About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Haven't even heard a peep about my proposed new topic.

And I really want to write about it--which, considering how much I hate to write, is sorta making me chuckle.

MrAlex'sMommy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fond of jinxing myself. I applied for Race Relations and Kids Parties & Celebrations. :) The Race Relations one is the 8 1/2 weeker. I'd be thrilled to pieces if someone else applied for it, because then we could get that sucker into prep! :D

If it's a matter of waiting for a prep group, that's fine. But if it turns out that I just suck and I'm not going to make it into prep anyway, I'd rather know sooner than later.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to jinx myself, but the topic is related to my job as a therapist. :)

novelette

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't even heard a peep about my proposed new topic.

And I really want to write about it--which, considering how much I hate to write, is sorta making me chuckle.

How long ago did you propose it? From what I've read at the site (I think under FAQ), it can be several months before they make a decision. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer!

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing cartwheels as you can imagine. I've been accepted into a prep!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are there any veterans who can give me guidance on how to prep for the prep?

I'm also interested in the time investment of prep. How many hours a day, how many weeks involved? I don't have a clear idea at all at this point.

Is there a standard number of people About.com wants in a prep? Five or 12? Again, I don't have a clue.

Thank you for your help. I've got to go calm down. . . somehow.

Alicia

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing cartwheels as you can imagine. I've been accepted into a prep!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are there any veterans who can give me guidance on how to prep for the prep?

I'm also interested in the time investment of prep. How many hours a day, how many weeks involved? I don't have a clear idea at all at this point.

Is there a standard number of people About.com wants in a prep? Five or 12? Again, I don't have a clue.

Thank you for your help. I've got to go calm down. . . somehow.

Alicia

Congrats!Prep has changed quite a bit since I did it, but I can try to answer a little.

There are up to 5 people in prep.

I believe now they have 2 phases - first you will write up some blogs and articles so they can see your style. That lasts 2 weeks, with the content due at points along that way.

Then, as long as they like your writing, you'll go into the 2nd stage. I can't find how long this lasts, but you'll learn how to use the content tools and put your content together into a site.

If they gave you any article topics, you could start researching and outlining them. Look at how other articles are written on About and study writing for the Web.

As for time - again, I don't know how it works now. I went through the 17 day hectic version. I worked a full time job then, so I only had so much time to work on mine. It was so blah - I was sick the night before Prep ended, so I struggled to get the last bit done.

If you'd be willing, will you PM me what topic you are doing? I just have friends who applied so I want to see if one of their topics has gone into Prep.

Again, congrats! Have fun, clear your schedule as possible, and get ready!

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Princess! That helps a lot.

I don't think my category is officially in prep or closed yet at all. I know it sounds insane, but I really am worried about doing anything to jinx this very cool occurrence.

I'm going to start reading your pages -- my lawn/front yard needs work!!

Thank you again,

A.

Deleted member 42

How long ago did you propose it? From what I've read at the site (I think under FAQ), it can be several months before they make a decision. I hope you don't have to wait too much longer!

Not that long, though it seems an eternity to me.

Maybe ten days.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
In an email they sent to me acknowledging my application to them, they told me it takes up to 8 weeks for them to review our submissions. Hectic but I'm with you Medievalist, it feels like forever. I think my application was about the same time as your suggestion.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Alicia! Here's what I would do. Review the info on the "Be A Guide" page for the topic you're competing for. Think about that information and how you'd divide it up and present it. Princessvessna's advice is very good. Familiarize yourself with basic (and I mean basic...you don't need more than that) HTML.

I did "old" Prep too, and it was very time-consuming. I am sure "new" Prep is less stressful, but you should plan for it to take up a lot of your time if you make it into the second part. About.com's publishing tools aren't hard to use, but they'll be new to you and you'll undoubtedly need time to get used to them.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Nancy.

I hope you're still reading: I'm a homeschooler too! It's like saying the word "red" and you see red dresses everywhere. All of a sudden, homeschoolers are everywhere.

I'm new to it -- my kids are young. We were in a "great" school that I didn't think was so great.

I'm so glad you hs, because I'm wondering if I can pull of hs and about.com at the same time. I'm getting the vibe that it's quite possible.

How do you keep up with all of your writing and hs?

Alicia

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Uh...I get up early and stay up late and fake like I'm still in college. Really.

My daughter's Irish dance recitals (2) were today and I worked during the times I wasn't volunteering. My laptop has been a HUGE help.

My children know about my work obligations and are old enough to entertain themselves when I am working. I have learned to block out the Sponge Bob theme song (gag) and to schedule writing tasks based on level of background noise. (Serious article writing - early A.M.; gratuitous Twitter fun - during Sponge Bob marathons.) I have trouble during basketball season because I have a hard time filtering out the play-by-play, LOL!

It's not a perfect solution - I often feel like I should be giving more time to both vocations, but there's only one of me and my husband works long hours, so I do my best. My biggest schedule juggle is not homeschooling, it is Irish dance. We make it work, but I sense a tech upgrade in my future (so I can work online from the dance studio).

Of course, in two months when semester reports are due I will be singing a different tune...

Marcelyn

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Alicia, that's great! I just checked in and saw the cool news. When do you start? Do you have a little time to get things together?

Can I be nosey and ask how you had a hint you might be going into prep before you got the email? I'm new to applying and don't want to sit on pins and needles if there's no cause to expect anything.

I've been so anxious to hear anything, that it's fun to get good news, even if I live it vicariously. Best of luck.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Marcelyn ~ I'm in an awkward situation and can't explain. Probably should have kept my mouth shut.

I would really, really, REALLY love the job, but I'm trying hard not to get too carried away.

The good folks who compete for a job and work so hard and then don't get it sound so angry.

I'm going into this knowing what the scoop is -- and trying to stay balanced about what the final outcome will be.

I've heard of great writers (I was told, never read their work) who were experts in their field and were ultimately turned down for the position. So I'm going into this knowing there's likely agendas and issues that the people in the prep program know nothing about.

Sorry I'm not being more helpful. But if I ever get to a place where I can be -- I will find you!!

Alicia

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Well, do let us know how the prep goes! I'm waiting for a response from About, but I've got until May at least. Blah!

You should be fine doing About and homeschooling!

There's a pro blogger in St. Louis who homeschools - Dana Loesch of www.mamalogues.com. She started by blogging, which got her a column in the paper and eventually an on air job at a talk station. She now does a Sunday night show, a couple hours a week as a 'guest' host in the morning, a political blog, a homeschooling blog... She is my hero. Maybe she's extra special, but she proves that moms can have a lot of irons in the fire and still pull it off. And she's like, 28, which makes me want to barf. (Is it ok to have a hero that makes you sick?)

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Sure it is! One of my homeschooling friends just had her 7th baby, bakes all her own bread, blogs, homeschools, etc. She even makes her own purses out of placemats. She's figured out what works for her and doesn't worry about the things she can't do (tons of team sports for her kids, Scouts, etc.). It's amazing. (I bake my own bread, but I'm no seamstress and my house is pretty disorganized.)

Crossing my fingers for everyone who's applied....

MamaLou

Banned
Reaction score
Sure it is! One of my homeschooling friends just had her 7th baby, bakes all her own bread, blogs, homeschools, etc. She even makes her own purses out of placemats. She's figured out what works for her and doesn't worry about the things she can't do (tons of team sports for her kids, Scouts, etc.). It's amazing. (I bake my own bread, but I'm no seamstress and my house is pretty disorganized.)

Crossing my fingers for everyone who's applied....

Um, do we hate her? LOL

I go into a tizzy if my son asks me to sew a one-inch hole in his jeans... I am SOOOOOOOOOO not a domestic goddess.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Marcelyn ~ I'm in an awkward situation and can't explain. Probably should have kept my mouth shut.

I would really, really, REALLY love the job, but I'm trying hard not to get too carried away.

The good folks who compete for a job and work so hard and then don't get it sound so angry.

I'm going into this knowing what the scoop is -- and trying to stay balanced about what the final outcome will be.

I've heard of great writers (I was told, never read their work) who were experts in their field and were ultimately turned down for the position. So I'm going into this knowing there's likely agendas and issues that the people in the prep program know nothing about.

Sorry I'm not being more helpful. But if I ever get to a place where I can be -- I will find you!!

Alicia

I would say just focus on doing the very best job you can do, and that's what matters. One thing to remember - there are up to 5 people vying for just 1 job. Even if they are all superb writers and top experts in their field - only one will get the gig. It doesn't mean you're a bad writer or unqualified if you don't - know what I mean?

Marcelyn

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alicia,

It sounds like you've got a good chance, and I'm rooting for you.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Marcelyn ~ Thanks, it would be an amazing boon for our life.

stldenise ~ Thanks for the blog recommendation -- I'll definitely check her out. Before I become a homeschooling mom I had preconceived notions about them.

Now that I'm meeting them many are dynamos'. I was hoping to meet mainstream homeschool moms and was bummed when I didn't, but then I started meeting these women who move to their own drum beat and accomplish the most amazing things.

It's been eye opening.

Good luck to everyone!

Alicia

Deleted member 42

Um, do we hate her? LOL

I go into a tizzy if my son asks me to sew a one-inch hole in his jeans... I am SOOOOOOOOOO not a domestic goddess.

Iron-on patches; one on the inside, one on the outside.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
I had to mend my husband's BDU's last night (military uniform) by hand - my sewing machine is so ancient I was afraid to use it on the ultra-durable fabric. I was NOT a happy mommy.

It does take a while to meet homeschoolers with interests and routines similar to yours because homeschoolers are so diverse. The things that draw families to homeschooling are different for each. Some of my daughter's friends (not homeschooled) told her Sunday that she wasn't like a typical homeschooled kid, but when I asked what a typical homeschool student was like, no one could tell me, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.