Wedding Etiquette or Something Along Those Lines

sugarhit

Writing a novel on my lunchbreaks
Registered
Reaction score
That is super tacky. I think it's a gift grab.

My mother in law (who didn't pay a penny of anything towards our wedding) wanted us to "pack 'em in at the church then only invite a few to the reception". I decided to have a smaller wedding where everyone would be a part of our day.

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Well this was a terrifying read.
You guys take your wedding receptions very seriously.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well this was a terrifying read.
You guys take your wedding receptions very seriously.

YES, yes we do! :D

(Weddings and Funerals are HUGE occasions in the South)

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping into say that the best wedding I've ever been to was when one of my college friends married his partner of five years on Valentine's Day this year.

It was held at the clubhouse of residential community. There were no more than 50 guests. The grooms came in and had a traditional hand-fasting ceremony that lasted twenty minutes, tops. After the kiss and presentation of the grooms, they said "Okay, everyone eat, drink, and be merry."

The food was incredible. There was free booze and karaoke. The reception was held at the wedding site, so it was easy enough for everything--pictures, greeting of the guests, etc.--to happen simultaneously. The guests weren't held up waiting on the grooms and there was little formal ceremony after the actual exchanging of the vows.

Again, there was free booze.

That's how you do it.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I was invited to a post-reception party by people who made no attempt to pretend it wasn't the second-tier event. Granted, my relationship with the bride only qualifies me for second-tier status at most, but they could have made the effort.

(I was on the point of choosing to overlook this when the invitees were sent instructions about how to reimburse the groom for the costs incurred entertaining us, whereupon I discovered a previous engagement that regrettably left me unable to attend.)