Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Kie:

Good thread. Thanks for starting this discussion.

The concept of phonological parallelism is, I think, something the best poets do, whether or not they articulate it by that name. I've been aware of it since pretty much the beginning of my serious poetry writing (though I'm not, by stating that, saying I'm among the best), and have sometimes used it to good effect. The idea of mono-, di-, and polysyllabic is something I never thought of. It makes sense; I shall have to ponder it more.

I offer as an example of this a cinquain I wrote.

Daybreak
Arise.
Clear the clutter.
Shake off your sleepiness.
Adventure awaits all who claim
today.

One thing this has going for it is the circling around and repeating a sound from an earlier line in a later line. Lines 1 and 4 have the "a", lines 2 and 4 have the "cl" and "r". Line 3 stands alone with the "s" alliteration, though if joined with L1 has the "s" assonence.

I've always been a fan of wrapping back around at the end of the poem to something that came before.

But this isn't free verse: it's a cinquain, so it has lineal structure and meter (iambic). It contains no images and little metaphor. So it needs other poetic devices to carry the day. Hopefully the structure, meter, and sonic devices suffice.

Best regards, and sorry to be late to the party,
NDG

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Good thread. Thanks for starting this discussion.

The concept of phonological parallelism is, I think, something the best poets do, whether or not they articulate it by that name. I've been aware of it since pretty much the beginning of my serious poetry writing (though I'm not, by stating that, saying I'm among the best), and have sometimes used it to good effect.

That's right, I've always been aware of sonic interactions, as I believe most poets are, whatever they choose to call what they note or deploy. But it is interesting to know that there is a theory, or at least a defined practice surrounding it -- because that gives prevalence to experimentation and allows the further exploration of methodologies and ultimately something to discuss. Layering is very important to me in this sense and something which has become second nature, and something to fine tune afterwards.

The idea of mono-, di-, and polysyllabic is something I never thought of. It makes sense; I shall have to ponder it more.

This is the point where the theory kicks in, where the nature of natural ability starts to take to training to realize the phonic quality of words -- what in many formal pieces has led to the initial magic that drives the verse. You see this expansive understanding primarily in classical poetry - and especially in trochaic verse which would otherwise be incredibly difficult to be consistent without it. Think here Poe's The Raven in which the poly- (including di-) and monosyllabic nature of in-line schemes and systems, partialisms and end-resonance work to maintain the meter and pace. Also, Shakespeare when writing the parts of mystical and magical beings commonly used trochaic meter to give an immediate alien and un-human quality to their voices, without attention to this concept that would have been impossible. That's not to say that the only extension for higher parallel phonology theory (as it is academically known) is trochaic verse. There are many other uses and places for it in poetry, in both formal verse and free verse. The latter of which can benefit greatly as the loss of recurrent/established meter can become invisible through such device.

I offer as an example of this a cinquain I wrote.

Daybreak
Arise.
Clear the clutter.
Shake off your sleepiness.
Adventure awaits all who claim
today.

One thing this has going for it is the circling around and repeating a sound from an earlier line in a later line. Lines 1 and 4 have the "a", lines 2 and 4 have the "cl" and "r". Line 3 stands alone with the "s" alliteration, though if joined with L1 has the "s" assonance.

I've always been a fan of wrapping back around at the end of the poem to something that came before.

Your use of parallelisms is exactly what I was talking about when I began to discuss partials and mixing up systems and schemes - it's more common in poetry for alliteration to be echoed as consonance (or vice versa) than it is to have a steady and continuous string of either, yet most beginners and modern poets looking to try their hand at formal verse opt for the latter.

But this isn't free verse: it's a cinquain, so it has lineal structure and meter (iambic). It contains no images and little metaphor. So it needs other poetic devices to carry the day. Hopefully the structure, meter, and sonic devices suffice.

Poetry doesn't require to use exclusively imagery by way way of direct reference, imagery can also be present in the form of phonic resonance. If I write a poem about mail using the right sonics to give a chug-a-chug quality - it's not unthinkable that the poem conjures an image of a postal train...

I didn't start this thread solely for free verse - it's a resource for poets of all 'persuasions' (;)). Thing is, phonology in depth is a core element in most classical and formal metric verse, but something less common in contemporary verse and free verse, why? There is no rule to say that the irregularity of free verse excludes the use of phonological parallelisms, in fact, the irregularity would/could/should offer plenty of space for enhancement through it and because of it.

Which classification would my poem fit into, if it would fit into any at all?

my fart

it's an innocuous innuendo,
a private joke imposed,
inoberservant inoculation
inoffensive, I suppose,
inordinate and inodorous;
inopportune for your nose

Sorry I missed you post, Kid. It's not so much about classification as it about recognizing where phonic quality suits or how it works/enhances etc. For example you have a recurring A rhyme as your end-line parallelism served by way of partials and fulls. You then also have a B rhyme that features once in-line and then takes the place of where the reader expects the A rhyme and is pleasantly surprised, the similarity between the 2 rhymes makes the surprise all the more juicy. The polysyllabic alliteration is also a nice treat - but it is limited, hence the interesting spread of partial consonance to close each occurrence, yet despite the mixed consonance of it, you have a recurring start-line rhyme. Heavy layering, but fun.

Last edited:

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Thank you for that information.

Not the greatest of poems but one where I was intuitively playing with something I wanted to "tease out", not knowing what it was that I wanted.

I appreciate your teaching; lots to munch on!

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
(I'm still here, still reading, musing, learning)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Been meaning to do this for a while. Here's a prose poem that's never been critiqued. I'll try to post there too. But I'm curious about what I've done without realizing.

July’s Child

Born into the searing heat of sun unaware of what’s to come. You never understood what heat could do.

They took your heat out on you. Burned it on your arm with cigarettes. But still you chose to shine. They bid you smile, that’s why.

You grew, fed by all that warmth, until the cigarette stung your lungs. You were burning up inside.

What will you do with your fire? Smoke streaming from your soul. Turn your heat on me, your child, born in July?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about what I've done without realizing.

Let me break it down for you. The line-breaks are for theoretic expansion as I can't really approach much of the rhyming without a structure (but for the record, I'd like to say you could use them to make this less prose poem and work to the breaks metrically... should you feel the poem over the prose).

As prose it has a quality of wide and deep layering, but it's only approachable in the sense of parallelisms as in-line rhymes suited around sentences in paragraphs.

Born into the searing heat | I've broken here to reflect upon the caesura which offers a slight pause and to highlight that this portion offers no parallelism (I also don't like the reuse of 'heat' so many times, but that's a critique issue, not for this discussion -- unless you used another word which held parallelism with 'heat' instead)
of sun, unaware of what’s to come.
You never understood what heat could do(1).

They took your heat out on you.(2) <-- (1)+(2) = end-line-rhyme
Burned it on your arm with cigarettes.

But still you chose to shine(3). <-- line-mirror partialism
They bid you smile, that’s why(4). <-- (3)+(4) = partial end-line rhyme; in-line rhyme

You grew, fed by all that warmth,
until the cigarette stung your lungs. <-- in-line rhyme
You were burning up inside. <-- partial end-line rhyme with (3+4)

What will you do with your fire? <-- partial end-line assonance with (3+4)
Smoke streaming from your soul. <-- in-line assonance stretched from start-line to end-line (known as an 'assonant cage/frame')
Turn your heat on me,
your child, born in July? <-- in-line rhyme, echoes (3+4), partial disyllabic end-line in July with (3+4)

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Kie. I think I'm starting to get it. I see stuff that wasn't pointed out like "understood" and "could" - in-line rhyme. And took picks up that vowel sound in the next line to carry the reader through.

I'm still not sure I get the line mirror partialism at (3). I'm also not sure understanding the terms matters. I should clarify that. It helps for the discussion of poetry to have everyone on the same page, even in critiques, but it may not matter for the actual writing. Seeing what I've done lets me know that the ear and eye are more important than the terminology.

However, words are cool things. Perhaps being able to label the parallelisms does help one see them more clearly and seek to use them more consciously. It will be interesting to see if the poems of your students in this discussion change. Most interesting, indeed.

In any case, I'm moving this to SYW in a revised format.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I missed the partial rhyme of 'could' and 'understood' -- it's a partial monosyllabic rhyme. Mono- because the rhyme is in 'could' as taken from a single syllable that doesn't carry over the 2 syllables from 'understood'. No excuse for my sloppiness there -- just missed it! And because of that missed 'took' too.

Line-mirror rhyme is when the 2 words central to the verse rhyme:

I am a man canned with baked beans

The partialism marked at (3) is you chose. However, it's a very partial partialism :)

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I missed the partial rhyme of 'could' and 'understood' -- it's a partial monosyllabic rhyme. Mono- because the rhyme is in 'could' as taken from a single syllable that doesn't carry over the 2 syllables from 'understood'. No excuse for my sloppiness there -- just missed it! And because of that missed 'took' too.

Line-mirror rhyme is when the 2 words central to the verse rhyme:

I am a man canned with baked beans

The partialism marked at (3) is you chose. However, it's a very partial partialism :)

I'm glad you missed the rhyme. It gave me the chance to see for myself. Are you reading chose as choose? That would explain my confusion. Come to think of it, maybe it should be choose.

Thanks, again.

Last edited: