Chinese Democracy

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Does anybody care? GNR was one of the best things to ever happen to rock and roll back in 1988. 20 years later are they even marginally relevant? I'm listening to some of their tracks on MySpace and it sounds like just another over-engineered album without a soul. It's decent but it lacks any sort of edge.

Apetite for Destruction was an audio A-Bomb and a cultural F-Bomb. I remember my brother playing it for me on a copied tape in my car a year before anyone heard of them and being absolutely blown away. Chinese Democracy seems more like Axl sitting in a home recording studio for a decade.

gabbleandhiss

1% Irish, 99% blarney
Registered
Reaction score
Chinese Democracy is absolutely amazing. I've heard the songs in various forms over the years and to this day manage to hum a different song in the shower every morning.

"Madagascar" is one of the best songs I've ever heard from any artist. It's worth buying the album for that song alone. Ranks up there with "Estranged" and "One in a Million" for me. Same for "TWAT" and "Catcher in the Rye".

So far, it's sold about 1 million copies worldwide after 2 weeks (it was released a bit earlier in some countries than it was in the US). So, yes, people do still care.

As for AFD, I could probably go the rest of my life without ever having to hear it again.

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
I listened to the whole thing on their MySpace before it came out and blogged about it here.

I thought it was awful and completely lacked any GNR spark.

Dark Cyril

Registered
Reaction score
I listened to the whole thing on their MySpace before it came out and blogged about it here.

I thought it was awful and completely lacked any GNR spark.

You know why that is, right?

Because GNR is now called by a different name, Velvet Revolver.

Axl should just change their name to a GNR song title, because that's all they are at this point, a GNR cover band. They may as well just start calling themselves "Axl and the Sweet Children." I've enjoyed the track they've got on Rock Band 2 for what it's worth, but I won't be picking up their new album.

Oh well, at least I'm getting a free Dr. Pepper out of the deal.

Last edited:

Severian

Registered
Reaction score
Chinese Democracy is, in my opinion, a triumph for Axl and was worth the wait.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded much of it and have only taken a quick listen. What I've heard so far didn't have the intensity of the old GNR.

Severian

Registered
Reaction score
I'll agree that if we were hoping for Appetite style GNR then we'd be very disappointed but I personally was ready to hear what Axl had come up with knowing it would be very different to the old stuff, so I dont seem to have suffered the disappointment most people seem to be expressing.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I pretty much hate it. I grew up listening to Guns 'n Roses in my childhood (even though I was born in the early 90s) and to me it just isn't the same. I mean structurally and musically it's tight, and decent. To my ears? It's crap.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
It sucks. If it would have come out about 10 years ago it would have been revolutionary but it just sounds like a derivative of some newer bands.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It sucks. If it would have come out about 10 years ago it would have been revolutionary but it just sounds like a derivative of some newer bands.

I kind of agree. The guy is lost.