Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

Re: The Uncle Jim Documentation Project

Just a thought, Uncle Jim: I wonder if a place like fictionwise might be willing to post the final document as an e-book?

maestrowork

Just a thought, Uncle Jim: I wonder if a place like fictionwise might be willing to post the final document as an e-book?

Maybe PA will print that? :grin

HConn, congrats on being the 1000th post. You win a kiss from Elvis.

James D Macdonald

How about a PoD from CafePress?

Of course, I'd want to have it professionally edited first....

ChunkyC

Re: e-book

:shrug Okay, obviously folks feel an e-book is a bad idea (or a joke). Personally Uncle Jim, a version of your posts that I could carry with me on my PDA would be an enormously valuable resource. I have a dial-up connection at home and repeatedly reviewing all your stuff online would cost me an arm and a leg. That's all I was thinking of. And since Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine publishes an electronic version of their magazine on fictionwise and has a link to them, I thought they must be pretty legit as far as e-publishers go.

Anyway, it was just a thought, Uncle Jim. They're your words to do with what you will. :)

evanaharris

If someone's got adobe acrobat, we could convert it to a .pdf, so people could download it (and view it on their palm pilots, etc.)

I'm clipping along at just over half-way there, btw, guys, should have the file to Jim in a couple of days, so he can edit himself.

Excellent, Mac. I'll be ready for it.

wwwatcher

Um

I don't know... I may be wrong but I'm guessing Uncle Jim had something planned for this before he even began.

I guess it depends which chessman Jim sees himself as.

Faye:coffee

Question: Which one of these is Uncle Jim's group?

:thewave

:dancin

or

:cheer ???

paritoshuttam

3rd person POV and thoughts?

Hi folks,

I am from India. Posting first time here.

I am using the third person POV. I can manage with a character's normal thoughts but I have problems when the character has to take decisions, has to do a lot of self-questioning.

Consider a scenario where character A has to decide between marrying character B and C. Obviously she will be thinking on the lines of is B better or C? I find I end up having a whole lot of question marks in such passages. Doesn't look good to me.

Any ideas how to handle it better? Using first person POV?

Thanks,
Paritosh.

sfsassenach

Jim--doing a CafePress book

FWIW, Cathy Shaidle ["Relapsed Catholic" blogger] used Cafe Press to publish a booklet, and posted that she was very happy with the result.

HConn

Paritosh, change those questions to statements. Instead of self-questioning, have the character make definitive statements based on the answers to those questions (which she already knows, because she's asking herself :) ).

Because you're right. All those questions don't read well.

maestrowork

Re: Um

I agree with HConn. You can still ask questions without actually asking the "questions." E.g. if you have to ask the question, "Is B better than C? Which one should I choose?" You can rewrite it as: "I have no idea which one is better. I don't know how to choose."

James D Macdonald

Re: 3rd person POV and thoughts?

You pretty much have three choices ...

Shorten the scene significantly -- only one question.

Show the scene from someone else's point of view.

Delete the scene and let your character's subsequent actions reveal her thoughts.

James D Macdonald

Reprinted from Elsewhere

In my never-ending stream of copying my earlier posts from elsewhere: this is from <a href="http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/001541.html#001541" target="_new">Making Light</a>.

<hR>

Let's see if I can clarify a bit more about the difference between vanity publishing and recording your own music to sell after your gig:

There's no quality control in the world of vanity press publishing.

With the self-published musician, there is quality control. If the musician weren't at least half-way competent, he'd never have the gig in the first place to sell the disks after the show. And you've already heard his music, and you've liked it enough to want to have a bit of it to take home.

With the self-published fiction author, most times the manuscript is ... slush. No one would read it willingly.

The exception to this is in non-fiction. If you happen to be the world's foremost expert on some obscure subject, you can write and self-publish a monograph and have people pay you for a copy. If you're delivering lectures from the platform, you can say "Copies of my book are available at the back of the hall," and no one will blink. If you're written a local history, you can sell it in a local bookstore -- no interest anywhere else in the country, lots of interest right in that one location.

Note, though, that in all those cases there is quality control. You first have to have a reputation as the world's expert on something, or you have to have hired and filled the hall, or you have to have convinced the bookstore owner to carry your book. None of those things are easy.

If someone says "It's easy. Just give me your credit card...." that person doesn't have your best interests at heart.

<hr>

Another factor in quality of product in the vanity fiction area is the availablity of legitimate outlets.

If you were living in the 19th c. and you'd written the very best erotic novel in the world, it couldn't get legitimately published, and so would be privately printed. A fair number of the privately printed 19th c. erotic novels are pretty good.

Here, now, if you've written the very best erotic novel in the world, there are any number of legitimate, advance-and-royalty paying, sales in major bookstores, publishers who will be slavering to hear from you. Thus the only erotic novels that are vanity published are either a) very badly written, or b) of such small niche interest that it wouldn't repay publication (the erotic potential of women's right middle toes, and even then if the book is really the Best in the World, it could be legitimately published as Magic Realism and those who liked that sort of thing would get an extra bonus), or c) actively illegal (pre-teen bestiality incest, frex) (And some of those can be well-written too, if you can get past the squick factor).

Getting down to the main point: if you've written the greatest sword-and-sorcery novel in the world, lots of publishers will be lining up to publish you. If you've written a basically competent sword-and-sorcery novel, lots of publishers will be ready to publish you. If you've written a pretty-much-okay sword-and-sorcery novel and the timing's right, the book will get published, though perhaps after a few rejections.

Which means that the only sword-and-sorcery novels that you'll find from the vanity press are the ones where the author's only writing skill is the ability to write a check, and the very, very, exceedingly rare good book whose author was totally scammed. But no one will ever hear of that very, very rare book because readers and bookstores and everyone else go "avert! avert!" when they see the vanity label.

Very few read slush manuscripts for fun. No one reads a second slush manuscript for fun.

<hr>

I've been reading <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560252758/ref=nosim/madhousemanor" target="_new">The Gangs of New York</a> which has some interesting descriptions of con games and swindles from the 19th c., things like selling gold bricks, the banko game, and a varient on the pigeon drop.

In the varient, the con man approaches a fellow and offers to sell him a bag of counterfeit money for pennies on the dollar (one enterprising grifter sent out advertising flyers through the mail making the offer). The bag of money is shown, and the mark is invited to take a sample to any bank to have the bill checked out -- it's such a perfect counterfeit that no bank clerk can detect the fakery. The mark takes the bill, goes, and wow! It really does work! This is great stuff. He comes back, buys the whole bag of counterfeit money, and -- when he opens it -- finds only cut up newspaper. (Need I mention that the reason the counterfeit bill passes muster is because it isn't really counterfeit?)

(Another scam, not mentioned so far in that book at least, involves going to the racetrack and going around advising people about horses that are sure winners. The trick is that you recommend every single horse that's running in a given race to various people. In the course of talking with the mark, you slap him on the back, putting a chalk mark on his coat. After the race, you hang out at the pay window, and watch for people with your chalk mark on his coat. As they're counting their money you come up and say "Hey, remember me? I gave you that tip. How about a tip for me?")

Not too bad a scam.

<hr>

Back to the literary scams of the current day:

We have some nefarious deeds decribed here:

<A HREF="
http://www.writersweekly.com/warnings/helping.html" target="_new">http://www.writersweekly.com/warnings/helping.html</a>

And more about the Helping Hand Agency here:

<A HREF="http://www.sfwa.org/beware/general.html#titsworth" target="_new">http://www.sfwa.org/beware/general.html#titsworth</a>

Find out the name of the detective assigned to the case!

<HR>

Here's something:

Not to be confused with the well-known http://www.promedia.com/ we find http://www.promediainc.net/.

Promedia Entertainment has apparently been placing newspaper ads all over the place, selling their training materials.

Who knew that there was such a screaming shortage of script readers in Hollywood that folks who had taken a $50 videotaped course could get high-paying jobs working at home reading scripts?

<hr>
<hr>

And ... next, a grammar quiz:

Golly.

<a href="http://quizilla.com/users/BaalObsidian/quizzes/How%20grammatically%20sound%20are%20you%3F/" target="_new">How Grammatically Sound Are You?</a>

I, of course, am a Grammar God.

allion

Re: Re:Grammar Gods

I am also a Grammar God (but I still get twisted up by "lie" versus "lay" and all the variants between them).

I have these vivid memories of being in Grade 8 and gleefully outlining the parts of a sentence in different pencil crayon colours.

Yes, I was a strange kid...

:gone

PixelFish

Er. Uncle Jim, at the risk of sounding terribly naive, what the heck is frex? I looked it up but only found a lot of non-English websites. (Not in the dictionary either.)

PixelFish

Re: Re:Grammar Gods

Ah. And here I thought it was something kinky I had never heard of.

(Context from Uncle Jim's previous post for those of you wondering how I confused "for example" with something kinky: it could be legitimately published as Magic Realism and those who liked that sort of thing would get an extra bonus), or c) actively illegal (pre-teen bestiality incest, frex) )

jpwriter

RE: Grammar Gods

I am a grammar God! I have always been good at multiple choice. :snoopy
Jerry

SRHowen

Grammar god--guess that means I can keep my editing job.

Shawn

wwwatcher

GiGi

Thanks for the quiz; I never would have thought I was a Grammar God!

"Frex"? Isn't that Shrek's second cousin twice removed?

Faye:grr

MacAl Stone

Re: RE: Grammar Gods

maybe "Grammar God" is the only score they give...

4_13_3.gif

jeffspock

Grammar deification

I too was designated a GG :hail , though I am not sure I am worthy.

Out of curiosity, I went back and changed all 20 of my answers. My result was:

"You are an AVERAGE speaker of English.

Not much more to say about you..."

This makes me wonder.

stefpub

Re: RE: Grammar Gods

GG too, even if I like the occasional split infinitive and I try to forget the English quote rules that pollute my French.

Status
Not open for further replies.