Status
Not open for further replies.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Recently finished Passion by Lauren Kate and have now started Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

This thread (& others like it in our YA section of AW) is a great place to pick up recommendations. (If only there were more hours in the day to fit in the reading along with the writing!)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Used bookstore was having a blowout sale - hardbacks for $1.00. So, I bought:

WHITE CAT, by Holly Black
THE MURDER OF BINDY MACKENZIE, by Jaclyn Moriarty
THE UNWRITTEN RULE, by Elizabeth Scott
THE SIX RULES OF MAYBE, by Deb Caletti
HUSH, HUSH, by Becca Fitzpatrick (and no, I'm not really expecting to like this one... but it was only a dollar!)

So, which one should I read first?

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score

HUSH, HUSH, by Becca Fitzpatrick (and no, I'm not really expecting to like this one... but it was only a dollar!)

Loved Bindy!!!

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I just finished A Need so Beautiful by Suzanne Collins. I loved it. It took me a few pages to get used to first person present tense. I did guess one part of the surprise ending but it in no way distracted from my enjoyment of the book. I'm looking forward to the sequel, A Want so Wicked, next year.

I'm also finishing up Passion by Lauren Kate. I thought this was a trilogy and Passion was the last book. It's not. It sort of reminded me of the old TV show, The Time Tunnel. I am so far enjoying the book but disappointed with the lack of resolution to the entire story at this point. I'm two chapters from the end.

It's by Suzanne Young! (not Collins) And it is an awesome awesome awesome read. Everyone should go buy a copy or two.

GLaDOScore

Registered
Reaction score
They're both well-written, but so very different from each other. It's hard to believe they're by the same author.

It's true! I love authors who can write across genres so well--very admirable. :D

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score

Definitely White Cat.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished BALLAD by Maggie Stiefvater, which I was enjoying right up until the final quarter because that's when it started referring back heavily to LAMENT, which I haven't read.

Have now started DIARY OF A WIMPY VAMPIRE by Tim Collins, which is a bit of a mickey take of TWILIGHT and DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and which has got me giggling.

MM

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti. I had picked it up because the cover reminded me of Sarah Dessen books, and it is very SD-like. Slow beginning, lots of backstory, then it picks up a bit. But it didn't have the engaging characters that I typically find in SD books, and I can't say that I was really taken in by the story though some of the prose was really nice. I'm not sure if I'll look into any others by her.

Going to start Revolution next.

Lazara

Registered
Reaction score
I got Graceling by Kristin Cashore today so it will be tomorrows reading

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
That one and the first of his Joe Ledger zombie books are sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read, too. I met the author at a conference in May and he was really cool, here's hoping the books are, too. :)

Currently a bit stuck on what to read next. Guess I'll be browsing my Kindle and see what pops up :)

I met him at BEA last year and picked up this plus two of his Joe Ledger books. Dust & Decay is coming out in a couple of months and I have the ARC so I figured I'd get started on this one so I can read it. I'm really liking it. It's less about zombies and more about humans adapting to them. Despite the snark (which I love), it's a pretty deep book. People really are fighting themselves more than the zombies. It's very telling. I'd recommend it at this point and I'm only about halfway through it.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished an ARC of Sweet Venom. So. much. fun.

SarahWesten

Zombies were people too...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
queserasarahwrites.blogspot.com
Finished XVI, which was actually a very fun read. The author could have done a little more explaining of the world but I still liked it.
Reading The Glass Demon and Born at Midnight now.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Off Season, which I didn't like as much as Front and Center (I'm aware that I'm reading these backwards, lol).

Next I will probably be reading Forest Born, the latest in the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale. The other two of these series that I have are in audiobook form, and I kept waiting, but this one hadn't been made an audiobook by the time I found it at a closing Borders, so I picked it up. But I just relistened to the earlier books, so now I'm ready to read this one.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm rereading Divergent by Veronica Roth. I read it the week it came out...but wanted to read it again to thoroughly digest it. (-: Love the book.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
The Branding by my awesome student, Micaela Wendell! Also, I got Pete Hautman's Rash on the summer reading list for my school and get to lead a discussion group on it in August. :D

jemacba

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeremybatesbooks.blogspot.com
i dont read YA much... but i read something a while ago i loved... it was called THE IRON DRAGON'S DAUGHTER
anyone aware of this book? would it be considered YA?

Status
Not open for further replies.