• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
The sentiment is appreciated. I was pretty disappointed but at the same time, neither Scott nor Emily had read any of the novel before making their request, so I did my best to not get my hopes up too much. I get much more excited about requests that come as a result of included pages.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
The sentiment is appreciated. I was pretty disappointed but at the same time, neither Scott nor Emily had read any of the novel before making their request, so I did my best to not get my hopes up too much. I get much more excited about requests that come as a result of included pages.

Yeah me too. I hear it's a good idea to always send included pages unless they specifically state not to.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
a lot of agents I've been querying have been no-responsers to me specifically even though they've R'd other folks. It's so weird :/

This seems to be the case for me too. I feel like my emails have to go through the bermuda triangle to get to NY. Maybe, they never make it.

NNSakusha

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninanakayama.blogspot.com
I almost fainted when I received a partial request from Paige Wheeler. She was super fast (1-day reply to an equery sent two weeks ago). She requested a partial, synopsis, and bio. I see others have been having great luck with the Folio agents as well. Best of luck to everyone! (=

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried on May 24th with first chapter and just got a request for the first three chapters today :) I think that's a little more than three weeks.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Cicily Janus, Scott Hoffman's intern, has had my full for six weeks today. Here's hoping...

NickSaw

Novelist for Sale
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicksawatsky.blogspot.com
On Scott's bio it says he would respond in up to two weeks and if we have not heard from him in two weeks, to resend. 13 days thus far. Although he is supposed to be swamped so I won't resend for another week or so.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Scott and Cicily have been swamped lately. It took them a month to respond to my query with a request, so the two weeks deadline isn't a definite one.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I received a reply today from a query I sent to Marcy Posner n June 8th. Apparently she only reads on an exclusive basis so if no other agents are looking at my ms, she'd like me to send it.

Well, other agents are looking at it and I'm not cool with exclusives in the first place.

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
I received a reply today from a query I sent to Marcy Posner n June 8th. Apparently she only reads on an exclusive basis so if no other agents are looking at my ms, she'd like me to send it.

I received a request and had a full out so couldn't give her the exclusive. I emailed her asking if she'd still be interested without the exclusive and never heard back. Guess that was a no.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Usually when agents ask for an exclusive (not having seen the wording of this e-mail which sounds like it might be stricter than usual), I send my response with the requested material in it, telling them that here it is if they want to read, but I can't grant the exclusive. I also add that I will let them know if there are further developments with the agents who have the novel already.

I've never had one refuse to read it.

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Usually when agents ask for an exclusive (not having seen the wording of this e-mail which sounds like it might be stricter than usual), I send my response with the requested material in it, telling them that here it is if they want to read, but I can't grant the exclusive. I also add that I will let them know if there are further developments with the agents who have the novel already.

I emailed back offering to send it as it's being read by other agents. If she's interested, I guess she'll email me back. If not, oh well...

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
See, I like sending it with the e-mail because it's oh, so easy for them to open it up and start reading the novel (or print it out or put it in their TBR file, whatever), maybe not even looking at the body of your e-mail, rather than having to take an extra step of reading the e-mail and replying.

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
See, I like sending it with the e-mail because it's oh, so easy for them to open it up and start reading the novel (or print it out or put it in their TBR file, whatever), maybe not even looking at the body of your e-mail, rather than having to take an extra step of reading the e-mail and replying.

Oooh... not a bad strategy. Well, she does have a couple of chapters.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Cicily sent my manuscript to Scott "in hopes that he'll like it as much as [she] did."

OH MY GOD I'M FREAKING OUT A LITTLE OVER HERE.

saintnepal

Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't recommend sending an unrequested ms . . . their firewall may bounce your email for one, but the other is they just generally don't like it. A short, one-page query followed by the first 5 pages in the body of the email is always better.

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Cicily sent my manuscript to Scott "in hopes that he'll like it as much as [she] did."

OH MY GOD I'M FREAKING OUT A LITTLE OVER HERE.

Yay, Beckstah!! Fingers crossed for you! Congrats!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, that sounds promising, Beckstah :D