Important Solos

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Oh and I rented Happy Feet awhile back cuz I'm a sucker for baby animal animation. Anyway, listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0SX70u2Jg

I'm pretty sure it's voice-acting, adults singing high and aping baby pronunciation. Still, it's just adorable.

Yeah I'm a sucker. BTW it's In My Room by The Beach Boys(originally of course).

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the title song (the one I linked to is a different song) ... I love the way they did it, that's awesome!

Last edited:

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Oh then I gotta actually listen to soap opera acting? Oh alright. It's not so bad. Heck I watch Nip/Tuck. Not too good for daytime soaps I guess(ummm yeah but I outgrew them in 12th grade I thought).

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Oh it is good. Just had to fast forward past the speaking(tricky with just the slider but did it). I totally forgot this one. Saw the movie and forgot this song, weird. Good movie though. Good song too :).

Hey lookit! I think I know who has been digging through your trash Chunky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUoYDJDiY6U I'm so very tempted to comment "Chucky wants his spandex back!" but that would be a lie, now wouldn't it?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
*reads the last few posts, re-reads the title and wonders if the thread title got switched*

Anyway, here's a list of the 100 Greatest Guitar solos. It was released several years ago by Guitar World.

I don't agree with some of the placements, and I think they left a few great ones off.

What do you think?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a little sidetrack. :)

Some great solos on that list. I don't agree with some of the placements either (Money at #62?), but it's all so subjective. Guitar World tends to be a bit hard rock and metal-centric anyway. For example, I wouldn't put anything Slash played on a 100 best solos list. He's good, but not unique. I've heard a hundred bar band guitarists who could solo just as well.

As for important solos, I was thinking about the original point of this thread last night and realized that for me, Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry has to be one of the most important of all time. It set the standard for rock and roll electric guitar soloing. You should have to prove you can play that solo with reasonable competency before being allowed to call yourself a lead guitarist. ;)

Last edited:

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
It does say it's based on readers' votes. That should lend it some sort of democratic credence.

Of course if I had made the list based on personal tastes, it would be top heavy with SRV and Hendrix(more than it is even).

Even more of a personal note. I like that You Really Got Me is on the list. It's one of the easiest guitar solos to actually play and sound decent while playing.

My only problem with Yellow Ledbetter being on the list is that it sounds so much like Hendrix to me. But Devil Ledbetter assures me that's intentional, and she knows her Pearl Jam so trusting her.

Glad to see Stray Cat Strut made the list, even though it's not imho Brian Setzer's most impressive solo, at least he made the list. He's one of those great guitarists I keep leaving off of lists and can't figure why.

The list is very Rock heavy. I suppose that's a given based on the magazine's target demographic. But I'd be really happy if it had more blues and jazz. I mean; it says "Of All Time" and I can't find T-Bone Walker or Chuck Berry anywhere. Can't find Lenny Breau either. I'm sorry but he's so amazing. Huge influence on Tommy Emmanuel and just look at how even III squees over Tommy's playing.

T-Bone should be on the list. Chuck Berry said that he stole everything from T-Bone. Kieth Richards pretty much cops to being heavily influenced by Chuck, but Kieth's not alone. Gimme a bit to pick a solo, or at least an amazing riff. It's tough. But T-Bone's shooting straight to the top of my list, cuz almost every Rock and Roll guitarist is standing on the foundation he laid.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Get out of my brain Chunky!

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Just a little sidetrack. :)

Some great solos on that list. I don't agree with some of the placements either (Money at #62?), but it's all so subjective. Guitar World tends to be a bit hard rock and metal-centric anyway. For example, I wouldn't put anything Slash played on a 100 best solos list. He's good, but not unique. I've heard a hundred bar band guitarists who could solo just as well.

As for important solos, I was thinking about the original point of this thread last night and realized that for me, Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry has to be one of the most important of all time. It set the standard for rock and roll electric guitar soloing. You should have to prove you can play that solo with reasonable competency before being allowed to call yourself a lead guitarist. ;)

True dat about Johnny B Goode. That's what I meant by "important" solos. You just couldn't approach the guitar the same after hearing it for the first time. I still remember standing in Waxie Maxie's Record Store when I was 16 and just learning to play guitar and hearing Satch's Surfing With The Alien come over the sound system and being absolutely transfixed; absolutely transported. Same thing for the first time I heard Erruption or Pride and Joy or Walk This Way or Photograph. Those moments changed me forever.

Thanks for posting that top 100 list, Ferret. I could nit-pick some of it, but I think it's much more solid than most lists of its kind and they got most of the important ones "right".

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
That's evil. They sandwiched him between SRV and Hendrix. Of course he was invisible to me(I can't help it I'm blinded by the purple light).

Now I'm miffed because, and this is just my opinion, 11-13 should be higher up. One and November Rain should be lower. And that's from a dyed in the wool Slash fan. I'm a Bay Area kid so Metallica and Joe Satriani were inescapable growing up. But to be honest, those songs/solos should be lower.

Oh and am I seeing things? Santana only has one solo on the list? How the? Cuz like there are a whole bunch of guitarists who try to do what he does on Samba Pa Ti. They never capture his soul. When he plays all my nerve endings go all tingly. Samba Pa Ti could surely bump another solo off the list. Now to pick one. Okay I pick Yellow Ledbetter. Pearl Jam has a much more original solo on the list. So yeah I pick that one. With all the SRV and Hendrix represented Yellow Ledbetter looks funny on the list anyway.

Replace Yellow Ledbetter with Samba Pa Ti

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to see Stray Cat Strut made the list, even though it's not imho Brian Setzer's most impressive solo, at least he made the list. He's one of those great guitarists I keep leaving off of lists and can't figure why.
Setzer is a remarkable guitarist. The last band I was in before leaving the road was a rockabilly band during the 'Cats craze. Learning those songs gave me fits. I just could not get a real handle on it, though I managed well enough to get by. Once the rockabilly fad died down and we started doing more sixties stuff like the Hollies tune I linked to above, I was in heaven.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
I'm only slightly giddy to see Sultans of Swing made the list. It's another one that makes my nerve endings go all tingly.

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Setzer is a remarkable guitarist. The last band I was in before leaving the road was a rockabilly band during the 'Cats craze. Learning those songs gave me fits. I just could not get a real handle on it, though I managed well enough to get by. Once the rockabilly fad died down and we started doing more sixties stuff like the Hollies tune I linked to above, I was in heaven.

I'll bet it was the chicken/travis pickin' giving you the fits. That's stuff's a total brain teaser. Then you listen to Chet Atkins and fall over cuz you'll never be Chet, but you can try. Doggoneit you can try :D.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. I'm a straight pick man. That there usin' all five fingers on the strummin' hand is jes' weird. ;)

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for Devil to lay into me cuz I want Samba Pa Ti to bump off Yellow Ledbetter. Ah but these are my picks of course.

Oh weirder than using all five fingers is how Brian uses them. Other guys use a thumbpick, he tucks his regular pick into his middle two fingers, then picks with his thumb, first finger, and I do believe I've seen him using his pinky finger(PINKY!!!).

Sorry that last bit's from me trying to convince someone @ the forum where my guitar lessons are that "Pinky wants to rock". He's in a comfort zone I understand all too well, but the power of the pinky must be freed if he's to come close to capturing full on Hendrix. That's one of the latest lessons btw, how to get the Hendrix sound. I suck out loud, but I'm trying.