Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume VI)

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
M, divorce sucks. I’m sorry. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

You mean I get a T-shirt when I'm done?! I won't be able to wear it until June, but hey!

I don’t have places to store everything. Maybe I’ll just leave it all sitting on the counter? That ought to work well.

I take it that you have no pets? Jackson would eat it all, even if it wasn't remotely something that cats would typically eat. Or he'd push it onto the floor for Abbie once he figured out he didn't like it.

Southie, I find it distressing at best when the retailers don't wait for Thanksgiving before setting up for Christmas, with a little Chanukah thrown in as a sop.

One year, the grocery stores decided that Jews eat matzoh for every holiday, and put it out early for Chanukah. The other part of the joke is that Chanukah was later by a month that year.

At any rate, I feel like the earlier the material part of Christmas happens, the worse retailers have been doing the rest of the year. It seems ridiculous for an entire industry to operate in the red for 11/12ths of the year. If they stopped marking up stuff by such a steep percentage, maybe people would be able to buy more stuff throughout the year. Or, hey, pay the majority of people a living wage. Now there's an idea.

I'm going to scour the apartment for nicer stuff to donate to the local food pantry's thrift store. It's the only way I can help others right now, and I'm gonna do it.

Bryan, welcome back to your home. Enjoy and savor it all.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I have a cat, and yeah, he would totally eat anything I left out. I found a home for everything, including space for a turkey in my freezer. Since some of us in the house are vegan, it’s a pretty small bird.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Since some of us in the house are vegan, it’s a pretty small bird.

Most of us here are vegetarian or vegan. Because of Maurice, I can eat only meat, fish, potatoes, and rice. But, I think I will pass this year on my annual ruining of a turkey event, and just have a nice piece of salmon, which I consider a treat.

Skylar does most of the cooking anyhow. He's gotten out of the habit, though, being away at school. Hayden's taste runs to pizza, mac and cheese, and vegetarian nuggets. I see a very strange menu creating itself here.

:crazy:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. We always have a strange menu.

And I just realized I forgot two essential ingredients, so I guess I'm heading back to the store tomorrow. I know if I wait until I'm back from my trip, I won't go. Thanksgiving is also my youngest child's birthday, which means I need to have everything for that, as well. The thought of all the cooking and cleaning makes me a little nauseous.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
So, uh, guess you guys don't want to know how long I've been planning for Christmas, eh? :gone: (fwiw - we don't do thanksgiving OR Hallowe'en here)

In my defence, I need to organize things so I can avoid crowds (and possible illness). I do not want to end up in hospital again, thank you very much. Also, I have to send stuff overseas, so I need to get that done early.

Woo hoo for sleeping in your own bed, Bry! Enjoy!

MRF - everything I've heard and read about divorce leads me to believe that it sucks mightily. :Hug2:Just remember - this too shall pass (like a kidney stone).

Lil - I'm good with all the cooking (spaced out so I don't get exhausted), but the cleaning is an evil that needs to happen.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Lady V, you sound happy to be getting laid off? Am I reading into things.

Lady V, it does sound like your looking forward to the lay off. I too wonder if I'm reading that right.

You would both be correct. My layoff allows me to recuperate my body for a few months and I can make appointments without missing a day of work. Mostly, I'm just looking forward to time off.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, uh, guess you guys don't want to know how long I've been planning for Christmas, eh? :gone: (fwiw - we don't do thanksgiving OR Hallowe'en here)

In my defence, I need to organize things so I can avoid crowds (and possible illness). I do not want to end up in hospital again, thank you very much. Also, I have to send stuff overseas, so I need to get that done early.

Getting ready and planning is a totally different story. I'm all for that!

You would both be correct. My layoff allows me to recuperate my body for a few months and I can make appointments without missing a day of work. Mostly, I'm just looking forward to time off.

Well then, hooray! :)

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Been doing baking stuff since the beginning of November. I have to pace myself. No more marathon baking days for me, they take me three days to recover from. Only a little over two weeks before I put my decorations up. :) I freely admit I am an unapologetic Christmas elf. It's my favourite holiday.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well, I usually put my tree and decorations up the day after Thanksgiving (which is Nov 23rd this year, for all you non-USA peeps). I try to get it all packed up the first week in January. Don't always succeed, but that's my goal.

I like the holidays a lot, I really do. I just don't have a lot of people to buy for this year. I think my kids are just going to want money. I don't usually send my extended family gifts--there are too many of them, it's too expensive to mail everything, and they never send me anything either. We used to draw names for a gift exchange, but our families have become just so large, it's not realistic anymore. So this year is going to be less intense than other years. I hope to travel and that's all I'm worried about at this point.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
My decorations go up on 1 December, and come down on 1 January. That is a very firm tradition in this family.

My boys mostly just want books and electronic games, which makes it kind of interesting trying to wrap those. Usually what I do is create a picture of the game they want and then wrap the pic in some kind of container - because the games they want are all online. I don't exchange gifts with my extended family either - mostly because none of them speak to me from one end of the year to the next.

It's good to have a less intense time of things. You get to enjoy it a bit more if you're not stressing about buying the right present and such.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Right?

I'm a little worried about my trip coming up this week. I'm hoping I'll be able to relax and enjoy things and eat okay food (even though we're going to be at Disney World and Universal Studios all day) so I won't be miserable.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason you won't be able to relax? I hope you will have a fabulous time and there'll be lots of food there you can eat.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
There are three reasons. Well, six, if you want to get technical. My three kids and my sister's three kids. Luckily mine are older. But also? I hate crowds.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Yeah, kids can definitely put a cramp on relaxing. I totally hear you on the crowds thing. That's the main reason I have always tried to get my Christmas shopping done before 1 December - I hate, hate, hate being in crowds.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Me, too. It was way worse when the kids were little and I had to try and keep an eye on them as they ran around like animals. Cell phones and growing up have made me feel much safer taking them into crowded places. But my sister's kids are young...

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't relax much at all when we were out when my boys were young. Hopefully your sister keeps good control over her kids so you can relax.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
She’s an amazing mom and her kids are stellar. But even the best kids get tired, cranky, hot, hungry, and lost.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m sure we’ll have a great time.

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The tech took my laptop around 2pm today. So, I went home :). It was a good thing cause I fell asleep for a bit more than an hour. And the hubby came home from deplou]home t 3 days early!!

Of course the dingbat didn’t put in his leave request, so my last day here he has duty.

But enjoying everyone at home!

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'm so happy about Australia's overwhelming YES vote, I could cry. But I'm trying not to, coz I'm at work. :e2cry:

Beanie5

Live a poem...Or die a fool. \/
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I had to take six kids from 8 months to twelve years shopping including at xmas , as long as you don't value your sanity its not a problem