Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie Question-of-the-Week Thread

iWitty

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Helen Zimmermann

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Gone Girl. I know, I know, it's on the bestseller list and I should be embarrassed for myself, but my book group is reading it so kinda had to :) To be honest, the darn thing gave me bad dreams. That female character is SCARY! But it is indeed a page turner and sets the bar pretty high for psychological thriller/mystery.

Nonnawick

Registered
Reaction score
"A Dance with Dragons" Book 5 from the Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R.R. Martin.

zeewolf

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading only class-related material. =( The last book I read was Insurgent by Veronica Roth (I see someone above me has too!)

Nonnawick, I am jealous. That is the next book on my list but I am making myself wait until winter break. Between full-time classes and my own writing, time is precious. Still, I love that series and the wait is tearing me apart.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I read A Dance With Dragons a few months back. A very good book. God only knows when the next book is coming out, though.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I read A Dance With Dragons a few months back. A very good book. God only knows when the next book is coming out, though.

Of course, you are a little biased, I think. ;) (It was good. Waiting right along with you for the next one.)

Right now I'm reading The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan.

zenith

Life, Liberty, Pursuit of happines.
Registered
Reaction score
Well... I like the first of all of questions more than the question of the week. Do I get to chose? I can see the contrast in creativity of curiosities... we do come to a point where most of the question has already been asked and replied don't we? lol.

So... where would I go? If it's a trip of no return, I would pick the space, it feels like going into the vastly unknown, the Cosmo, and death and fear would feel "insignificant" to me within that flow of everything beyond...me. Where as the depth of ocean... it feels like going back to the womb, a place where everything was hidden, trapped, unseen but moving...that's a very intimate kind of fear and death.

I guess it means I find it easier to face the Cosmo beyond me than to face the darkness within, and may be my life is built on that subconscious choice.

Drainland

Registered
Reaction score
I'm nearly done with this:

464173727_f98dcbc777.jpg

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
I am halfway through A Storm of Swords, but switched to Cloud Atlas about a week ago. I want to finish it before the movie comes out.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
A whole bunch of them...

What Color Is Your Parachute (job-hunting guide)
Static, by AWer thethinker42, because I won a paperback in an online contest
The Goal (business novel, as research)

Loveless

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading (or at least trying to) The Lord Of The Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. I think I've picked it up like five times already only to drop it and fall asleep. I really loved the movies, but it seems such a shame that I can't get past the book. I just can't get around the whole singing parts here and there. All that's missing is for those elves to start break-dancing. Fancy that! Dancing elves :D

wilde is on my side

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently simutaneously reading two books. The main book is 'Armegeddon: The musical' by Robert Rankin but im also reading 'Political economony mass media' by Noam Chomsky and Edward Herman

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
I've got three on the go at the moment!

Bill Buford's Among the Thugs (cause he's just a beautiful writer and I've not read this one yet)

Fred Chappell's Dagon (with a terrific Goodread's bookclub I'm in)

Herman Melville's Moby Dick (with the Moby Dick Big Read)

Speaking of, if you guys are interested, Goodreads is a great place to communicate with people about literature, and also to start slowly building your platform before or after publication.

Likewise, if you haven't heard of it, the Moby Dick Big Read is super-awesome (hehe). Basically they're putting an audio file up once a day with a new chapter until it's finished. They began in September, and will be continuing for 135 days straight, with readings from some terrific authors and actors. Tildon Swinton read chapter one, for example. :) Anyway, good fun and a great way to enjoy MD if, like me, you've not yet read it!

Cheers!

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
I've mostly been reading 1880s-era books about London for my next novel plotting, but I also just finished Sherry Thomas' Tempting the Bride and enjoyed it a lot.

CatherineGreen

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Cassandra Clare's City of Bones, now I'm waiting for Amazon to have the whole series as a 'box set' download so I can read the rest. It's available tomorrow which mean I'd better hurry up and write more of my own book before I spend the next five days reading someone else's.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
New Question of the Week

I've noticed most of the shops in town have started putting their Christmas decorations up. So, to the question:

When do you/will you put your decorations up this year?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Weekend after Thanksgiving. It's a tradition in my family.

Though some of the neighbors had things up the weekend after Halloween. I resisted the urge to firebomb their yard and inflatable Santa.

:Wha:

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
We always do them on the 1st of December because it's a holiday here. Very much looking forward to doing it this year as we didn't last year. Also, there might be a chance we'll be doing Christmas Eve here, instead of at my grandparents, which is very exciting. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After Thanksgiving

writeontime

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any Christmas decorations going up. Clearly, I haven't been paying attention.

We don't bother with decorations in our house - it's not that we don't celebrate Christmas because we do. It's because we usually take flight during the Christmas break and fly off somewhere.