• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Indie Book Reviewers

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
This review site was recommended on a fantasy forum I recently started perusing, and at a glance it looks alright to my untrained eye. Authors pay for a certain amount of reviews at 25 dollars each, but can veto reviews that aren't positive.
Should I go ahead? I really need reviews, my ebook just isn't getting noticed.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This whole set-up is completely disingenuous, at best. Reviews should be given freely and honestly, whether or not the author agrees with them; however, paying somebody to review your book and then vetoing it when you don't agree with it sounds like everybody's trying to game the system.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This review site was recommended on a fantasy forum I recently started perusing, and at a glance it looks alright to my untrained eye. Authors pay for a certain amount of reviews at 25 dollars each, but can veto reviews that aren't positive.
Should I go ahead? I really need reviews, my ebook just isn't getting noticed.

If the reviews are paid for and negative reviews get vetoed, doesn't that kind of work against the whole review process? (And if everyone knows that the negative reviews get vetoed, why would anyone except the book's author and her mum go and read them?)

I don't think it's a good idea.

ETA: To be fair, in their FAQ they say the writer isn't buying the review. I don't know much about self-publishing or about review sites, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks like you're buying a review and displaying the good ones and that looks like might be what kills the credibility. Rightly or not.

Last edited:

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I think mccardey has it about right. I often buy books according to reviews, but it has to be the kind of book I'd want to buy. Genre is more important to me than some stranger's opinion on your characters or world.

Since novels aren't listed according to reviews, I wonder if a pair of 5-star blurbs would do much good, anyway. I'd focus on completing the second book in your series.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Who's to say anyone will read these reviews, anyway?

I looked them up on Alexa.com, and their global Internet rank is over 15 million. Not great.

Before I paid for a review, I'd like to know how they're reaching out to other readers and industry professionals.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I wonder, since bad reviews can be vetoed and those people get paid to review, do they ever give bad reviews in the first place?
Also, $100 is a lot when you don't know you're gonna earn that back in through book sales. And if you can be confident that you will, then your book is probably good enough to do without bought praise. No?

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that paid reviews are a good idea. Just my two cents. It would probably steer me away from an author who sought them out.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just wanted to note that they do editing/beta-reading/critiques as well (and I'm not certain they know the difference between those three) and that their "Who We Are" page is simply a gallery of their reviewers' pictures (or "likenesses").

The professionalism is astounding.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then they do a blast on Twitter to all of their followers (minimum 1500 each).
IN ADDITION, your book (and its review) will be tweeted about at least 5x from each reviewer to his or her followers with the links to Amazon. All of our reviewers have a minimum of 1500 followers (most have many, many more…our top guy has 100k+) and are all related to the reading writing industry (such as other writers, readers, bloggers, etc…). Because let’s face it. You singing the praises of your own book can come across as amateurish and possibly annoying. The trick is to get OTHERS to sing your books praises to thousands of people…And not just any people…the right people!
Bold mine.
Q. So am I essentially "buying" good reviews?
A. No. In fact, you aren't "buying" reviews at all. Our reviewers aren't being paid for reading your book and writing a review... while they do receive small compensation for their time, the vast majority of the money goes back into advertising so we can reach and serve as many authors as possible. And that isn't cheap!

Q. Why charge at all? If you guys love reading so much, why not do it for free?

A. We started off that way...and our group grew bigger and bigger and more work was involved and the requests were nearly drowning us. We decided the smartest thing to do would be to attach a very nominal fee to the service, that way we only get serious authors who are passionate about their careers and serious about their marketing. Our time and resources are valuable. And we are offering them for a steal because we do love reading and Indie authors! Plus this way we can advertise (on Google, Yahoo, and other sites) and reach more authors who otherwise might not know where to go for help.
:Wha:

Hell, for that much money, I can buy actual advertising on a couple sites.

Last edited:

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
Can't find any links to any of the reviews they posted. I think if I ever were going to pay for reviews, I'd check some of them to make sure that they do actually read the book and not leave just bog-standard stuff that is copied/pasted from one book to the next :(