• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ladybird Critique Service

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.ladybirdcritique.com/5301.html

What do you guys think of this?

The writers on the Woman's World forum are mostly skeptical. I submitted a comment to the website saying it would be great if they listed the titles of the stories that have been accepted after they had been critiqued. I received a reply back saying their privacy policy doesn't allow them to release author names. But that's not what I'd asked for.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Considering they can't decide whether their name is Ladybird or Lady Bird .... pass.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I also noticed an issue or two with commas and periods on that page. ;) Anyway, they should list the titles of stories that were accepted after their critiques. How else can they back up their claims? And why not give more information about their "extensive experience"? Sigh.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
you'd have to want to be robbed to even consider something like this.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
If you can meet your general writing expenses then you can afford Lady Bird critique services. For example: Our editors will evaluate your romance and mini mystery story for a nominal fee of 24.95

What the HELL does that even mean.

Run. Run fast and don't look back.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
From the "Woman's World" page:

http://www.ladybirdcritique.com/4752.html

Editors read the first page of a manuscript, sometimes only the first paragraph before tossing it into the slush pile or offering you a contract.

Umm...no.

They may toss it after one paragraph, but they're certainly not going to offer a contract after one paragraph. Either this shows a stunning lack of knowledge or the inability to correctly craft a sentence. Either way, this is no place to pay for professional advice.

I'm glad the ladies at the Woman's World forums know better.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I've had another email exchange with "Ladybird." She (he?) said that they won't list titles, because titles are tied to names, and many writers don't want their work to be linked with an editing service. And, although they might consider it in the future, she/he doesn't like the idea of posting testimonials because it violates their confidentiality policy.

If the author agreed to it, how could it violate the policy?

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've had another email exchange with "Ladybird." She (he?) said that they won't list titles, because titles are tied to names, and "many writers don't wish for their work to be identified with an editing service." And, although they might consider it in the future, she/he doesn't like the idea of posting testimonials because it violates their confidentiality policy.

If the author agreed to it, how could it violate the policy?

don't waste your time emailing this person.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Editors read the first page of a manuscript, sometimes only the first paragraph before tossing it into the slush pile or offering you a contract.
Toss it *into* the slush pile????? Freudian, you think?

EIC

Registered
Reaction score
Lady Bird Critique Services

I have it on good authority that Lady Bird Critique is legit. From what I've heard in the rumor mills, the critique agency was formed by a group of editors who work full time at various big name magazines. They do not reveal their names because their employers have not yet approved this sideline business. But from what I have heard, they are slammed with manuscripts. I may give them a try.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I thought editors 'got' the manuscript from a slushpile.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They do. I, for one, would be wary of an editing service which displays such fundamental errors in both editing and understanding.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Who is the good authority?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have it on good authority that Lady Bird Critique is legit. From what I've heard in the rumor mills, the critique agency was formed by a group of editors who work full time at various big name magazines. They do not reveal their names because their employers have not yet approved this sideline business. But from what I have heard, they are slammed with manuscripts. I may give them a try.
Another good reason to take a step back. While the business is up and running now, we have no guarantee it's even going to be there next week.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

Really? But, erm, wouldn't editors at big-name magazines know how publishing actually works and therefore not say rubbish like this:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

And your connection with them is......?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu

Could it be because running a critique service involves those *editors who work at big time magazines* in a serious conflict of interest?

Here's the thing: writers need to know how to edit and proof their own manuscripts. Period. "Good authority" isn't good enough. Lots of scams have "good authority." A legitimate business run by legitimate editors not only cite the editors' names and experience, but also list past and current clients and titles of works. For any critique service to claim this as a violation of confidentiality is enough to raise red flags.

And when the only information about the said service comes from rumor mills, it raises a fleet of red flags.

EIC

Registered
Reaction score
As I said, they have been slammed with manuscripts so I doubt they care whether or not you take a step back. LOL

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
As I said, they have been slammed with manuscripts so I doubt they care whether or not you take a step back. LOL
Perhaps not, but people here care about whether authors are getting value for their money. This service doesn't appear to have any value. And unwitting authors need to know that.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score

PA is slammed with manuscripts everyday. Your point is?

Last edited:

EIC

Registered
Reaction score
I am just saying the business is legit. I don't know of any other critique service that has professional magazine editors to critique the stories. It's a good deal and I am glad it is available.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I am just saying the business is legit. I don't know of any other critique service that has professional magazine editors to critique the stories. It's a good deal and I am glad it is available.

Enjoy. So what's your connection with them?

Last edited:

EIC

Registered
Reaction score
LadyBird Critique

My connection---I live in New York and know people in the publishing industry. LOL Actually, I understand everyone's concern but I thought you guys would like to know this critique service is legit. That's all. :)