Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
My three humorous essays that have been paid for and published were all on the longer side, around 1,500 to 3,000 words.

Like I said, I search for the soul of wit. ;)

David Sedaris' pieces are usually longer, too. It just depends on the market.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Oh, No...It's a GUEST LECTURER, Mr. Bill!

To Blog or Not to Blog, Part 1

Professor Tex, in her generous wisdom, has asked me to guest lecture on a subject only semi-near and not all that dear to my heart -- blogging. Since the topic requires more in-depth discussion than one might realize, and since I'm notoriously long-winded, we're going to break this up into a couple of sessions.

Blogs -- the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

For the possibly seven people out there who don't know what a blog is, there are a variety of different definitions, but this one is my favorite: A blog is something you should do if you want to be published. :D

Blogs are online forums where one person discusses something and others can come on and make a comment. Five years ago you rarely heard the term. Today, everyone and their grandmother has a blog. But should you?

Before I answer that (heh), let's go over a few different types of blogs.

1. The professional blog -- our own Nancy has a spiffy professional blog. It's filled with interesting articles about her profession (mental health), and more than one person contributes information. Blogs such as this provide both information and education, as well as a safe place for people to ask questions or discuss their own situations.

2. The fun blog -- also known as the stream-of-consciousness blog. Your teenagers, parents, and friends have these. Sadly, many of you have this, too. Why sadly? Because if you're on this thread, you're here to improve your writing and chances of publication, and the fun/stream-of-consciousness blog may not be the best way to do that. However, it IS a great way to keep in touch with your extended circle, and to share with everyone how much coffee you drank in the morning and why you're switching to tea this afternoon. It's also a way to ensure you write something on at least a semi-regular basis that someone other than yourself might, possibly, read. Of course, while an online diary sounds keen, a handwritten one is less likely to be pasted across the world in about fifteen seconds. Think about it -- do you really WANT everyone in the known universe to know exactly how much milk you put in the Cap'n Crunch this morning?

3. The entertainer's blog -- this is the blog for people more famous than little old you or little old me. Entertainers can get away with a lot more, or a lot less, than the rest of us. These are fun for fans and those into celebrity culture, but only some should be emulated, barring one of our students actually being Justin Timberlake with a really clever screen name. (In which case, Justin, bring the sexy back and endorse my book!)

4. The columnist's blog -- other than Nancy's blog (hey, gotta support my homies!), these are normally the best done, and you can learn a lot from them. These are professional writers who cover entertainment, gossip, movies, popular culture, politics, etc. They write at least weekly, usually daily, and they gather a huge following. These are the blogs our baby blogs wish to be when they grow up.

5. The writer's blog -- ah, finally, what you all care about. This is the blog you, the want-to-be-published and/or not-yet-published-enough-to-be-a-name-brand author are being told to have up, have active, and have tons of visitors writing 'you rock!' comments on daily. Best of luck with that...but why? Why do you need it and why is it hard to do well?

Professional authors have blogs. They use them to advise their fan base of upcoming releases, give advice to other writers, and create buzz around them and their books. Some will test ideas or post "teasers" to get folks interested in buying upcoming or currently released books. They also use them to network.

But why should you, the want-to-be-published and/or not-yet-published-enough-to-be-a-name-brand author do one? And if you do build it, will they really come?

Find out, next lecture! Same Bat time, same Bat channel. :D

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Raises hand...how do we get a blog if and I guess I'm one of those seven people, if we don't have one?

Why would we give away for free what we are trying to create to get paid for writing? Why would we pay a server to post our stuff when we're wanting to be paid for the priviledge of someone else want to link our stuff?

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Raises hand...how do we get a blog if and I guess I'm one of those seven people, if we don't have one?

Why would we give away for free what we are trying to create to get paid for writing? Why would we pay a server to post our stuff when we're wanting to be paid for the priviledge of someone else want to link our stuff?
What a wonderful lead in to the next lecture! Coming, uh, tomorrow. Because as all good bloggers know -- ONE good post a day that makes them want to come back for more is better than twelve in a row that make everyone long for you to shut up. :D

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
There are always other means to promote yourself but what if, if you're like me, you just can't be arsed to have a blog? The closest to a blog I have is the one that came with my MySpace and I hardly use that one. The way I see it, like fanfiction in the Harry Potter world, blogs get lost in the miriade of blogs that exist. I don't read blogs. If I did, it would probably be Keith Olbermann's and that's it. I'm scrounging for enough time in my day as it is, why should I put forth effort in a blogging world that's just going to get lost in the mix with some emo noobs that complain about the letter q? Is there a place specific for writers, something outside of say LiveJournal where a blog will just drown with the rest? It's going to take some serious convincing to get me to get a blog...but I'm willing to listen!

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Oh No...She's Still Talking! Guest Lecture Series

To Blog or Not to Blog, Part 2

Since y'all seem to be bringing on the questions, let's answer some of them, shall we?

Blogwarts, A History…of Sorts

Why should you blog, particularly when you want to be paid for your writing?

According to the best advice out there -- from folks on AW, leadership in the RWA (Romance Writers of America), a variety of notable agents, and others who would, truly, know -- blogs are a good way to build up a fan base, even before you have fans. The well-done ones also show agents who might search on you that you're aware of self-promotion and why it is good, and if you've actually attracted a following, you can point to them as potential buyers of your books.

The bottom line? Blogs, like websites, are a marketing tool. And marketing sells. If you don’t believe me, consider that Coca-Cola is the best-known brand in the world. Yet you see an ad or display for Coke products every time you turn around. Why? Because Coca-Cola wishes to STAY the most recognized brand in the world.

Blogs, unlike websites, are a lot easier to use. There are free sites available where all you have to do is sign up and start writing. The hard, behind-the-scenes stuff is taken care of BY the blog sites themselves.

Some popular blogging sites where you can create your blog for free -- and please note that many of these are also considered friend and social sites and note also that this is in now way a complete list -- in no particular order:
-- MySpace
-- Gather
-- Facebook
-- LiveJournal
-- Blogger / BlogSpot
-- BlogFlux

But blogging can be a chicken and egg kind of deal. And more and more, if you post it on the internet where anyone can read it, it's considered "published" and you can have trouble selling it. Not in all cases, but this is becoming more common, as epublishing is becoming more prevalent. There are ways to protect yourself -- similarly to how our own Share Your Work forum functions, if you use a blog site that allows password protection for anything that you post which you one day hope to sell, you’ll be covered for most (though not all) agents and publications as having NOT already published the piece. If you don’t have a password protection option, you will want to consider the ramifications of what you post, and you’ll also want to consider the benefits of the “teaser”, so that you only have an excerpt up that would help drive to a published piece, as opposed to being the published piece.

Many people have more than one blog, which is great, but compounds the issue of what are you talking about ON this or these blogs?

*Note: If you write in a variety of genres and plan to use pen names, then you should plan on a blog per pen name. Yes, really. Because if you, as an example, write humor and erotica, you may not have a lot of "crossover" in your readership, and you also may not have a lot of crossover in your agent and publication options.

And therein lies the key. If your goal with blogging is to have it support your writing, to support your brand, then you need to tune in to the next session, where we’ll discuss the why’s, what’s and wherefore’s of what you should consider putting up there.

Until then, let’s be careful out there.

Homework: Check out three of the blog sites listed and compare them. Which one did you like best and why? Which one least and why? If you had to choose a blog spot tomorrow, which one would you go with? If you already have a blog, which one of the others will you add on to your blogging network next and why?

Teacher's Personal Note: I have membership in MySpace, Gather, Facebook and LiveJournal, but I tend to truly blog at LiveJournal, because it's very focused on writers (many AW members are also active on LJ).

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Ok, considering I'm at work at the moment, all of those sites are blocked for me so just humor me here for a moment. What, exactly, do you write in a blog when it's a writer's blog? The trials and tribulations of writing, editing, publishing, what you're working on, etc.? The thing with me, 90% of my writing is done after the 110% of procrastination I do. Who wants to hear how I twiddled by thumbs and surfed the web and told myself, 'I'll get it to later?' Granted it's a huge pain in the ass to write while the dog is slapping me with his chew so that's another distraction.

The big thing is, and what I'm really hung up on, who wants to hear me talk about me? Everyone's a voyeurist in the blogging world and equally wants to be spied upon but what makes my day by day trials of writing interesting? Or is that the point of a writing blog is to make them interesting? Do you have any links that I could visit of writing blogs so I can get an idea of what, exactly it is because I still think blogging is a meaningless meandering means for people to whore themselves to the internet world in order for some kind of infantile fame, however minute. Writers from the days of yore never had blogs (nor knew what the hell one was) and they sufficed. I just don't want it to be just another internet diary that I post because I think people will give a shit about what goes on in my really mundane day. Is that where the creative license comes in? Help!

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Ok, considering I'm at work at the moment, all of those sites are blocked for me so just humor me here for a moment. What, exactly, do you write in a blog when it's a writer's blog? The trials and tribulations of writing, editing, publishing, what you're working on, etc.? The thing with me, 90% of my writing is done after the 110% of procrastination I do. Who wants to hear how I twiddled by thumbs and surfed the web and told myself, 'I'll get it to later?' Granted it's a huge pain in the ass to write while the dog is slapping me with his chew so that's another distraction.

The big thing is, and what I'm really hung up on, who wants to hear me talk about me? Everyone's a voyeurist in the blogging world and equally wants to be spied upon but what makes my day by day trials of writing interesting? Or is that the point of a writing blog is to make them interesting? Do you have any links that I could visit of writing blogs so I can get an idea of what, exactly it is because I still think blogging is a meaningless meandering means for people to whore themselves to the internet world in order for some kind of infantile fame, however minute. Writers from the days of yore never had blogs (nor knew what the hell one was) and they sufficed. I just don't want it to be just another internet diary that I post because I think people will give a shit about what goes on in my really mundane day. Is that where the creative license comes in? Help!
Official Note: I'm not paying Donna to do lead-ins for each subsequent lesson, I swear! :D

However, to ensure I don't innundate with my "wisdom" (HA, even I can't keep a straight face typing that), here are some blogs to take a look at -- all are findable via a Google search, but I've included links where I can find them:
--Miss Snark (shed a tear, it's gone dark, but the archives remain): http://www.misssnark.blogspot.com/
--Dave Barry's blog: http://blogs.herald.com/dave_barrys_blog/
--Jennifer on Writing (one of the most prolific and awesome writers in my RWA chapter): http://www.jenniferonwriting.blogspot.com/
--Brit's Blog (another prolific and awesome writer in my chapter): http://britblaise.com/blog/?p=22_
--Erin Grady's Blog (yet ANOTHER one from my chapter): http://eringrady.blogspot.com/
--AV Blog: http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/flops
--SlushPile.net: http://www.slushpile.net/index.php/2...ished-authors/
--*cough* My blog: http://jeannetgc.livejournal.com/

Why is the largest percentage made up of Romance writer blogs? Because romance writers, more than writers in almost any other genre, understand and "get" why self-promotion is the key to success. If you want to do a good blog, find some Romance blogs and do the sincerest form of flattery.

Teacher's Note: These are blogs that I, personally, like. I'm not endorsing them, other than to say I think they're great, and I also didn't ask permission to send you to these blogs. But I think the bloggers will be okay with it. :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Wait...so that wire transfer from the Caymens was for...

Thanks for the links. I'll certainly check those out!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Ok, I have to post this. I wrote this in the "Vampires are out?" thread in horror and good lord I've stumbled upon something...sorry to derail the thread momentarily but it's snarky in nature...

They were human at one point but they're not anymore. They sold their souls in order to live forever. I would think there's a bigger price to pay than some elongated incisors and a sensitivity to light. Of course, in my dreams I much prefer the seductive fang-boys (come on, I'm not about to dream about some ugly, gnarly dude) but in writing, I like 'em primal, animalistic. I just wrote a short (in the horror SYW no less) that has them human but they exist off of sex and blood and when they transform they more closely resemble wolves than anything else. I like to write them about the monsters they are. You don't see fangirls wooing over Frankenstein's monster, do you?

OMG, did you see his bolts? OMG, they're sooooooooo sexy. OMG did he just grunt at me?! *squee* He's lumbering this way!!!

Oh my god I've just created a parody...

Fangirls of Frankenstein...what have I done???

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Speaking of Painfully Funny and a Glorious Evening...But Not In This Post

To Blog or Not To Blog, Part 3

Or, as I like to call it, Part 1 of the two-part answer to one of Donna's many questions. :D

Gotta Blog, Gotta Sing, Gotta Blog

So, you want to be a blogger. You’re ready to run with the big blog dogs, if only you knew how to do it. You’ve decided that if it’s good enough for name authors, it’s good enough for you. You’re ready to show the world how good your writing IS.

In that case, you need a blog that shows said writing off, not that shares what you wore today, why you don't like your boss, and why you think all agents and editors are out to get you (more on this later).

Until you have something published to talk about, you should consider what you want your blog to ultimately support. Are you going for a regular column, or to become the next David Sedaris? If so, then your blog should reflect that -- it should be funny. If you're writing romances, then your blog should reflect some sort of love for that genre, as well as some information -- perhaps the books you've just read that you thought were fab, describing a meeting with a favored author, etc. Same holds for other genres -- your blog should support what it is you write.

I'm now going to take the assumption that if you're here, you're at least attempting to write Humor, so I'm going to focus the rest of my remarks on Humor, only. But it applies to all genres, with the appropriate genre twists.

If you're going to blog, then your blog must first and foremost be FUNNY. It should reflect your voice, the voice you use when writing humor. Let me be brutally honest, like your mother should be but isn't -- a blog about whatever happens to be on your mind at the moment is unlikely to be funny. It's also unlikely to be interesting.

Which is the next key. As your readership grows -- that IS the idea, remember -- you want to have more than your mom and the people whose blogs you visit regularly showing up and posting. You want posts from people you've never heard of, don't know, and potentially will never meet. You want to build an active readership, to have people who check out your blog because it's YOUR blog and they WANT something new from YOU.

No one, not even your mother, wants to hear about that weird dream you had last night that didn't have a start, or an end, or anything even fun or funny happen in it, and you can barely remember it, but...

Seriously. Do. Not. Do. This. Ever. Again. Yes, I'm talking to you. All of you.

A blog is, ultimately and for real, a MARKETING TOOL. Yes, yes it IS. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again -- it's a tool you control, a weapon you wield, in the vast marketplace of consumer choices. You're better without a blog than with a bad one, because, as Ben Affleck has learned and Britney Spears is learning, there IS such a thing as too much publicity. If you, as a WRITER, present yourself as unprofessional, inane, and, worst of all, boring, then you cannot use your blog to create readership.

Your blog should drive readers to your published humor pieces, and vice versa. If you have an active blog that is actually funny, aka supporting your humor writing, then you should have it listed in every author bio you have. And you should keep it updated.

Yes, updating a blog is work and it's writing and it takes time from the "real stuff". However, if you're using it as a marketing tool (aka, as you should be), then you need to ensure that it's updated more than once every few months or so.

But, how to do this? And do it without depleting your entire store of saleable humor pieces?

Tune in next time, when we finally get to the entire point of this lecture series. We think.

Homework: Find a blog of a famous author you particularly like. (Yes, part of the homework is YOU finding it, not me finding it for you.) Study it and see what it is they do. Now find a blog of an author who isn’t famous, someone who’s mid-list or brand new. See how they do it. Compare and contrast.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
More questions! Shocked? I thought so. Ok, so obviously I'm going to have some humor in mine but I also write stuff that's on the darker side. Since I'm just breaking into the whole "real" writing world and I haven't found my niche yet but I have a could of areas that I do like to write, how would I tailor said blog to cater to those aspects of my writing? Can a blog be both humorous and support my dark stuff as well? Please don't tell me I need two blogs...(this is just the short story stuff at the moment since no novel I'm working on is anywhere ready to be seen my unknown eyes).

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
More questions! Shocked? I thought so. Ok, so obviously I'm going to have some humor in mine but I also write stuff that's on the darker side. Since I'm just breaking into the whole "real" writing world and I haven't found my niche yet but I have a could of areas that I do like to write, how would I tailor said blog to cater to those aspects of my writing? Can a blog be both humorous and support my dark stuff as well? Please don't tell me I need two blogs...(this is just the short story stuff at the moment since no novel I'm working on is anywhere ready to be seen my unknown eyes).
It's eerie...I swear to the gods that I am not slipping Donna cues for the next lecture.

And, I mentioned the answer you don't want to hear in Lecture 2. Yes, you need to have more than one. HOWEVER, this is somewhat dependent upon pen names. If you're comfortable selling humor and dark shorts under one name (and there are very good reasons both to and not to do this), then you only need one blog, you'll just need to have posts clearly marked as "funny" or "dark". However, my personal feeling is that if you want to be a successful published author, you do whatever it takes in order to grow your fan base. And that may indeed mean more than one blog.

Last edited:

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
It's eerie...I swear to the gods that I am not slipping Donna cues for the next lecture.

My gods are mocking your gods...for your gods are slipping mine notes in class...I didn't know you wore pink underwear...with sheep on them...you may want to talk to your gods about that...

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
My gods are mocking your gods...for your gods are slipping mine notes in class...I didn't know you wore pink underwear...with sheep on them...you may want to talk to your gods about that...
Hey, my sheep are having a good time on my undies, okay?

Geez...no idea we had "sheepists" here...

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Hey, after seeing the previews for Black Sheep you'd be a sheepist too...I still can't tell if that movie is supposed to be humorous or not...ok, after the bottle of mint sauce burns the weresheep like holy water, I'm convinced it's a spoof, a step more serious than Shaun of the dead except I don't know if they're trying to be...but I warn you, there's man/sheep relations...*shudder*...still think I'm joking? Click the freakin' link!

Ok, I'm doing my homework! I found this very funny blog. I have no idea who this is but she's funny. I've also registered on blogspot, I now have my own blog, plus a pseudonym. I'm improving...gotta start somewhere...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.