on a novel or is it mainly just short stories?

Umbrageofsnow

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I'm strictly short stories at the moment. Come this year's NaNoWriMo I'd venture as far as an overlong novella to be edited down later. But I have ambitious goals for my quantity of short stories. And I have a habit of keeping too many children in the oven at a time.

As to why short stories, well I could write you a dissertation on that, but it boils down to three points:
1. I read almost exclusively short stories lately; I just enjoy them more, and I prefer writers who are stronger at short lengths.
2. I believe horror works better at shorter lengths in general.
3. I have a habit of agonizing over every word, and while I might do a novel some day, I would rather get down from 19 extensive revisions and 3 full rewrites before I try to tackle editing something with that many words. Achievable goals are fun!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with just writing shorts. I do quite a bit of them myself, and I find I write horror better in short stories. Anything novel length will be my sf WIP or fantasy.

Let me know when you get some critiques and posts under your belt and put up something in SYW. If you're planning on doing that. :) We also have prompts every month if you'd like to get in on that. ;)

Umbrageofsnow

Registered
Reaction score
I find I write horror better in short stories.
You, Ramsey Campbell, Stephen King, Richard Matheson, William Hope Hodgson, and Clive Barker (sort of) IMHO. I think we're in good company with horror short fiction, and that isn't even mentioning the M.R. James' of the world who never ventured into novels at all.

Let me know when you get some critiques and posts under your belt and put up something in SYW. If you're planning on doing that. :) We also have prompts every month if you'd like to get in on that. ;)

Thanks! Yeah, I do intend to put something on SYW eventually, but I don't want to do it until I have improved a story to the point where I don't see anything else I know how to fix that is wrong with it. I don't want people pointing out problems I'm already aware of, and as I said, I have too many non-finished drafts that need editing, none are good enough for SYW anyway, so I should have plenty of time to critique other people first.

I may very well join in the prompts if they strike me, thanks! That is a good thing to have.

You guys do seem really nice, despite the cannibalistic tendencies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
We also have prompts every month if you'd like to get in on that. ;)

*snort*

Not helping... *stares at mangled prose*

I think we're in good company with horror short fiction, and that isn't even mentioning the M.R. James' of the world who never ventured into novels at all.

The thread of "essential horror" isn't as comprehensive as it might be, but is a good start - a lot of people here have a good grasp on what they need to read, so keep your eyes open for recommendations. There seems to be at least one or two Lovecraft references dropped into conversations every day, and if you are ever confused about my brand of pop-culture in-jokery you can ask. :)

Has anyone here actually finished their prompt for this month, or is my half-completed thing among good company?

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For Boston's Elements of Horror one? Or is there another horror prompt this month, too?

I've got mine for the Van Helsing/info dump moment. I just have to post it.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The info-dump one is taking an incredible amount of energy, which added to the erotica short, the edits on the secret agent strands (I'm refusing to call it a novel ATM), and the other bits and pieces, writing these prompts really isn't helping me find time to relax. And there is another blog chain fast approaching, which I should get involved in...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The info-dump one is taking an incredible amount of energy, which added to the erotica short, the edits on the secret agent strands (I'm refusing to call it a novel ATM), and the other bits and pieces, writing these prompts really isn't helping me find time to relax. And there is another blog chain fast approaching, which I should get involved in...
Well, skip it if it's giving you grief. :rolleyes: :tongue

You know you can use something you've already written, you don't have to pen something new. I didn't.

The whole point is to just explore the element.

And I've been thinking...even if *you* don't need help with the element, sometimes it's helpful for others (especially less experienced writers) to see it in play, and see what others have to say about its strengths and weaknesses. :Shrug:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I like playing along. Reusing something already written seems cheating somehow (for me, so no criticism of those doing just that), but... So much other material to write. *sigh*

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like playing along. Reusing something already written seems cheating somehow (for me, so no criticism of those doing just that), but... So much other material to write. *sigh*
Well, since I sort of created the overarching Elements Challenge, I'm saying it's not cheating. :tongue

Everyone has permission to use something old.

Which means you're not off the hook then. :whip:*

* unless your really don't want to, because I'm not very good at putting pressure on people. :D

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I have a vice in the garage.

It's great for applying pressure.

Yanno, for holding things still.

Like for wood working and stuff.

*blinks*

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
You keep yours in the garage?

Is there any way I can respond to that Q without learning anything which is going to make me feel the need to rush off and down a bottle of brain bleach? Probably not, but since I'm here...

Where do you suggest the correct place to keep one is?

And please, no details.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. That was slightly less worrying than the answer I had in my head...

This is, after all, the Hounds thread. Anything is possible here.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm playing around with my monster today. (no eyebleach, I swear, I mean on paper in a story.)

And I'm wondering what would it be like for him to go the first part of his life not knowing he's a monster, then at the onset of puberty he is hit with it--Vampire-like cravings.

With no monster-mentor, what would that be like? Would he be pissed, too? In addition to being sick and trying to figure out what the cravings are all about? Where would he go to figure out what was happening to him? Pre-Internet. The library? The streets?

It's not like he was bitten, or turned or anything. There is no one around that is responsible for "making" him that he can blame or follow. It's more like it's just been dormant and then BAM the switch is flipped.

Anyone know of a book/movie that does this sorta storyline? I'm drawing a blank.

Best I can think of right now is the storyline from Supernatural with that female angel. :idea: There's got to be others.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Yes, mine's in the garage.

With the power tools.

And hammers and the pliers.

Besides, concrete floor makes for easy clean up for any messes that may crop up.

:Wha:

The kitchen?

Where you keep pie?

:Wha:

Status
Not open for further replies.