Opinions of Palin/Biden debate

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
When asked about her Achille's heel, she went on and on about all the great things she's done and will do. It showed a lack of humility, introspectiveness, and honesty. There was another instance of this, something about an example of a long-held belief that she's had to change. I can't remember the wording, but her answer was she had to pass a state budget she didn't agree with. Again, it said "I'm pretty darn perfect so it's hard to find an example in answer to your question."

I don't think she understood the question. I don't think she knew the meaning of the phrase "Achilles' heel..." There was no comprehension in her answer or her demeanor.

I thought she was simply too flippant for a serious debate. Calling the senator "Joe" (so she could do some rhymes), while he always referred to her as Governor Palin.

Here's a link with some reactions of Republicans:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/5/7520/71415/807/620582

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, rugcat, for the link. That's telling it like it is! I can't help but wonder how much more foolish Americans look to the Europeans after this embarrassment.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
lol, Rug. "Left leaning"? By american standards, most of the European press is "left leaning" and the "Guardian" is so far to the left, it can't see the center.
You sound like Fox News talking about MSNBC.

The Guardian is a liberal paper. That's about it. I happen to think that particular column is spot on (to use a UKism) which is one of the reasons I linked it. I'm aware that there are other views.

Takvah

Not a D list ego massager...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, rugcat, for the link. That's telling it like it is! I can't help but wonder how much more foolish Americans look to the Europeans after this embarrassment.

I know that every day of my life I hold my head in shame for being called an "American". Why? Well because the world thinks we're all idiots. Technically, I am of German and Norwegian decent. Maybe I should change my name to Klaus or Leif so that I not be forced to suffer this embarrassment.

The self-loathing is just laughable... really, it is. If Europe be the bar by which we as a nation are measured, that's NEWS TO ME.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Takvah, if you're shamed or full of self-loathing then that is your choice. I was referring to Palin's performance was so embarrassing that we (Americans) probably look foolish for her to be a serious contender for VP.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
This analysis is pretty cool- who would have they'd analyze this? I think stuff like this shows more into their character than what we hear, sometimes. In this case, it emphasizes a lot of what we've discussed so far in the thread- that Palin was dancing around issues and being very stereotypically politician-y. What surprised me, though, was Biden's speaking level. If someone were to ask me before I read that, I would have put him on a higher speaking level than Palin. He used much more business-like terms, particularly toward the beginning of the debate. I found that Palin was much more easy to understand and follow, as far as how she worded herself.

We had a thread on this in the forum. Higher speaking level is not necessarily a good thing. If you run a reading level of your writing in Microsoft Office, for example, it incorporates all kinds of difficulties including passive voice, garbled sentence structure, words per sentence and syllables-per-word. The article doesn't mention how accurate the word program is, so I'd be careful about making it an automatic positive or negative.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
You sound like Fox News talking about MSNBC.

The Guardian is a liberal paper. That's about it. I happen to think that particular column is spot on (to use a UKism) which is one of the reasons I linked it. I'm aware that there are other views.
Left and right are very different in Europe than in US. Europe, in general is more to the left than US. So, their "left-leaning" sources are hard to the left in American terms. And I said nothing about the piece. I only talked about your choice of words.
icon10.gif