Small Astronomical Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings :),

Anybody out there really knowlegable of/interested in small astronomical bodies (natural satellites, asteroids, planetoids, etc)? If so, I'd really like to dialogue with you about the use of them in a sci fi, somewhat space operatic setting.

I'd also be interested in talking to someone very familiar with Celestia or another similar program.

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I've used Celestia. It's interesting, but with a somewhat arcane interface. I used it to project lunar phases a millenia hence--wasn't too great. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the Celestia database isn't all that up-to-date for small, near-Earth objects.

I think somewhere on NASA's website (nasa.gov) there is a catalogue (or link to one) of operational satellites and space junk (dead satellites and other left-overs from low Earth orbit activities).

Wikipedia has a pretty good compilation of articles on asteroids and planetoids. Beginning with any similar look-up request and then following any interesting link in Wikipedia brings you to a plethora of information on such things.

In the last couple of years I've read quite a few short stories about human activity on small planetoids in Analog and Asimov's. Most of these I would term "space opera."

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.