Trustworthy Small Publishers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathedral Goth

Registered
Reaction score
Finding absolutewrite has saved me a lot of dissapointment and a lot of work. Just when I think I've located a publisher that seems right for my work, I frequently (but not always) find here some serious caveats from the experienced and bruised. I feel like I'm running out of legitimate options. I had an agent who submitted to three publishers I would have never chosen and when they passed, my agent gave up on me (thankfully). The agency has been good for others, but turned out not to be good for me. Oh, well....

I write folklore-inspired horror--(though the novel I'm trying to sell could easily be labeled 'dark fantasy'). I consider it a novel-length Halloween story (borrowing heavily from Celtic folklore). The setting is contemporary.

I'd like to know what publishers some of you have found to be legit (and no, I won't say that anyone here 'sent me' if I choose to query any of the recommendations). Any recommendations?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Cathedral Goth said:
Finding absolutewrite has saved me a lot of dissapointment and a lot of work. Just when I think I've located a publisher that seems right for my work, I frequently (but not always) find here some serious caveats from the experienced and bruised. I feel like I'm running out of legitimate options. I had an agent who submitted to three publishers I would have never chosen and when they passed, my agent gave up on me (thankfully). The agency has been good for others, but turned out not to be good for me. Oh, well....

I write folklore-inspired horror--(though the novel I'm trying to sell could easily be labeled 'dark fantasy'). I consider it a novel-length Halloween story (borrowing heavily from Celtic folklore). The setting is contemporary.

I'd like to know what publishers some of you have found to be legit (and no, I won't say that anyone here 'sent me' if I choose to query any of the recommendations). Any recommendations?

An agent who gives up after three attempts is a lousy agent. Most publishers are legitimate, even the small ones. The way to check is to look at the books they've published, and where those books are available.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Alot of great information can be found on this board especially about less than great publishers who run scams... I like to call them the 'nasties'. Reading over that section I have learnt alot. :)

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you have doubts about anyone check out the Beware thread....

Jackie Coupe

Evil Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.witness-online.com
emeraldcite said:
Take your favorite horror writers off the shelf and see who published them.

Then, look them up on the web and see who published their other books.

what a quality idea, so say for King, you'd see a lot of new England Library, the earlier books like Carrie you suggest looking into maybe because it was one of his stepping stones., they are ground level rungs?

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
what a quality idea, so say for King, you'd see a lot of new England Library, the earlier books like Carrie you suggest looking into maybe because it was one of his stepping stones., they are ground level rungs?

If you are looking for trustworthy small presses, I wouldn't suggest jotting down writers like King and Koontz quite yet. Most of their work has been through large publishing conglomerates.

Go to your library and scour the shelves for horror and see who's printing and getting the work on the shelves.

Writers that come to mind who come up through some smaller presses like Leisure (and occasionally other small, specialty presses) are Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene, Richard Laymon, Sarah Pinborough, Graham Masterton, Tom Piccirilli, Ramsey Campbell, Tim Lebbon, etc.

There's more to horror than King and Koontz, quite a few of them very entertaining. Go to their websites, if they have one, and go through their bibliographies. You'll be able to track some of the presses down from there.

Then, when you find some that you haven't heard of, stop by here and ask. Basically, if it can get things on a shelf in a bookstore, it's a good place to submit.

ETA: I'm sure with a little research that you could uncover some smaller press materials by say King. He does some work with Cemetary Dance. Options are out there for horror. There aren't a ton of options, but it's not a dead genre (pardon the pun) either.

Status
Not open for further replies.