Been Gone for a Long Time, Reintroducing Myself

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
Well I'm not exactly a "newbie;" however, I have been gone from Absolute Write for a long time, so I kind of feel like I'm starting over again.

A bit about me: I'm an Iraq Veteran and still serving as a full-time Soldier with the Idaho Army National Guard (MOS: 19K4O - M1A1 Tank Crewman, Rank: Sergeant First Class (SFC) / E-7). I used to write for a couple of bodybuilding publications and then turned my attention to historical novels a few years ago.

I've self-published three books so far in a series called "Soldier of Rome - The Artorian Chronicles." They've met with what I would call modest success so far. My first book, "The Legionary" has sold roughly 7,000 copies so far. The second book, "The Sacrovir Revolt" has sold about 4,000. Given that I have had absolutely zero advertising and that I've read that self-published books sell maybe 75 to 100 copies in their life cycle (usually to the author's family and friends), I suppose those are decent numbers. My intent now is to try once again to get an agent interested in my work and see if I can get picked up by a more traditional publisher (and no, I'm not talking about PublishAmerica! LOL).

I recently started working on the fourth "Soldier of Rome" book while also working on a novel about the Polish stand against Nazi Germany in 1939. All too often when we read about WWII it is about the Western Front and almost always involving the Americans or British. We almost never hear about the Eastern Front (unless it's about Stalingrad) and Poland's contribution to the war is horribly underrated. We forget that they were "First to Fight," and in fact fielded the fourth largest Allied army in the war; only the British, American, and Russian armies being larger.

Specifically I am writing about the Battle of Wizna (which I think is pronounced "Vyzna"), which took place from 7-10 September 1939. It is often called "The Polish Thermopylae," although when you look at the actual numbers, the Poles were far more badly outnumbered than the Greeks were. The odds at Wizna were almost 60-to-1, with 720 Polish infantrymen facing over 42,000 Wehrmacht soldiers, who also had 350 tanks, plus artillery and air support. It is an incredible story of valor in the face of insurmountable odds. I guess I'm just a sucker for extreme underdog stories and tales of courage; though sadly the only such battle I have studied where the defenders actually won was the British stand at Rorkes Drift during the 1879 Anglo/Zulu War.

I do hope I'm not talking everyone's ear off, and I hope this finds everyone doing well.

James

Last edited:

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. Good luck.

Congratz on your books.....w00t!

YukonMike

Look! That's my book!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fwfr.com
Specifically I am writing about the Battle of Wizna (which I think is pronounced "Vyzna"), which took place from 7-10 September 1939. It is often called "The Polish Thermopylae," although when you look at the actual numbers, the Poles were far more badly outnumbered than the Greeks were. The odds at Wizna were almost 60-to-1, with 720 Polish infantrymen facing over 42,000 Wehrmacht soldiers, who also had 350 tanks, plus artillery and air support. It is an incredible story of valor in the face of insurmountable odds.
James

Welcome Army Grunt! I love war stories too. (I'm fascinated by the Battle of Agincourt)

I'd like to know how you sold so many copies of your self published book? Did you use your army connections?

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
Welcome Army Grunt! I love war stories too. (I'm fascinated by the Battle of Agincourt)

I'd like to know how you sold so many copies of your self published book? Did you use your army connections?

I too love reading about Agincourt. Besides the Shakespeare play, "Henry V," I also loved the movie version with Kenneth Branagh.

Honestly, I have no idea how I've sold as many copies as I have. My total Army connections that have actually bought books accounts for maybe a total of thirty copies of each. I guess people out there like Roman Legion books, or at least were fans of the movie "Gladiator."

Not to sound arrogant, but honestly what always left me scratching my head when I tried doing the agent route before (I submitted about 50 queries, had about a dozen follow up requests, then ultimate rejection) was never that they didn't like it. It was almost always, "There's no market for this kind of story." ???:Wha:??? A large percentage of my sales come from the U.K., which makes sense when you think about it. After all, that is part of their history.

Something else that's gotten my curiosity (and I hope someone can help me out with the answer to this) is my Amazon and Barnes & Noble sales rankings compared to books from well-known agents. For example, Kimberly Cameron is a well-respected and award winning agent. I got on her website and looked up all the authors she represents. I then took their books and bounced their sales rankings against mine on Amazon, Amazon U.K., and Barnes & Noble. I was honestly shocked to see that my sales rankings on every website were better than every single one of her authors. Granted, I must assume that those authors still sell more copies overall than I do, simply because I am certain they are carried in the traditional "brick and mortar" bookstore. As a self-published author my exposure in regular bookstores is limited.

Long story short (too late), I have no idea how my books have sold like they have. I wish I knew, because then I could improve upon it. Even with three books selling modestly well I still don't make remotely enough from royalties to pay my mortgage, so I'm still forced to keep my day job.

By the way, thanks for all the kind words and feedback! I look forward to gleaning as much information as I can, and helping others out in any way possible.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nice to meet you!

Cella

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back. Word of mouth can go a long way. Just look at Dawn Meeham and her "sixpack" blog.

Mark G

Author of Reborn to Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markgronwald.com
Welcome back, and that story sounds fascinating. The only things I've seen about the invasion of Poland were those old black-and-white TV shows that basically painted a picture of the Polish resistance as being futile and pathetic. They had Cavalry against tanks!!! Anyway, I would love to read about that battle, either fiction or non-fiction.

In fact, I was so excited I had to research it immediately (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wizna) :)

I always thought that the most impressive military victory of all time was the Siege of Alesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia), where Caesar and 80,000 Romans faced 6-to-1 odds fighting forces from both sides. Is that detailed in one of your books?

I think I saw a movie about Rorkes Drift ("Zulu" 1964 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/) Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorkes_drift). That was certainly impressive, but they kinda had a technological advantage in weaponry :)

Anyway, welcome!!!

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
Welcome back, and that story sounds fascinating. The only things I've seen about the invasion of Poland were those old black-and-white TV shows that basically painted a picture of the Polish resistance as being futile and pathetic. They had Cavalry against tanks!!! Anyway, I would love to read about that battle, either fiction or non-fiction.

In fact, I was so excited I had to research it immediately (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wizna) :)

I always thought that the most impressive military victory of all time was the Siege of Alesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia), where Caesar and 80,000 Romans faced 6-to-1 odds fighting forces from both sides. Is that detailed in one of your books?

I think I saw a movie about Rorkes Drift ("Zulu" 1964 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/) Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorkes_drift). That was certainly impressive, but they kinda had a technological advantage in weaponry :)

Anyway, welcome!!!

Thanks Mark!

"Zulu" is one of my all-time favorite movies, in spite of some of its historical inaccuracies. Alesia is something I wouldn't mind writing about, though if I do another Roman book after "The Artorian Chronicles" I am seriously thinking about doing one about the siege of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

I feel I should point out that the whole concept of Polish cavarly against German panzer tanks is pure fiction, even though that is what we were taught when I was in grade school. Sad to know that our school books in the U.S. put out false information that came from Nazi propoganda! The Polish cavalry were actually dragoons (mounted infantry) and were very effective at ambushing elements of the Wehrmacht infantry. The incident that led to the legend of cavalry against tanks came from when the Polish cavalry caught a battalion of German infantry off guard and cut them to pieces. Out of the trees came the panzers and the cavalry were savaged by machine gun fire. The survivors charged between the tanks in order to escape, leading the Nazi propogandists to declare that the brave (yet stupid) Poles had attacked the panzers with sabers and lances...even though the lance had been completely phased out by this time.

From all the research I have done, it is clear that Poland was overwhelmed by numbers and technology, not by superior soldiers. This is not a discredit to the Wehrmacht, but rather giving credit to the caliber of the Polish soldier of 1939. Remember too that Russia invaded Poland a couple weeks later and divided the country up with the Germans. Meanwhile the French had already betrayed Poland and allowed the Germans to invade with nothing but token resistance on their part. Britain was not in a position yet where they could do anything, and we in the U.S. would sit silent and idle for more than two years before becoming involved.