Does "completed" mean what I hope it means?

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
In my proposal, I said something about how my manuscript will be "completed within 6 months of the signing of the contract."

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask this before, but: "Completed" means pre-rewrite, correct?

In other words, 6 months doesn't imply that, say, I'll have it done in 3 months so that those other 3 months can be spent revising (and so that, at the 6 month mark, the MS will be totally & completely done)...right?

-Nancy

[Edited to clarify: by "have it done in 3 months," I meant "have it sent in to the editor in 3 months"]

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
nancy02664 said:
In my proposal, I said something about how my manuscript will be "completed within 6 months of the signing of the contract."

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask this before, but: "Completed" means pre-rewrite, correct?

In other words, 6 months doesn't imply that, say, I'll have it done in 3 months so that those other 3 months can be spent revising (and so that, at the 6 month mark, the MS will be totally & completely done)...right?

-Nancy

Comleted usually means ready to send to the editor. As an editor, if it isn't on my desk, it isn't completed.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Jamesaritchie said:
Comleted usually means ready to send to the editor. As an editor, if it isn't on my desk, it isn't completed.

Ok, thank you -- that's exactly what I was getting at.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
And completed doesn't mean "first draft." It means completed. This is your shot, so don't send in something that isn't as close to perfect as you can get it.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Nomad said:
And completed doesn't mean "first draft." It means completed. This is your shot, so don't send in something that isn't as close to perfect as you can get it.
Yes, of course -- this much I'd assumed. :) Thanks.